advertisement

3 Cartridges that have really given you the wow factor - past or present

Best so far has been a Dynavector xx-1L, heavy as hell and with a fun switch on the front but still haven’t had better on my Townshend Rock...natural timbres, bottomless detail and deep deep bass. Just loved it. Wine related exuberance saw that off unfortunately and retips didn’t really work for long, possibly due to boron cantilever.

Nude Denon 103 with esco paratrace filled the gap: a fast rich big fun sound

dynavector XX2- great cart, very musical, good weight without being too stodgy

Only stand outs I remember are Decca Gold, Linn Azak and Ortofon MC20 super, I had a VMS20e back in the late 70’s that done sterling work on my KD1033 for years.

A cartridge I really liked at the time was the Linn K9 (at least when it was in an Ittok!).

Another was the AT-OC9 - a noticeable advancement over the K9.

And the only expensive cartridge I've owned was the Lyra Helikon, which was nothing short of fabulous.

Decca London( unbelievable dynamics)
Supex 901( high output mc I regret parting with)
AT 0c5( on aN Alphason xenon mcs/LP12 a sound I was happy with for years)

Stanton 680 EL( surprisingly good dj cart)

A Supex 900 my then flatmate had first in his Fons then in his LP12.
AT33PTG just wonderful all round, far better than the other Dynavector and Denon MCs I'd had before.
It still had life in it but saw an AT33PTGII at a good price which sounds very similar.

Sumiko Blue Point Special - wow, how can such a highly vaunted MC sound so bad. This was on LP12 / Ittok.

Lyra Clavis DC - exhilarating combination of grace, authority and fluidity mounted on ARO and amplified by DV-P75 in Dr T mode. I should have got it rebuilt by Lyra instead of trading in for a Kleos.

Ortofon 2M Bronze - surprisingly good for the money, with addictive drive and presence mounted on ARO and loaded with 100pF/50kohm on Pioneer C-21.
Hana ML is my latest affair, and what a seductress she is.

Just superb VFM at its price point.

AT 95 ML at the moment about 75 hours on it and have to say Wow ! superb VFM - Really can't fault it at all.Hugely enjoyable.

advertisement

Back