advertisement

5 year cartridge upgrade

I went from an RP3/Elys 2 to a P6 (current model) with an Ania Cart, it that was a huge step up.

I then got the opportunity to get a P8 and stuck the Ania Cart on it. There was an improvement but I didn’t think it was a huge from stepping up to the P6 from the RP3.

The P6 for me was the sweet spot in the Rega line-up in terms of bang for buck especially as the plinth is made from the same material as the P8.

Now moved away from a Rega deck but currently have an Apheta 2 on my Orbe which sounds great to me. If I had the space, I’d have another Rega deck just for the fun factor of the sound signature.

As above. Yes better to upgrade the turntable, rather than a cartridge upgrade, as, and along with the wise comments above, unlikely to hear the dynavector at its best on the Planar 3. If you heard it on a higher spec turntable/arm combination, I think you’d be surprised that you were listening to the same cartridge.
If I had a P3, and was generally happy with the sound, i’d Probably stick with a Rega cartridge, but maybe their top moving magnet, as a price/synergistic match.
Dealer I know, also concurs that the P6 is the sweet spot in the range, and thinks you can bypass the P8, and if you still aspire to high end Rega tt’s, then go to the P10, if within budget, and better still, a mid spec LP12, if you can afford it. Different league, but also different price.

advertisement

Back