advertisement

5D goes 50MP next week

Phew, good job my hipster detector was was set to low sensitivity with all those beards and matching low neck T shirts! Haha

Funnily enough I went from the 1Ds Mk 2 & 3 to a 1Dx and much prefer the handling. The images it produces too are stunning with so much detail. As for the Mk2 1Dx I'll have a butchers as I'd like another body to replace my 1D Mk4.

Funnily enough I went from the 1Ds Mk 2 & 3 to a 1Dx and much prefer the handling. The images it produces too are stunning with so much detail. As for the Mk2 1Dx I'll have a butchers as I'd like another body to replace my 1D Mk4.

You've seen the Mk2 1Dx?

No not at all. Haven't seen any spec or pictures either but if it's better than the current 1Dx then it's a must have.

I struggle enough with colour, let alone moving images. Just developing some TriX...
Moving images are great fun. I started with them in 1985 and stopped using TriX around the same time.
Great memories of it though, especially on the RAC Rally where I used tons of it so massive respect to users today.

When i'm looking through the viewfinder, i'm waiting for the right moment to release the shutter - it can take quite some time for me to be happy with what is there. To do video well, i'd have to be looking through the viewfinder thinking 'my god, how can I choose the right moment to release the shutter as every moment is just magically good?'. I can't see that happening the way I compose and shoot ;-)

7 rolls developed, i'm now down to an acros, 2 hp5 and a roll of velvia.

I've just realised, the new 5D means there will probably be rich types casting off their now obsolete 5D IIIs in the next few months, which is always good for people like me who like a second hand bargain ;-)

When i'm looking through the viewfinder, i'm waiting for the right moment to release the shutter - it can take quite some time for me to be happy with what is there. To do video well, i'd have to be looking through the viewfinder thinking 'my god, how can I choose the right moment to release the shutter as every moment is just magically good?'. I can't see that happening the way I compose and shoot ;-)

Video needs a different approach in that you have to shoot enough material to edit into a story later on.

I do a lot of work where i'm shooting stills and another crew are doing video, so i've watched them to see how they work.

It's all about pre visualising what you're trying to which is only the same thing you do with photography.

I've just realised, the new 5D means there will probably be rich types casting off their now obsolete 5D IIIs in the next few months, which is always good for people like me who like a second hand bargain ;-)

In some critical to me areas, the 5D3 is better than the S. 6fps against 5, and a larger buffer. Yes, I could solve the buffer thing by shooting at a lower resolution, but I can guarantee I wouldn't do it. Should've called it the 8D.

Except that the 5D3 isn't obsolete. That will happen when the 5D4 is announced in the summer.

That may be the perception of some of those people, but rest assured the agencies themselves won't care or see any benefit. All it will mean is that the user will just have to down res each image before submitting unless they cropped substantially.
I've spent nearly 30 years in production (stills/film), as editor and as client, so have a reasonable understanding of how these things work, but thanks for the advice anyway :)

Don't doubt your credentials. I speak as a photographer and provider to Getty Images Creative for the last 22 years.

50-60MB is all they want, so anything shot on a 5DS will as i say, have to be down sampled or cropped massively.

advertisement

Back