advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

I had both the 911 and the 1010. I slightly preferred the 911 in my system, and since the 1010 had higher resale value, I moved it on. Still using the 911.
FNTjj4.md.jpg

I wonder which one was top of the line ?
The 1010 has the K2 filter but is "only" 16kg, while 911 is at least 4kg heavier..

Just an old Sugden which always seems to end up back in my system. Under powered really for my speakers but nostalgia wins.

Just an old Sugden which always seems to end up back in my system. Under powered really for my speakers but nostalgia wins.

Interesting, which Old Sugden are you using in preference to the JVC AX-1010 at the moment?

In some better times, it would be great to have a JVC Top Of The Line Bake-Off:

JVC AX-Z1010 (1989)
JVC AX-Z911 (1988)
JVC AX-1100 (1987)

Hi Stuart, It’s an original A21 wooden sleeved. I’m not in anyway saying it’s better but I always find myself going back to it.

Hi Stuart, It’s an original A21 wooden sleeved. I’m not in anyway saying it’s better but I always find myself going back to it.

That's interesting Tigerjones. I've just bought a wooden sleeved original Sugden A21 Series 2. I've not tried it yet, but given it's age (around 1969?), it probably needs a full service. I love the looks of it!

They're lovely, Stuart. I have two. Sugden still service them although they are running out of some parts, which is not surprising given their age. Patrick at Sugden is the man to speak to and their charges are very reasonable given what some firms charge.

Stuart, if you're using the phono section (which is very nice) it works well with Nagaoka and Goldring carts, as well as Denon DL110. Anyway back to the JVC.

Could anyone tell me what the JVC power output is into 4 and 2ohms please? Im thinking of getting one to try with my Mk 2 Obelisks but if Im going to go through the hassle of buying and trialing one I really want to be sure that it will have more than enough to revel 100% of what the Obs can do. Thank you

Could anyone tell me what the JVC power output is into 4 and 2ohms please? Im thinking of getting one to try with my Mk 2 Obelisks but if Im going to go through the hassle of buying and trialing one I really want to be sure that it will have more than enough to revel 100% of what the Obs can do. Thank you
The 1010 works very well with Obelisk 2's and has more than enough grunt to cope.

Just over 2 years now with the Z1010...and at this point it's going to stay for the long haul. I've had enough other solid state amps to know that it really doesn't get a whole hell of a lot better than the JVC.

I do have another favorite amp, an Audiomat Prelude Reference (push-pull el34), which is at the techs for servicing. More than likely I will keeping them both, but it will be an interesting comparison.

gi.mpl

Hi there!
New owner of JVC here! Just bought 1010 in mint condition for 500e.I got recommendation about this amp from my friend, and I was a bit skeptic first, how can 20 years old dac compete with newest technology. Now I can just say that quality of this combo is amazing. Ofc like all class A stuff needs thorough warmup period-circuit behind digital inputs must be warm for best experience. I also compared it with chineese dac- smsl m400, packed with latest digital gadgets RP 900e. M400 has more pronounced bass, but is also somehow detached from whole music picture in comparison, K2 is much more balanced! Tested on Celestion 3 speakers, which are also phenomenal for asking price.

I was a bit stern with my review of it a couple of years ago, but that was more about the K2 Dac- which I was very surprised at not loving.
As an amplifier it really is very good indeed.

I was a bit stern with my review of it a couple of years ago, but that was more about the K2 Dac- which I was very surprised at not loving.
As an amplifier it really is very good indeed.
Did you try the phonostage?

I still think the DAC is VERY good, although it's not actually the DAC itself. The K2 buffer/ interface is the thing.

Did you try the phonostage?

I still think the DAC is VERY good, although it's not actually the DAC itself. The K2 buffer/ interface is the thing.

I'm not a turntable guy- digital only. I had another amp with quad PCM-56P chips as used in the 1010- I didn't find that to my taste either.

I would probably give the 1010 another shot. It really seems like a quality piece of gear.

200w at 4
320w at 2

IIRC

thanks for sharing. is this what you measured years ago? the service manual indicates 160 watts into 4 ohms but could very well be conservative.

do you have or remember where you saw those specs? I have been looking for more information on the power specs.

advertisement

Back