advertisement

3 Cartridges that have really given you the wow factor - past or present

It's hard to pick three simply because I haven't heard three cartridges in the exact same system, it's almost impossible to isolate the cartridge on that basis and say whether it was solely down to the cart.

I'll pick three with the caveat that they were all in different set ups.

Benz Glider SL
ZYX R50
Ortofon VMS20MK2

Sumiko Blue Point Special - wow, how can such a highly vaunted MC sound so bad. This was on LP12 / Ittok.

Lyra Clavis DC - exhilarating combination of grace, authority and fluidity mounted on ARO and amplified by DV-P75 in Dr T mode. I should have got it rebuilt by Lyra instead of trading in for a Kleos.

Ortofon 2M Bronze - surprisingly good for the money, with addictive drive and presence mounted on ARO and loaded with 100pF/50kohm on Pioneer C-21.
I’ve used both the BPS and the Clavis DC. Got very good results from both, especially the Clavis DC in a Graham 1.5tc.
I had to replace it after a mysterious and costly accident. I got a Shelter 501 which is almost as good as the Clavis DC. I didn’t think the Clavis DC could be re-tipped properly because of the type of cantilever termination. Am I mistaken about this? Thanks!

Shure V15 mk 4(or3); my first proper cartridge after the cooking shures I had had
An ADC26 to replace the V15; offered real insights into the music

Both of those were nigh on 45 years ago and both used in that funny old transcriptor hydraulic reference unipivot arm, which was probably better suited to the ADC

Now the Lyra Etna SL lets me enjoy all of my LPs as if for the first time

I’ve used both the BPS and the Clavis DC. Got very good results from both, especially the Clavis DC in a Graham 1.5tc.
I had to replace it after a mysterious and costly accident. I got a Shelter 501 which is almost as good as the Clavis DC. I didn’t think the Clavis DC could be re-tipped properly because of the type of cantilever termination. Am I mistaken about this? Thanks!

I would have thought that if ESco could not re-tip that Lyra definitely could or at least offer a trade in a new Lyra.

Shure V15VxMR one of the very few things I regret selling

Me too, great little cartridge.

I try very hard to forget that I had a Sumiko BPS( purchased paint stripper instead) and struggle to understand the acclaim for the Goldring 1042 but horses for courses! Had a Lyra Evolve99 retipped by Esco, retained as a back up also a Benz Micro sl.

Currently use a Dynavector DRT XV 1T, Lyra Atlas, AT mono cartridge and Lyra Titan i which I sent to AnaMightySound to be rebuilt and is superior to the Lyra Atlas.

Mike, not sure if you had the ordinary bodied Clavis or the naked DC version. I went from Lydian Beta (great entry MC) to Clavis DC (huge jump up) to Kleos (maybe slightly better, but constrained by DV P-75 because it has slightly higher impedance than DC).

Since rediscovering MMs, I don't think I'll be buying another expensive MC anytime soon. I might make an exception for a Hana, which I would like to try.

Hi James; Have been searching for the receipt from John Michell for my Orbe, SME V and Clavis (1995) but can't lay my hands on it at the mo' (which is annoying as I keep all receipts, sold and current). I'm pretty sure it was a Clavis da Capo. Actually, I didn't know there was an 'ordinary' Clavis! I think you might have hit the nail on the head with your comment about the DV P75, good as it is by repute. Whereas normal Lyras' outputs are more than healthy enough for any m/c stage, that is only one of many important parameters of a ph/stage, as I've found over the years.

Even the change a few years ago from Supercapped Superline to current E.A.R. on-board valved stages has elicited an enormous difference; not unexpected, I s'pose but from Prefix K to Superline opened up the Helikon considerably.

I empathise with your last para., as the old VMS20E mk 2 on my Ace Anna unipivot (despite being 'unsuitable' at 14g eff. mass) is really not that far behind what I'm used to in expensive coils. Not sure if I could revert to MMs after nearly 40 years, but the Hana would be on my list of low-cost options for sure, just by repute. Still crave a stone-bodied Koetsu, but now I'm just being silly !

Ortofon VMS20MK2

Well well; see my previous post, Matt. This and the 30E do stand out historically.
Currently use a Dynavector DRT XV 1T, Lyra Atlas, AT mono cartridge and Lyra Titan i which I sent to AnaMightySound to be rebuilt and is superior to the Lyra Atlas.

You starting a museum of modern up-market cart's there, Tony? :D I know you loved the Titan i . My friend's one was put on my Ace Anna for a couple of days when he came to stay nearly 2 years ago and we were both impressed. Better than the Atlas though? I've no idea but am surprised as Lyra's models do usually improve going up the ladder. Are these cart's all on your TW Acustic 10.5 arm? I've never experienced a DV, and wonder what you think of the XV-1T vis a vis the other two.

Mike, I think the non-DC Clavis had a dimpled and more substantive milled body. The DC is more skeletal.

I bought the DV P-75 after it thoroughly trounced a Supercapped Prefix, but that was with the ultra-low impedance Clavis DC. I think this underscores the need for system matching. I thought about getting a Trilogy 907 or a higher quality SUT, but I had no opportunity to try before I bought. Since realising there is no guarantee whatever I bought would be a match with my next cart (if not another Lyra), I decided the investment was unwarranted. I've since reverted to using the in-built, but fully adjustable, MM stage on my preamp to better-than-expected results with a humble 2M Bronze.

Well well; see my previous post, Matt. This and the 30E do stand out historically.

You starting a museum of modern up-market cart's there, Tony? :D I know you loved the Titan i . My friend's one was put on my Ace Anna for a couple of days when he came to stay nearly 2 years ago and we were both impressed. Better than the Atlas though? I've no idea but am surprised as Lyra's models do usually improve going up the ladder. Are these cart's all on your TW Acustic 10.5 arm? I've never experienced a DV, and wonder what you think of the XV-1T vis a vis the other two.

