advertisement

50 Years Since First Moon Landing.

The radiation bit is unclear to me. I would have thought astronauts would have a hell of an exposure even with the shielding provided by their craft.
In a very good series in the Science section of the NYT, one of the parts addressed hazards of living on the Moon, pointing out that, in reality, men have spent very little time on it, and that long-term residence presents all sorts of potential problems - see "The Moon is a hazardous place to live":

https://www.nytimes.com/spotlight/apollo-11-moon-landing

Just finished watching this. Very good, but I’m sure I spotted a few rather obvious errors with the recreated/acted footage: a) the pen pictured several times was not a Fischer AG-7, b) when Aldrin was knocking the sample collecting tube into the surface of the moon there was a distinct ‘dink’ sound, and c) what certainly looked like a 1980s cassette Walkman was pictured floating in the capsule just after the ‘Day 7’ section started! Anyone else spot any wrongness?

So far I've only watched a part of the BBC TV programme on this. TBH it prompted me to go back to listening to the WS series that Kevin Fong narrates, etc. Much better with far more detail. The problem, I guess, is that TV programme producers have to make eveything 'visual' so need some kind of video to show, even when none exists.

Whereas radio can just let you hear the audio or discuss it. And seem to have taken the effort of finding those involved to interview again, and let us hear what they say.

So my vote goes for the "13 mins" series. Once I've heard all that I may re-visit the TV programme. Maybe it's better than my first impression. But it reminded me of the old saying that "the pictures are better on the radio..." :)

In a very good series in the Science section of the NYT, one of the parts addressed hazards of living on the Moon, pointing out that, in reality, men have spent very little time on it, and that long-term residence presents all sorts of potential problems - see "The Moon is a hazardous place to live":

https://www.nytimes.com/spotlight/apollo-11-moon-landing

This months' IEEE Spectrum magazine also is a special on this topic and the revival in plans to go back to the Moon. Some of that may be on the web.

Just finished watching this. Very good, but I’m sure I spotted a few rather obvious errors with the recreated/acted footage: a) the pen pictured several times was not a Fischer AG-7, b) when Aldrin was knocking the sample collecting tube into the surface of the moon there was a distinct ‘dink’ sound, and c) what certainly looked like a 1980s cassette Walkman was pictured floating in the capsule just after the ‘Day 7’ section started! Anyone else spot any wrongness?

Was the cassette one of these Tony?
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/recorder-audio-cassette-apollo-12
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/recorder-audio-cassette-apollo-12

Curious in being a page that is rendered disfunctional if you don't have scripting enabled. Yet simply offers a set of images which are trivial to code using plain html. Interesting once seen, though.

Gene Krantz. Apollo 11 'flight'. An amazing guy.

gallery_medium.jpg

Stephen

If you haven't listened to the superb,13 minutes to the moon podcast, at least treat yourself with this episode—an annotated guide by Kevin Fong to the last 13 minutes of landing.

I'd love to see any of the flight controllers' and astronauts' subsequent answer to the job application question give an example of how you worked as part of a team.

Astounding stuff.

Stephen

The end of the episode is the 13 minutes of uninterrupted audio that flight was hearing and relaying to Capcom and the astronauts.

Even though I know the outcome, it was exciting to hear in its entirety. I also almost 'turned blue'!

Stephen

Last edited:
No (different transport controls and looked like plastic), but it was obviously substituting for that model. I have to admit I didn’t realise the basic ‘Walkman’ form factor existed at all at that time, so what the BBC prog used was far closer than I thought.

There's a Techmoan video on that very cassette recorder. Only available to Patreon supporters at the moment.

Another vote here for the ‘13 Minutes To The Moon’ bbc podcast- really great. The Apollo 11 new cinema film has stunning 70mm footage of the launch, another big recommendation!

Just found a 6 part doc on BBC iPlayer called ‘chasing the moon’ not sure why I missed it when shown - really well made and a great watch, not as detailed in specifics as the 13 min podcast but some excellent footage and story :)

Off on holiday and downloaded the complete "13 Minutes to the Moon"before I left.

Half way through them and they are fascinating and informative.

Can't wait for my return journey to hear the rest of the podcasts.

advertisement

Back