advertisement

3D Print your LPs?

That's the million dollar question.... Photos I can understand, but what 3d plastic things do we all have/want on demand?
Hmmm... Got me thinking now!

Can you imagine the sex industry putting this to "good" use :) would bring a new meaning to "downloads"...

Yes - I was thinking that. Each track has a kind of police siren noise, which presumably is a frequency modulation created by the conversion of a linear raster frequency into polar/helical co-ordinates at playback. In other words, that frequency is embedded in the object as a grid-like pattern, but when you come to play it, it sounds like a tone rising and falling sinusoidally due to the relationship between grid/Cartesian co-ordinates and the rotational co-ordinates of the playback scheme.

If it was printed on a 'professional' printer, they tend not to use a coordinate system but rather a big head that goes back and forward only, passing over each layer. Much more like a traditional printer that does a number of passes to build up layers.

Can you imagine the sex industry putting this to "good" use :) would bring a new meaning to "downloads"...
Man, this thing can be real accelerator - guess what pushed Internet to the speeds it currently uses? Educational video streams?

So yeah, if some company can exploit 3D printers for this purpose, there's going to be massive 3D printer production by many well known IT/hardware companies shortly afterwards.

That's the million dollar question.... Photos I can understand, but what 3d plastic things do we all have/want on demand?
Hmmm... Got me thinking now!

The laser sintering techniques are currently being used to build jet engine components out of materials like titanium. I believe the accuracy is around the 10 micron level for such techniques. Yes, it's expensive, but no, it doesn't produce wobbly plastic parts.

The cutting head deflects the groove as it cuts the master which then springs back

This process is approximated by the deflection and spring back of the groove during playback

Unlikely this printing would keep that part of the process the same

OnwwKRaEJNBwtudfsaMT375y7V9LCKUMfHLwnjpblEa3kpsnRTB0lFkXnyNf4Tgj9Dbpv1KVBGnZH2sN8ZvxP93KtOpiZ3fR8cstV2dmsgreGrFMMv-ZRWilpau16XEkWYBovTHbBNf5Ia9FiCKqaJNsFCHokImu5nUC6w

Or "Daisy Wheel"... remember those?

I remember one of those where my then boss installed the new daisy wheel head backwards - when he tried a test print all the bits of print wheel flew out of the top of the printer and settled gently to the floor.

advertisement

Back