advertisement

A light-hearted what would you change if you could thread

It's interesting - we've been watching re-runs of To The Manor Born, and Yes Prime Minister on BBC recently and TTMB definitely hasn't aged well. It's not so much that the jokes are off colour by today's standards, but that the whole premise of the programme (posh person slowly learns to get on with foreign bloke despite him not being either English, or posh) doesn't fit with modern attitudes.
Yes, the plot line of white entitlement overthrown by foreign invaders is very much of Night of the Living Dead. Peter Bowles always had something odd about him

At 51 I was only a boy when Allo Allo and the Young Ones was on TV. Thought Allo Allo was ok, but the Young Ones was hilarious - haven't seen it since though...
Only a few months back, my 15 year old boy enjoyed Red Dwarf that much that he watched the whole series, twice.
We (gf and I) bought the box set of Only Fools and Horses a while back but only watched a couple of episodes. Not sure why but although we are, or were fans, we just couldn't get into it.
I went to see Allo Allo on stage (with the original cast from the series), I was actually rather shocked at how much more blatant the sexual humour was. Since then the TV series has struck me as rather tame. Still makes me smile occassionally.

I was once such a huge fan of Red Dwarf that I spent almost an entire afternoon watching episodes on VHS while staying at a friends house (who was out at work for the day), I couldn't get enough. I watch it today and I find it difficult to see what I found funny about it. There are moments obviously but I would struggle to watch more than one episode.

Only Fools and Horses I only ever found funny as a teen. But for a long time now I've not been able to watch it because it's been repeated ad nauseum over the years.

Autonomous shared cars. Order as needed, by type for your application and sit back, relax etc. At night they can hide themselves away, charging and leave our streets blissfully car free. Solves the terraces and flats issue too. Should be a national public sector project, never work if it’s fragmented.
Suggestion of the day award to that man.

Racist and sexist jokes are not about laughing at yourself
My comment did not mean all jokes had to be racist or sexist, it just seems to me you can't have a laugh about anything nowadays without someone complaining. Don't forget they are just jokes, and like I said the Brits have the p..s taken out of them but I still see the funny side. For anyone who doesn't understand what I mean go for a few beers with a bunch of Aussie blokes.

My comment did not mean all jokes had to be racist or sexist
Neither did I. But those jokes that are racist or sexist are not jokes about yourself. They are the precise opposite. They are a way of othering.

If you have told a joke that someone else has said is racist and sexist, is it not incumbent on you to think about that from the point of view of the person who has complained about being othered?

When you have been having a beery laugh with Aussie mates, who complained?

Neither did I. But those jokes that are racist or sexist are not jokes about yourself. They are the precise opposite. They are a way of othering.

If you have told a joke that someone else has said is racist and sexist, is it not incumbent on you to think about that from the point of view of the person who has complained about being othered?
In all honesty I can never remember telling a joke that as offended anyone in the group I've been in.

Mandatory permananent mobile phone confiscation from the numerous morons who walk around speaking awkwardly into the edge of their phones, thereby leaving the rest of us in sufference to both sides of their loud, inane conversations.
I was thinking something similar - add a feature to all phones that disables the speaker on public transportation.

I’d change mankind so they liked, yet didn’t misspell starngers.

I’d lobby strongly to get hops added too. (Obviously every glass of wine already counts towards the daily requirement because it has grapes in it, so if the powers that be want to raise the target from 5 to 12 bring it on, I say…)

I’d also insist that every post in a thread entitled ‘light-hearted’ actually was.
oh and I'd remove the anal pedants. They taste good stewed in wine apparently.
But I'd leave the dyslexics and those who just shake too much to type well. In a light hearted way ;)

advertisement

Back