advertisement

3D Print your LPs?

Interesting, saw some snazy 3D printers in action a couple of weeks or so back at the Lotus F1 factory, amazing things.

Think a stamper though best for vinyl!

As a friend who works for a firm that uses 3d printers on a daily basis put it, 3d printers are still in the 'Dot Matrix' era... give it 5-10 years and we will look back and laugh..

Sam

Oh indeed, by then you'll be able to buy a domestic version for a few hundred and instead of buying certain actual items you'll just download a schematic and the 3D printer will do the rest.

Oh indeed, by then you'll be able to buy a domestic version for a few hundred and instead of buying certain actual items you'll just download a schematic and the 3D printer will do the rest.

Interesting times.

He is already playing with conductive plastics, so can potentially integrate with a pick and place machine to create simple circuity.. And is also using it for lego hacking.

I am trying to guess where this will end up as the buzz about it the last few years reminds me of the early days of PCs. Whats the killer app for these.

I am trying to guess where this will end up as the buzz about it the last few years reminds me of the early days of PCs. Whats the killer app for these.

I know an engine builder that uses one to prototype parts before paying for CNC.. Saves him a small fortune!

I know an engine builder that uses one to prototype parts before paying for CNC.. Saves him a small fortune!

Yes, but what's going to send this mainstream so that every house wants one and then Epson or whoever starts shifting millions of units?

That's the million dollar question.... Photos I can understand, but what 3d plastic things do we all have/want on demand?
Hmmm... Got me thinking now!

I expect it will always be cheaper to get plastic stuff from China, India etc.

Big boom for inventors, innovators is obvious though.

I can see future arguments about which 3D printer produces the best sounding vinyl and users rewiring their printers with silver and gold cables/connectors.. :rolleyes:

I think you could print up some really weird speaker cabinets with all sorts of bracing and damped surfaces? Must be good for horn loaded developers testing out their theories. Surely its going to mean a huge leap in the general innovation of "gadgets".

I am looking at the little active monitors on my desk and reckon some nice printed bespoke stands would be be nice.

I have just spent the last few days playing around with my sons new Nintendo 3DS and it's quite amazing for the price - 3D games, camera and video.

Technology is amazing!

Really interesting, you can hear the print head motors in the music!

Yes - I was thinking that. Each track has a kind of police siren noise, which presumably is a frequency modulation created by the conversion of a linear raster frequency into polar/helical co-ordinates at playback. In other words, that frequency is embedded in the object as a grid-like pattern, but when you come to play it, it sounds like a tone rising and falling sinusoidally due to the relationship between grid/Cartesian co-ordinates and the rotational co-ordinates of the playback scheme.

As a friend who works for a firm that uses 3d printers on a daily basis put it, 3d printers are still in the 'Dot Matrix' era... give it 5-10 years and we will look back and laugh..

Sam

Or "Daisy Wheel"... remember those?

advertisement

Back