Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£500-ish cartridge for SME V

Discussion in 'audio' started by uncl_nigel, Mar 24, 2018.

1. delange

delange pfm Member

I recently bought an AT-OC9/III which I highly recommend. I had a chance to test a Benz Micro Ace (before I bought the OC9) and my feeling is that the OC9 is able to retrieve a bit more detail than the Ace. Both excellent carts but given the price, the OC9 is a steal!

2. oldius

oldius Can pleasure be measured?

I wouldn't look past the Audio Technica range.

3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Am I remembering correctly here or did there not used to be an AT-OC9 (or very similar name) which was highly regarded at around £850 ish way back in about 1992 or so...? so more like £1500 in today's money and a hell of a lot more than the present MkIII... maybe I'm mistaking it for another AT model with a similar model number...

4. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

There was definitely an OC9 in the late 1980's when all I could afford was an AT-F5 (which I liked on a Micro Seiki BL10X). At he time, I preferred the AT-F5 to the AT 31 it replaced.

Not sure of UK pricing but a version of the OC 9 is available at around 550€; my problem is finding a dealer I trust to install it that can actually get one in.

5. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

Could you be thinking of the AT Art 9 which retails for £899 now.

6. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

That was the Art 1 introduced in 1989, top of the range at £799.

7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

No not the Art 1. I remember that coming out at a bit higher price over the OC9. It could have been in the late 80's though yes. The AT-F5 was certainly around at the time...

8. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

ART1000 is £5000

9. Chris Guy

Chris Guy Active Member

I took a few lps to the show, and got them to put on my Lyrita disc of Holst's Ben Mora, with the LPO and Boult, from 1972. I know the disc very well. In the room with this fab deck and arm, I was surprised that they had this moderately priced cartridge strapped on but, it was just wonderful. Soundstage, depth of perspective, transients, tonal accuracy and most important area for me, neutral. I'm considering that as my next move, from my OC9 mk2. OR, I may just wait a little longer and go for the Ortofon Quintet MC Black “S”.
    Check out Fremer's review. He's a guy in the trade I have trusted for a few decades...
    https://www.analogplanet.com/content/hana-sl-mc-750-versus-ortofon-quintet-black-s-mc-999
    Just seen the Ortofon at audioaffair at £649. Probably the best sub 1 grand cartridge?

10. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

Although I have since moved on I had a PT Anniversary with SME V and Karat 17d2 which was a good match at a reasonable cost although very unforgiving of a bit of dust on your vinyl.

11. alan967tiger

alan967tiger pfm Member

I'm using an Ortofon Quintet Black and it's a very fine cart, and superb vfm.

12. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

quintets are 85% of the cadenzas ish and excellent VFM.

alan967tiger likes this.
  13. treeswampy

treeswampy pfm Member

My standard recommendation is the HanaSL. It does need a headshell weight in every that I have heard it on but sound quality is high even when compared to my Kiseki and Io. SWMBO prefers it to both!

14. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

The Grado Sonata 2 was installed yesterday and is sounding good (a decent 1/3 off discount when you trade in an old Grado Sonata in France).

It is running in fast, the initial hardness is beginning to disappear after only 8 LPs. The output is high - I have set the phono stage to 38dB gain to avoid overload on maxi singles. Good sharp imaging, great dynamics and bass, and the mid and treble are slowly settling in.

One caveat for record clamp users - the body is quite large and, when in the run out groove, only just clears the SME clamp on those LPs that are really crammed with music.

15. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Another 10-12 LPs and things are really clicking into place - great fun!

16. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

you can get an ortofon Black 2M top of the range MM for your sort of money?

17. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

With trade-in of an old Sonata, the Grado Sonata 2 was 401€