advertisement

10 obvious piano jazz records

mesak

pfm Member
Hi there,
i got into acoustic jazz as Monk and modern stuff as acoustic Medeski Martin & Wood - what would you compile as a must-have list of 10 records?

Cheers and have fun,
Daniel.

1. Bill Evans: Complete Live at The Village Vanguard
2. Keith Jarrett: Whisper Not
3. Bud Powell: The Amazing Bud Powell
4. Michel Petrucciani on Joe Lovano: One From The Soul
5. McCoy Tyner: The Real McCoy
6. Herbie Hancock on Miles Davis: ESP
7. Andrew Hill: Point Of Departure
8. Brad Mehldau: Songs Art Of The Trio Vol. 3

(scratches head)

I would definitely second the complete Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard, something was in the air at these gigs.

Something by the following four should be in there, I think, I've reccomended one in each case:

Oscar Peterson (The Norman Granz Jazz at the Philharmonic recordings from the early 50's are exceptional, I have them on an old verve double LP, not sure what they're on now)
Earl Hines (Any sessions with Barney Kessel are particularly fine, again, not sure on current availability)
Art Tatum (The V Disc recordings he did for the US forces overseas are great way in, but anything by him should flip your wig)
Erroll Garner (again, anything, but for a pure display of great technique, the Soliloquoy lp is very good)

I would honestly recommend buying 10 Monk records and spending a few months listening to them, and nothing else.

-- Ian

I would honestly recommend buying 10 Monk records and spending a few months listening to them, and nothing else.

-- Ian
Ian,

Monk has such an idiosyncratic approach to music, I think one might find your taste so skewed after that, that you'd be dead to a lot of other great music. A friend of mine listens to NOTHING BUT Sun Ra and Monk and I think he's missing out on a lot, although, obviously, he disagrees with me.

Anyway, which 10 Monk LP's would you recommend?

I’d highly recommend the two volume Blue Note Genuis of Modern Music albums as a starter. They are far from the best recorded Monk (not that they are 'bad' in any way, just mono and fairly early - very listenable), but they really nail home what he’s all about. In many ways everything else I’ve heard from Monk, whilst phenomenally good, tends to be a dilution / refinement of ideas initially laid down on these two wonderful LPs.

Tony.

Some great recommendations there, but I'd add Horace Silver's 'Song for my Father' and 'Tokyo Blues'. Also Keith Jarrett's 'Koln Concert' and Herbie Hancock's 'Empyrean Isles'.
Anything by Tatum is fine by me (what an astonishing player!), likewise Bill Evans.

I have a soft spot for Oscar Peterson's 'Night Train' - not really a late night record (as the title might suggest) but contains some lovely bluesy playing.

Cheers

Martin

Any of them, really, apart from the very late London recordings, which are for completists only. The Genius of Modern Music records Tony mentions are a great place to start, throw in 3 or 4 Riversides and 3 or 4 Columbias and you can't really go wrong. Solo Monk, especially, contains just about everything any music needs. Off the top of my head, all or any of Thelonious Alone in San Francisco, Brilliant Corners, Monk's Music, Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane, Live in Japan, Misterioso, Monk Alone, Live at the It Club, are all exceptional.

Since you mentioned him, Sun Ra's St Louis Blues is a fantastic, and surprisingly straightforward, solo piano record.

-- Ian

There's a lot of good jazz piano records out there. I couldn't imagine restricting myself to all Monk albums, though I have probably 15 of them. Here's a nice one I recommend that should be in most folks' collection... it's even available on ceedee.

g56253k52jo.jpg

AMG link.

In an effort to be a little less mon(k)othematic, may I suggest;

Cecil Taylor: Erzulie Maketh Scent

Paul Bley: Homage to Carla

Sun Ra: Monorails and Satellites

Marilyn Crispell: Labyrinths

Irene Schweizer: Chicago Piano Solo

-- T

I was expecting Ian to suggest 10 Cecil Taylor records, nothing else. There you go, the man's full of surprises...

I've only got two CT albums, 3 Phasis and Olu Iwa - both awesome, but there might be better out there, only Ian knows.

If Cecil's made a bad record, I don't know about it, and I've got most of them.

But spending a few weeks or even months with just Monk is a good thing for anyone to do.

-- Ian

Just get 10 Keith Jarrett records. A mix of solo and standards trio should do the job nicely!

Cheers

Rich

More Oscar: Night Train is the obvious recommendation and Piano Moods is a decent compilation if you don't already own any OP. You need a live album, too, The Trio (live from Chicago) is great; 'Sometimes I'm Happy' from this album is one of my favourite Oscar moments.

Can't go wrong with Monk. I'll give a shout-out to Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk along with Thelonious Monk / Sonny Rollins...if you don't mind a bit of sax with your piano.

Art Tatum seems to be rated and is clearly an influence of Oscar Peterson's. Might be worth checking out to see if he tickles your fancy...but the 2 albums I own (20th Century Piano Genius and Group Masterpieces vol.8) left me cold. Need to get from not A to note B? Then, play a run/scale from one to t'other and you're done. Not my thing. Happy to be educated if I'm showing my ignorance here :)

I'm a big Ellington fan and really like his economical style, however, most of his albums showcase the band, rather than The Duke. That said, the trio LP Money Jungle, with Charles Mingus & Max Roach is a must have. I'm also intrigued by This One's For Blanton, a tribute to former bassist Jimmy Blanton, recorded in '72, featuring Ellington and Ray Brown. Not heard this yet, though...anyone here care to comment?

Cheers,
Rich

I'm also intrigued by This One's For Blanton, a tribute to former bassist Jimmy Blanton, recorded in '72, featuring Ellington and Ray Brown. Not heard this yet, though...anyone here care to comment?

A bit sketchy and impressionistic (Duke wasn't exactly in the prime of his creative life by that point), but well worth having.

-- Ian

advertisement

Back