advertisement

5 year cartridge upgrade

Subharmonicon

pfm Member
Five years ago I fitted my first moving coil cartridge to my rega rp3, a dynavector 20x2H.the deck has a a few upgrades ie. Ttpsu and a michell teckno weight and michell arm height adjuster and a new metal inner platter.im using a trichord dino with never connected psu I to a naim nac 202, hicap, napc, nap 200 and atc scm7 and rel strata 3 sub. It's been sounding great but the very top end on female vocals is starting to sho a little sibilance so it's time for an new cartridge.
My deck is 12 years old too, not that the age is a problem but when I replace the cartridge I would move up the cartridge ladder and the deck and arm just isn't going to be good enough for say the dynavector xx2.... So I was looking at the new p8 and it's apheta 3 that's heavily discounted when bought together.
I could upgrade the whole deck, arm cart at one and when I next change cart it would just be a cart change etc. What are folks opinions on the apheta 3 though? Or should I fit the dynavector xx2.???

Reactions: ask
I can't really comment on the Apheta 3 but I have a Planar 8 with Apheta 2 and it's a great deck. If I have any criticism it's more to do with the lack of a full cover, though in practice I'm finding the funny vestigial cover adequate. Sonically, I have no complaints. Overall, though, I occasionally wonder about the P10, but then remember that it's double the price and possibly only a few % better....

If you're happy with your record player just replace the cartridge, you could opt for another Dynavector or an Audio Technica, Hana or a Benz, all good quality MC's and all deliver a performance and in a price range fitting for your TT & tonearm and phonostage.
However if you wish to change or upgrade your whole analogue front end you could find worse places to start than another model from up the Rega range, more of the same but 'more' I assume, but if you're going to that length and assuming demonstrations and trade-ins are available I'd personally look at and perhaps try a few different options if available.

Yup, better deck(maybe there's a new Rega 50th around the corner ?) and a DV retip
Meanwhile you could get a SAE 1000 NOS.

No idea if Apheta would match your Dino.

I’m not wholly convinced that a RP3 would ever get anything like the potential performance out of a DV20. I have the low output on one my LP12 and it is spectacularly good.

For reference, my vinyl side is LP12/Avondale psu/Karousel/Tangerine Audio subchassis/Naim Aro/DV20XL2 into a Brinkmann phono preamp feeding active ATC SCM40A’s. I absolutely love
my DV20XL2!

My advice - upgrade the deck and exchange for another DV20. Don’t splash out on a XX2 unless you have a very serious front end, I honestly don’t even see the need in my setup.

Hmmm, an other dv20x2 but low output spec and a rega p8 then. I've read some great stuff about the apheta but that cantilever right out the front really is asking for an accident hehehe. I'll get the trade in discount for the cartridge too...
My father has the same cartridge on his lp12 and its very good. Used dv-p75

Personally, I would upgrade the TT. Whilst the Rega 3 is a great deck, I would say it is the weak point of your current system. What you get will depend on your budget. Going down the secondhand route could be worth considering.

They look like they’ve been built in a shed, but Well Tempered and DV carts are a match made in heaven and I expect would outperform all the Rega decks. Have massive respect for Rega kit though. A good friend chose WT over his Rega TT.

I agree with the others who say that the Planar 3 is not up to getting the best out of a decent MC cartridge. Your front end is properly out of balance. Upgrade the deck and even with a cheaper cartridge it will beat what you have now.

As a by the way, I have never liked the Tricord Dino. It has an electronic 'glaze' to the sound that stops it from sounding completely natural. Forgivable but not at the price.

I agree with the others who say that the Planar 3 is not up to getting the best out of a decent MC cartridge. Your front end is properly out of balance. Upgrade the deck and even with a cheaper cartridge it will beat what you have now.

As a by the way, I have never liked the Tricord Dino. It has an electronic 'glaze' to the sound that stops it from sounding completely natural. Forgivable but not at the price.

I remember upgrading from a Dunlop Systemdek llX to a LP12, moving over same arm and cartridge. The different was HUGE!

I have the low out version of the DV20 and had the Dino and never connected. Look at upgrading your phono stage, it should make a good difference. I went with an an audio note step up into and audion phono stage. But lots of options and work with a good dealer.

Turntables and arms and motors are endless upgrade points.

In the days when it could be had for 500€ I ran a DV 20XL on an SME20/2a into an Aesthetix Rhea phono stage.
The point?
The cart you have is worthy of a much better turntable. Good as they may be for the price, I've always been rather underwhelmed by the cheaper Rega decks.

Reactions: ask
Yeah, I think I want to upgrade the whole front end.

Probably a sound idea (!) and after a dozen years, and with cleaned vinyl, this is what I'd do. The downside is, out of many different types of deck, arm, stage and cart., plus the different models of each, where do you start? Each has its advantages and limitations so a bit of choice analysis and elimination process should at least make things simpler, but should involve a lot of reading/research.

Sprung, solid, mass, direct drive or ??? deck? Arm length (and number) capability. Valved or s/s stage? Tonal characteristics of cart. to suit system and tastes? Maybe set by budget and work from there as an effective elimination process. Buying used would both extend that choice but also involve caveats.

My sister often says that if a problem needs complication, I'm your man !:D

I'd move the Dino on - a P75 into your Naims will be a good step up.

We have a TRICHORD DELPHINI - not the "Never-Connected (NC)" technology, however - and absolutely love it!

It certainly gives our LEBEN RS-30EQ a run for its money.

I assumed the newer TRICHORD DINO NC would be similar to the DELPHINI or possibly even better, due to the NC technology.

Can anyone clarify?

Delphini was the top of the range, they used a NC p/s too.

I found the DV a much better match to Naim amps

advertisement

Back