Hi Mike in my opinion the XV 1T just has the edge over the Lyras and is mounted on a Reed 3p.Both lyras have wonderful detail, in a straight fight direct from Lyra the Atlas beats the Titan i the Titan rebuild has the same detail but greater depth and authority to the sound---I would send a cartridge direct to AnaMightySound rather than Lyra---expensive but superb

Aided by the top Whest Ref. phono stage and Tron Convergence

Sumiko Blue Point Special - wow, how can such a highly vaunted MC sound so bad. This was on LP12 / Ittok.

Lyra Clavis DC - exhilarating combination of grace, authority and fluidity mounted on ARO and amplified by DV-P75 in Dr T mode. I should have got it rebuilt by Lyra instead of trading in for a Kleos.

Ortofon 2M Bronze - surprisingly good for the money, with addictive drive and presence mounted on ARO and loaded with 100pF/50kohm on Pioneer C-21.

I agree with what you say about the Sumiko BPS. I tried it and was underwealmed. In my case was on my Roksan Xerxes. I agree about the Ortofon 2M Bronze also - I see no need for anything better

Van den Hul Frog Gold; the only cartridge I've used since 2005. Before that, I tried loads, but the only one that sticks in the mind is the AT OC9, which fell victim to my clumsiness. It was OK, but not so great in terms of surface noise. The Frog Gold never misses a beat.

I have used so many cartridges but not always on the same tonearm and turntable combination but mostly on a Nottinham Analog Mentor Reference, Linn LP12 or a 3 motor Voyd .5 Ref etc and the cartridges that stood out for various positive qualities were:
1. Clearaudio Da Vinci V2 (still have one)
2. Koetsu Onyx Platinum
3. Lyra Clavis Evolve 99 (still have one rebuilt by Goldring)

I have a lot of other cartridges like the Van Den Hul Frog Gold, Colibri XGP, Koetsu Black Goldline, Linn Akiva, Audio Note i0 Gold, Kiseki Agaat Ruby and tons more. They all have certain qualities and when set up carefully with care and the accompanying tonearm you have some real magic and vinyl can become so addictive and so enjoyable particularly if it is well recorded and a good pressing.

1. Ortofon VMS20 - the best MM I ever owned when funds were tight
2. Coral MC81 - This blew me away on first hearing and put me firmly in the MC camp forever
3. Linn Krystal - The best of the Linns so far and far better than my old Klyde...but the cost! Ouch!

“Wow factor”... for me that really limits it to Deccas and real cost-no-object MCs, the Koetsu, top-level Lyra, vdH or Ortofon stuff. None being things I’ve personally owned.

The most ‘esoteric’ or up-market I’ve ever run was a rather disappointing used Dynavector XX-1L (just boring), and a Lyra Lydian B, which I liked as it was very dynamic and engaging, but it seemed to wear faster than I’d expect from a cart of that price-class. Aside from that I’ve tended to live in the ‘good all-rounder’ area of the market with thing like Ortofon MC20FL, Audio Techinica OC9, AT33PTG, Denon DL-110 etc. Just good value carts that don’t disappoint, but don’t have the astonishing dynamic ability of Deccas or the huge natural soundstage of the very best MCs. I’ve a lot of time for the humble DL-103, but I can’t actually live with one due to the conical tip, same goes for the conical SPUs, which again I love in many areas.

A lot of my fondest memories are actually with the better MM carts of the 70s and early-80s before aggressive MC marketing from Linn, Haymarket and others basically killed or diminished the format. The Shure V15, Grace F9E, Fidelity Research FR-101, Ortofon M25FL, Glanz etc etc. Some really great cartridges that exist in a totally different mindset of low mass, high tracking/tracing ability etc. I really like this era of carts, though again I view them in the ‘good all-rounder’ rather than “wow!” class, as is my current Nagaoka MP-500, which really dates from this period (it’s little more than a re-badged 1970s MP-50). A cartridge I’m running because it tracks everything with astonishing ease and clarity and matches both my deck/arm and phono stage well (neither being as easy as one might think due to the cast-iron platter and a valve phono stage that doesn’t seem to like low capacitance MMs). The MP-500 just doesn’t do anything badly at all, so quite a ‘grown-up’s’ long-term cartridge rather than something that would knock anyone out on a short dealer dem. Not a “wow” cartridge, but certainly a very good one - I’m sufficiently happy with it that I have a sealed spare stylus awaiting, and that is something I very seldom do.

The most ‘esoteric’ or up-market I’ve ever run was a rather disappointing used Dynavector XX-1L

I had the same experience with a used Dynavector. Having entirely forgotten about it, I was surprised to find I still had it, in the cute little wooden box that my Frog Gold came in, presumably to be used in case of problems with the Frog Gold.

All own in various systems :

1. Denon 103. Am always surprised by the ability of such a “cheap” cartridge. Works so well in my PL-71. I’m tempted to pimp it with a metal body and possibly an esco stylus.

2. Rega Apheta 2. Had one in a P10. Gets a lot of information off the record.

3. Roksan Shiraz. Loved this cartridge but often thought that it was being held back by the Xerxes and Artimiz. Often wondered what it would sound like in a different tt/arm.

Heard in dems or shows :

1. Dynavector XX1-L. Truly astounding in a Phonosophie P3/Naim psu/Prefix/Aro. Did some things that I have never heard from any other tt with the caveat that I would like to hear the same amp and speakers on some other tables.

2. Decca. Not sure which one and cannot remember the tt or amp/speakers as it was so long ago but made the drummer sound like he was in the same room.

advertisement

Back