advertisement

1940s jazz photos by William P Gottlieb

Here’s another Gottlieb pic I’ve found, this one of Tommy Dorsey. Do you think it’s possible that Donald Fagen is familiar with it?

default.jpg

Further update. I’ve now discovered that most of these pictures (and over 1,000 others) are in the William P Gottlieb collection, curated by the Library of Congress and downloadable in high resolution from there. As they are in the public domain (explained on the website) the estimable Lefty has told me he can print pictures of your choice for about £22 each.

Here’s another for you. The Sam Donahue Orchestra playing to an audience of one. Cat. It’s explained on the listing. The cat’s name is Hep, naturally.

5a2c1cc66f2d5ef95d84e4f1479e9f68.jpg

Still trawling through the 1,000+ photos in the archive. Look at this fantastic one of Ben Webster!

52538507675_b5bf054990_z.jpg

…and having seen this one of Coleman Hawkins I now do all my sax practice wearing an overcoat. Cool or what? (Extra pfm kudos - Miles in the background.)

52538578683_137acc0b3e_z.jpg

The Ben has Buck Clayton in the background. The clarinet player probably Edmund Hall who spent some time with Louis.

My six Gottlieb prints made by @Lefty arrived yesterday. I told him to post a couple here in case anyone else was interested, but he’s too modest. Or maybe he forgot. So here are two of them. I think they look great. They are printed on A2, and the images are approx. 16” square.

52571808738_aa4f90def3_z.jpg

My six Gottlieb prints made by @Lefty arrived yesterday. I told him to post a couple here in case anyone else was interested, but he’s too modest. Or maybe he forgot. So here are two of them. I think they look great. They are printed on A2, and the images are approx. 16” square.

52571808738_aa4f90def3_z.jpg

I've only just seen this - thank you! I'm really pleased you like them, they were a pleasure to print.

I'm generally terrible at promoting myself, so thank for posting some images of the prints :)

Amar

advertisement

Back