advertisement

£500ish budget to power a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8 mkII - advice please

Ted-M

pfm Member
My friend has asked for help looking for an amp to power his pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8 mkII, (floor standing 3-way, https://dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/contour/contour-18-mk-ii)
budget is only £500 ish so second hand seems appropriate. Ideally amp would have a photo stage built in.

Any advice welcome, I'm not too familiar with the speakers but a quick look seems like they might benefit from some reasonable power.

My friend has asked for help looking for an amp to power his pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8 mkII, (floor standing 3-way, https://dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/contour/contour-18-mk-ii)
budget is only £500 ish so second hand seems appropriate. Ideally amp would have a photo stage built in.

Any advice welcome, I'm not too familiar with the speakers but a quick look seems like they might benefit from some reasonable power.
Like all the old contour speakers they will like an amplifier with plenty up its sleeve.
Something like a Roksan K2 amp will drive them on a budget.

In a small room with a low-med volumes, most amps will work just fine. As to whether they’re good enough or not… I’d look for an s/h Nait 3 or Exposure XV, if poss. They won’t work well in a big room though.

In a small room with a low-med volumes, most amps will work just fine. As to whether they’re good enough or not… I’d look for an s/h Nait 3 or Exposure XV, if poss. They won’t work well in a big room though.
Having owned contours they generally don’t wake up until the wick is turned up.
A nait will massively struggle due to the demands placed upon it.
I also would not buy 1.8’s for a small room.

I remember auditioning the 1.1, 1.3 and 1.8 MKIIs when they first came out. I bought the 1.3s, which I still have and love, because my then NAP140 (70 watts per channel into 4 ohms) wasn’t powerful enough to drive the 1.8s. They sounded boomy as a result. Even the 1.3 cannot be played super-loud with that amp.

I should add that the 1.1 seemed to be the most power-hungry (boomiest) of the lot. Do I remember that correctly?

Having owned contours they generally don’t wake up until the wick is turned up.
A nait will massively struggle due to the demands placed upon it.
I also would not buy 1.8’s for a small room.
As ever, it depends on the required room size and volume level. There’s plenty of current from both those amps but they won’t do loud in a big room. In a big room, loud, I’d say £500 isn’t enough budget.

What about the Yamaha R-N803D? There's one here that's under budget currently.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I remember auditioning the 1.1, 1.3 and 1.8 MKIIs when they first came out. I bought the 1.3s, which I still have and love, because my then NAP140 (70 watts per channel into 4 ohms) wasn’t powerful enough to drive the 1.8s. They sounded boomy as a result. Even the 1.3 cannot be played super-loud with that amp.

Indeed. I’ve owned all three. The pick of the punch is the 1.3mk2. They like plenty of current. Best results were with a Krell KAV400XI. A Nait 3 would struggle (with 4ohm /86dB). You could pick up an Arcam FMJ A32 within budget.

Some great recommendations there.
A big Rotel, Arcam A32, JVC, Quad 606 & Yamaha 803d should all have the power & finesse needed.

TBH I think you would struggle to find anything that would do the Contours justice at £500. I also assume the front end is nothing special either? Cracking speakers but they deserve some really good partnering equipment.

Front end will be v average, just looking to get a bit of power into the speakers as previously it was a 30w pc cheap integrated.
Integrated is the preference but maybe an older power + a pre is an option.
I can pick up a Quad 405mk2 (100w pc) for £250 which might be another route, and then maybe an old Quad pre.
Thanks for the tips everyone,

advertisement

Back