advertisement

‘Liking’ What Are You Listening To Right Now…?

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
What are your (self) guidelines for giving a ‘Like’ to a piece of music on the ‘What are You Listening to Right Now?’ thread.

I tend to ‘like’ posts of albums/tunes that I own.

Very rarely, something that I have heard, but don’t have.
Never because of the person making the post.

Like?

Something I have or have heard and like (limited budget and lack of warehouse means I don't own all the music I like).

But also sometimes a record I've not heard and that looks interesting enough for me to go away and have a listen on YouTube or whatever - that's probably my favourite thing about the thread.

Usually just something that I have and like, the more obscure the better. Though generally it's done in a camaraderie, waving at other other motorists in the same car way, like my brother used to in his R reg Marina.

I don't 'like' anything that I don't know (however vaguely), even if I think that I would like it, because that just seems a bit pretentious to me. I only have a 'smallish' collection myself. The best thing about the thread is the variety and the pointers to something different.

I’m not suggesting we all post nothing but our Underground Nose Flute Orchestra of Papua New Guinea white labels or something, but while Likes has made the thread much busier, I don’t post on it much these days as I’m not likely to post very Likeable stuff.

<tiny violin>

I’m not suggesting we all post nothing but our Underground Nose Flute Orchestra of Papua New Guinea white labels or something, but while Likes has made the thread much busier, I don’t post on it much these days as I’m not likely to post very Likeable stuff.

<tiny violin>

as @gavreid said - you really should do.

I like it when I have no clue of the sound.

*the best is when someone posts something you have just played/playing - gives me a shiver ;)

Things I know and like.
Or something I like the art work of.
I appreciate, for whatever reason, the posters accompanying text.
I also like to try an album a day I see on the thread. Spotty mostly has it, mostly.

I tend to use the thread for finding music I haven't heard...but others like.
Then I find it on Tidal...have a listen myself...and occasionally get round to giving a like....if I really like it!

I tend to "like" when its an artist or record I like - sometimes I don't know the specific record by an artist and then check it out ( often with less well known jazz recordings) although more often its a reminded to go back for another listen to something I do already know but haven't played for a while. If I've not got them in the collection I add these to the Spotify playlist for when I'm out and about.

I'd also be interested in how people select what they post. I post less than 10% of what I play. I don't repeat post ( at least not knowingly), don't post classical, and post more in evenings or if I happen to have the laptop close at hand and turned on. Sometimes its part of a sort of virtual conversation in response to similar posts from others, for example a few days ago someone posted Miles Smiles when I happened to be playing ESP. I quite like that sense of connectivity.

If I go and investigate something that I have spotted on the listening thread and I like it - then I will go back and put in a like.

The other occasion for a like is if someone plays something that is high up my favourite albums list.

Or something I like the art work of.
I appreciate, for whatever reason, the posters accompanying text.

Yes - an insightful comment, background information, short review or even a well timed witty comment can draw a ‘like’ from me.

I'd also be interested in how people select what they post. I post less than 10% of what I play. I don't repeat post ( at least not knowingly), don't post classical, and post more in evenings or if I happen to have the laptop close at hand and turned on. Sometimes its part of a sort of virtual conversation in response to similar posts from others, for example a few days ago someone posted Miles Smiles when I happened to be playing ESP. I quite like that sense of connectivity.

Always something new, a new LP or often a used CD for me, just in the excitement of the moment. I'll post something that links to somebody else's choice if they've led me to dig it out or reminded me that I have it, that's always good. I do post repeats sometimes if that's what I'm playing but I only post if I'm sitting down to have a good listen. I often listen to new records multiple times over a couple of weeks but nearly always I only post it once.

advertisement

Back