advertisement

A light-hearted what would you change if you could thread

I can't abide a lot of the humour of yesterday.

One example would be Ronnie Barker and his obsession with boobs, stuttering, deafness and so on.

Cringeworthy.

Nora Batty's stockings might have been funny a long time ago.

But using the same joke in every episode is no longer funny.

I'd be interested to see what the world would be like if was impossible to lie.

One example would be Ronnie Barker and his obsession with boobs, stuttering, deafness and so on.

Cringeworthy.

It's interesting - we've been watching re-runs of To The Manor Born, and Yes Prime Minister on BBC recently and TTMB definitely hasn't aged well. It's not so much that the jokes are off colour by today's standards, but that the whole premise of the programme (posh person slowly learns to get on with foreign bloke despite him not being either English, or posh) doesn't fit with modern attitudes.

It's interesting - we've been watching re-runs of To The Manor Born, and Yes Prime Minister on BBC recently and TTMB definitely hasn't aged well. It's not so much that the jokes are off colour by today's standards, but that the whole premise of the programme (posh person slowly learns to get on with foreign bloke despite him not being either English, or posh) doesn't fit with modern attitudes.

I find a lot of it comes over as an old joke that's been repeated ad nauseam as well as using some stereotypes that don't exist now.

We saw trailers for yet another police based drama last night; having seen a few back to Dixon of Dock Green and Z Cars we feel we've done that genre to death.

Getting into some BFI player at the moment and we normally end up watching old / new stuff from different cultures which can be refreshing.

Yet some humour does last forever.

Fawlty Towers. If you skip past the Spanish waiter abuse.

Hancocks Half Hour.

“Half a pint!? ...
that's nearly an armful!"

Compulsory retirement at 41, fully paid by state (no idea how finances would work, don't care, but if I could I would).

All cars fitted with a laser and a laser sensor. Every driver is allowed three shots per day. If you laser another car it automatically disables the car so they have to spend 10 minutes waiting and thinking about how they should improve their driving until the engine starts and they can drive again. No more being cut up, dangerously overtaken, or lack of thank you's etc. when being let out.

Also, while I'm at it. My lungs are delicate, they have a ribcage to protect them... Where is the cage for my nuts? They are also delicate too. A bit of fast track evolution in this dept.

I got shouted down at a large family gathering, by the generation before mine, that ‘Allo Allo’ wasn’t funny and each episode consisted of the the same jokes. ‘Comedy was far funnier in our day’, yes go back and rewatch it, lots of it doesn’t stand up.

I was a massive fan of ‘The Young Ones’. It was quite embarrassing watching it with my teenage kids.

Cheers BB

Autonomous shared cars. Order as needed, by type for your application and sit back, relax etc. At night they can hide themselves away, charging and leave our streets blissfully car free. Solves the terraces and flats issue too. Should be a national public sector project, never work if it’s fragmented.

I'd make it so that nothing you might want to eat could cause any health issues. So everyone would be free to eat fatty or sugary foods etc to their hearts content if that's what they wanted to live on.

I got shouted down at a large family gathering, by the generation before mine, that ‘Allo Allo’ wasn’t funny and each episode consisted of the the same jokes. ‘Comedy was far funnier in our day’, yes go back and rewatch it, lots of it doesn’t stand up.

I was a massive fan of ‘The Young Ones’. It was quite embarrassing watching it with my teenage kids.

Cheers BB
At 51 I was only a boy when Allo Allo and the Young Ones was on TV. Thought Allo Allo was ok, but the Young Ones was hilarious - haven't seen it since though...
Only a few months back, my 15 year old boy enjoyed Red Dwarf that much that he watched the whole series, twice.
We (gf and I) bought the box set of Only Fools and Horses a while back but only watched a couple of episodes. Not sure why but although we are, or were fans, we just couldn't get into it.

Cringeworthy.

Then you better get used to the fact that whatever it is you personally find funny today will be considered either unacceptable or cringeworthy two generations from now.

I'd be interested to see what the world would be like if was impossible to lie.
I actually believe if that were the case that humans would become less sensitive and insecure. Obviously in a scenario where the inablity to lie "just happened" society would go to shit. But if people had grown up with that reality, they'd have learned to deal with it from a young age. It might actually end up with humans being far more tolerant of human failings.

I actually believe if that were the case that humans would become less sensitive and insecure. Obviously in a scenario where the inablity to lie "just happened" society would go to shit. But if people had grown up with that reality, they'd have learned to deal with it from a young age. It might actually end up with humans being far more tolerant of human failings.
Yes, I could see that.

advertisement

Back