advertisement

50 Years Since First Moon Landing.

it
It was really good. Gave me goose bumps too, and took me back to when I was nineteen!

Made me laugh when Walter Cronkite said he was left speechless when they landed!

Also reminded me how everything changes but remains the same, like when no one knew what the system error codes meant!

Reminded me of John Deere, they love unintelligible error codes.

Almost more amazed seeing it now with a lifetime of awareness.

Every year the moon and earth drift nearly 4cm apart, this has been going on for 4.5 billion years.

How many miles is that in total, please?

1125 Miles

But can you really assume that it was 4cm for all of those years? My guess is that the distance will change over time and so the real answer will be different.

Every year the moon and earth drift nearly 4cm apart, this has been going on for 4.5 billion years.

How many miles is that in total, please?
I make that 18,000 kilometres, or a little over 11,000 miles.

Edit, I think I'm a factor of ten out, so 180,000 Km. Which seems more unlikely, given that the moon is only a bit more than twice that distance away now.

Watched the Apollo 11 documentary a week or two ago and will catch up with the BBC programmes this week. Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Buzz Aldrin, were definitely brave men.

Jack

I make that 18,000 kilometres, or a little over 11,000 miles.

Edit, I think I'm a factor of ten out, so 180,000 Km. Which seems more unlikely, given that the moon is only a bit more than twice that distance away now.

I'm not sure but I think the rate of increase was larger when the Moon was closer as it is down to 'tidal' effects. I think this was discussed on the recent 'Planets' BBC series, but I can't recall any of the numbers beyond the ocean tides being *enormous* in the early era once the oceans had formed.

To know more I guess I'd have to re-read the SF books by Forward again. If you want gravity effects, he was the go-to author. 8-]

Watched the Apollo 11 documentary a week or two ago and will catch up with the BBC programmes this week. Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Buzz Aldrin, were definitely brave men.

Jack

Yes. Particularly given what happened with the capsule fire earlier on and the sheer level of "no one has ever done this before" risk involved.

The capsule fire could not have happened again.
After it they stopped using pure oxygen inside the capsule.

I’m with Gerard124 on this.

It did take me back to 20th July 1969. I remember my parents letting me stay up to watch the landing then being sent to bed shortly afterwards then being woken up a couple of hours later to see Armstrong make that historic step.

Been to Kennedy Space Centre 4 times and was still wide eyed in amazement on visit no 4. There’s something about Apollo / NASA that gets into your blood. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve revisited the first moon landing. I still get a bit twitchy about the lunar descent even though we all know it was successful !

The capsule fire could not have happened again.
After it they stopped using pure oxygen inside the capsule.

They stopped using it *because* the fire showed it was untenable. More to the point, if you listen to the BBC WS series it explains the fire prompted a radical rethink of the entire design, etc. The oxygen was just one of the factors that added up to the fire.

But the basic point was that they were in a rush and doing pretty much everything for the first time. So *expected* to find serious flaws that were dangerous along the way. Hence the Apollo 13 'problem' later on.

That fire wasn't the first predictable problem with the space program that lead to a death, either. And they all knew it was very risky, but did it anyway.

Been to Kennedy Space Centre 4 times and was still wide eyed in amazement on visit no 4. There’s something about Apollo / NASA that gets into your blood. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve revisited the first moon landing. I still get a bit twitchy about the lunar descent even though we all know it was successful !

As has been said, you can't live in the cradle forever.

I can't believe this thread...you guys do know the whole thing was faked!?
I know this for a FACT because I once met a californian with a grey beard and crazy eyes who had asked me to hide him...apparently the CIA were on his trail because he KNEW it was all a fake...he had been the cameraman!
I doubt him then asking me for $10 for a meal had much to do with anything?

advertisement

Back