advertisement

10 obvious piano jazz records

This thread has developed into a real gold mine. I have just added Keith Jarrett to my "must buy" list. Thanks to PsB for his contribution.

Oscar's at his virtuoso best on 'The Way I Really Play Vol III' with Sam Jones(b) and Bobby Durham(ds). Also on MPS is Cecil Taylor's solo 'Fly Fly Fly Fly Fly', quite understated with occasional fireworks, don't know if it made it to CD. Both beautifully recorded in Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer's private studio.

There is an internet radio stream that just plays Oscar.

There is another that just plays things that they reckon would be on Clint's playlist on Play Misty For Me.

Sometimes technology is used for good.

3 of my favorites:
Bill Evans "Waltz for Debbie"
Michel Petrucciani "Trio in Tokyo" with Anthony Jackson & Steve Gadd
Keith Jarrett "Standards vol.1"

This thread continues to be a gold mine of invaluable recommendations. Just bought: Bill Evans - The Village Vanguard Sessions ( ie 1973 French Milestone series double album covering the two original albums Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz For Debbie). S/H £4.

Stan Tracy - Under Milk Wood hopefully coming from Santa.

TJust bought: Bill Evans - The Village Vanguard Sessions ( ie 1973 French Milestone series double album covering the two original albums Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz For Debbie). S/H £4.

You're in for a treat. It would be worth buying just for the atmosphere of the first few seconds of "My Foolish Heart".

Question about Oscar Peterson: everybody always talks about Night Train, but I'm underwhelmed by that one. I've taken a few other stabs at his enormous repertoire based on recommendations from friendly record stores, but always feel a little meh about them. Any other recommendations beside Night Train?

I feel exactly the same way about Oscar Peterson, he leaves me underwhelmed. I have quite a few of his key albums too. Perhaps it's because of his flowery style that turns me off.

On the other hand, I think not enough has been said about Ahmad Jamal. If you canvas the opinion of major jazz musicians, you'd be surprised by how many have been influenced by him and his trio including Keith Jarrett and Miles Davis.

I am seriously considering getting the enormous Mosaic box of Cadet Jamal recordings.

Marily Crispell - 'Live at San Francisco' - this one continues both the Monk and Cecil Taylor legacies clearly, and there is a particularly haunting track called 'Zipporah' (but you may not think of it as 'jazz').

I feel exactly the same way about Oscar Peterson, he leaves me underwhelmed. I have quite a few of his key albums too. Perhaps it's because of his flowery style that turns me off.

I think it is possible to dismiss Night Train as a bit too blandly approachable. And some of the other much lauded albums have fairly tame material - We Get Requests is an obvious example.

I remain a fan though. For me it is the tightness and seeming telepathy of a good trio - the one with Thigpen and Brown being my favourite.

Another trio that falls into the same category IMO is Loussier and the early Play Bach stuff. Superb musicians, odd idea - can seem a bit easy on the ear, but a very tight trio.

It is a very different appreciation from (say) the genius of Monk - which sort of sounds like a 5 year old randomly playing notes on one level, and some kind of minimalist zen genius on another.

Monk playing Ellington is good as is one of the Ray Brown 'some of my best friends.....' collection featuring a little known pianist Dado Moroni on Telarc. If you can find it it is superb.

Marily Crispell - 'Live at San Francisco' - this one continues both the Monk and Cecil Taylor legacies clearly, and there is a particularly haunting track called 'Zipporah' (but you may not think of it as 'jazz').

I think Crispell has gone off the boil in the last few years (creeping ECMism, it's all got very lovely and not very interesting) but I really like her solo For Coltrane LP, as well as her records with Antony Braxton.

An update on the Bill Evans - Village Vanguard Sessions.

I have listened a few times now and it is really hitting the spot. A wonderful trio at the peak of their game on a recording which just drips with atmosphere.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Graeme

Quick scan and appears no-one has mentioned "The Koln Concert" solo piano improvisation by Keith Jarrett!?! (not that I would not recommend the other KJ's mentioned.) This along with Miles' "Kind of Blue" and "In A Silent Way" would be one of my Desert Island Discs

Monk playing Ellington is good as is one of the Ray Brown 'some of my best friends.....' collection featuring a little known pianist Dado Moroni on Telarc. If you can find it it is superb.

I have a rather scratchy Riverside of the Monk playing Ellington. It is rather good. I'll look out for the Ray Brown.

Austin Peralta's Endless Planets

333.jpg

Craig Taborn's, Light Made Lighter

51KrTsFJ3QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Matthew Shipp's, New Orbit

51lorqUNZuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Two of my favourites, not sure whether they have been mentioned:

Wynton Kelly: Kelly Blue
Ahmad Jamal: Live At The Pershing (among others, he is under rated IMO)

Chris

My list:

Lennie Tristano - The New Tristano
Thelonious Monk - Alone In San Francisco
Herbie Nichols - Love Gloom Cash Love
Sun Ra - St.Louis Blues
Cecil Taylor - The World Of
McCoy Tyner - Echoes Of A Friend
Martial Solal - Solitude
Art Tatum - w Roy Eldridge Quartet
Bill Evans - How My Heart Sings
Paul Bley - Open To Love

Ten more classic piano jazz records from me: :)

Horace Parlan - Happy Frame of Mind
Ran Blake - All That is Tied
Michel Petrucianni - 100 Hearts
Dave Brubeck - At Carnegie Hall
John Lewis - Evolution
Bud Powell - The Amazing Vol.1 and Vol.2
Jaki Byard - Out Front
Andrew Hill - Black Fire
Hampton Hawes - For Real!
Ahmad Jamal - Poinciana

And everything by Teddy Wilson in the 30's.

Ahmad Jamal's Blue Moon, latest album as of today.

This one's been on daily rotation, in the car, at home, even on headphones.

What are your impressions of this album if you've heard it?

Start with Night Train - Oscar Peterson (bluesy, impeccable ability, propulsive and played with feeling)

Next Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music (expressive, off-key rhythms, eccentric and unique)

Then Keith Jarrett- Koln Concerts (incredible technique, abstract, cerebral, and passionate). Now suck them up and you have take off.

Then get Spotify and investigate the rest.

Ahmad Jamal's Blue Moon, latest album as of today.

This one's been on daily rotation, in the car, at home, even on headphones.

What are your impressions of this album if you've heard it?

I recently caught Ahmad Jamal live with this group and he played a couple of tunes from the album including Blue Moon. One of his best recently I reckon. It's much more complex than his earlier stuff -- e.g. the Argo recordings which I recently acquired from Mosaic that is also excellent BTW.

advertisement

Back