advertisement

‘Liking’ What Are You Listening To Right Now…?

Quite often a post reminds me that I haven't listened to a particular record for some time (decades in some cases), and I give a "like" for the reminder.

Also a very interesting thread in terms of how similar my tastes (and age, I assume? :)) are to some of the posters.

These days I am mostly listening to classical music, so don't bother much with the main 'what are you listening to now' thread, but if someone's listening to the mighty HMHB I'd deffo give that a like.

I "like" stuff that I've got, plus anything that's got a link that I can listen to and sounds half decent (to my ears).

generally if I know it / sometimes the cover art / comment by the poster.

also don't really like the idea of putting 'classical' music into a separate thread, but appreciate it's a common approach (well, one other forum I used to frequent does the same).

I've read that thread here about the controversy of 'likes' and what it apparently means for culture in general. Didn't quite understand it; I don't do social media generally so probably missed the point.
Seems harmless enough and 'positive' in the context of the 'what are you listening...' thread.

also don't really like the idea of putting 'classical' music into a separate thread, but appreciate it's a common approach (well, one other forum I used to frequent does the same).

I would rather the classical music be catered for in its own thread. There seems to be several layers of sniffy snobbery attached to enjoying classical music, that I detest. I was only slightly aware of it before I joined pfm, but it is alive and well here.

It is apparent that some folks are unable to comprehend that fishes can enjoy Classical, Rap, Thrash Metal, Bubblegum Pop etc. at the same level.
Tribal needs for the insecure ego.
I pity them.

o_O

:)

quite Mr. Tabs - that's exactly what I encountered on the ... other site (don't even like to say its name these days, such are the views [in different areas] current there).
And why I don't think it should be humoured really.

That wine-tasting, 'read the right books and listen to the correct programmes to be told which are the best performances' vibe is something I find pretty tedious tbh.
But maybe it is indeed best to separate Classical out and avoid provoking people, if that would otherwise be the result.

Seems harmless enough and 'positive' in the context of the 'what are you listening...' thread.

Of course. Handing out Likes discourages posts of new and less obvious music though.

It’s turned a one-time favourite thread of mine, where I’d find new music, into one I almost feel like I’m trolling these days... Electric Ladyland, Meddle, Station To Station, Low, all posted this morning.

Obviously, moaning like this makes me look like a complete bastard, so I’ll leave it...

Handing out Likes discourages posts of new and less obvious music though.

I do not understand how you come to that assumption?

It would be easy to pick out newer music on the ‘What are you playing right now?’ thread to argue the opposite.

The idea that giving a ‘like’ to popular old albums prevents someone posting new tunes is absurd.

Of course. Handing out Likes discourages posts of new and less obvious music though.

It’s turned a one-time favourite thread of mine, where I’d find new music, into one I almost feel like I’m trolling these days... Electric Ladyland, Meddle, Station To Station, Low, all posted this morning.

hmm, hadn't thought of it that way I must say.
Would anyone take the likes in a thread like that so seriously as to discourage posting 'new' material? Gosh.
That's stumped me I have to say.
I haven't posted loads of my listens there by any means, but I'd have thought most of what I have put up has been 'new' stuff off Bandcamp etc, or relatively obscure older stuff

... but, yes, food for thought, and I liked your post ;)

hmm, hadn't thought of it that way I must say.
Would anyone take the likes in a thread like that so seriously as to discourage posting 'new' material? Gosh.
That's stumped me I have to say.
I haven't posted loads of my listens there by any means, but I'd have thought most of what I have put up has been 'new' stuff off Bandcamp etc, or relatively obscure older stuff

... but, yes, food for thought, and I liked your post ;)

Had me stumped as well.

I now think it is a reactionary post to the older, less experimental fish who slag off EDM, hip-hop and rap at every opportunity, and reflect on the good old days recounting how they liked Nick Drake before anyone had heard of him. Acoustic guitar in the woods sat around a campfire smoking mystery jazz fags… but they had Mothers just like us all :)

Given the old white middle-class male population on pfm, it is a surprise that steam-powered internet works at all.

Personally speaking, to be niche in a site of niche is no bad thing.

I post whatever I am playing, and give no consideration to who might like or dislike. It isn’t the pointy.

I'd also be interested in how people select what they post. I post less than 10% of what I play. I don't repeat post ( at least not knowingly), don't post classical, and post more in evenings or if I happen to have the laptop close at hand and turned on.

sometimes I am looking up and listing an album I am about to play on Discogs, so it is easy to post on pfm.
Some may be surprised, but I don’t post everything I listen to in a day o_O but I do spend hours almost every day playing records.

Trying to avoid repeats is hard for me as I can easily forget what I listen to, and I get obsessed with an album for a week or so. Some albums I return to several times in a year - emotionally led choices of reassuring favourites.

often I am grading and cleaning records (most days) so it is easy to cut and paste whatever I am playing/grading from Discogs as I use it everyday.

As a rule, I only like what I actually own, have owned, have sold and regretted or have heard like the sound of and yet to buy !!

sometimes I am looking up and listing an album I am about to play on Discogs, so it is easy to post on pfm.
Some may be surprised, but I don’t post everything I listen to in a day o_O but I do spend hours almost every day playing records.

Trying to avoid repeats is hard for me as I can easily forget what I listen to, and I get obsessed with an album for a week or so. Some albums I return to several times in a year - emotionally led choices of reassuring favourites.

often I am grading and cleaning records (most days) so it is easy to cut and paste whatever I am playing/grading from Discogs as I use it everyday.

Yeah I tend to avoid posting the same album over and over because I also get obsessed.

Yeah I tend to avoid posting the same album over and over because I also get obsessed.

some one with a need for a mission could make a chart of all the many ‘What Are You Listening To Right Now?’ threads.

It sure ain’t gonna be me - I have records to play.

I "like" because I like the album or artist mentioned.
When posting what I'm listening to I only do so when it's something (I think) is remarkable and want to share the joy.

advertisement

Back