advertisement

£500-ish cartridge for SME V

I recently bought an AT-OC9/III which I highly recommend. I had a chance to test a Benz Micro Ace (before I bought the OC9) and my feeling is that the OC9 is able to retrieve a bit more detail than the Ace. Both excellent carts but given the price, the OC9 is a steal!

Am I remembering correctly here or did there not used to be an AT-OC9 (or very similar name) which was highly regarded at around £850 ish way back in about 1992 or so...? so more like £1500 in today's money and a hell of a lot more than the present MkIII... maybe I'm mistaking it for another AT model with a similar model number...

Am I remembering correctly here or did there not used to be an AT-OC9 (or very similar name) which was highly regarded at around £850 ish way back in about 1992 or so...? so more like £1500 in today's money and a hell of a lot more than the present MkIII... maybe I'm mistaking it for another AT model with a similar model number...

There was definitely an OC9 in the late 1980's when all I could afford was an AT-F5 (which I liked on a Micro Seiki BL10X). At he time, I preferred the AT-F5 to the AT 31 it replaced.

Not sure of UK pricing but a version of the OC 9 is available at around 550€; my problem is finding a dealer I trust to install it that can actually get one in.

That was the Art 1 introduced in 1989, top of the range at £799.

No not the Art 1. I remember that coming out at a bit higher price over the OC9. It could have been in the late 80's though yes. The AT-F5 was certainly around at the time...

I took a few lps to the show, and got them to put on my Lyrita disc of Holst's Ben Mora, with the LPO and Boult, from 1972. I know the disc very well. In the room with this fab deck and arm, I was surprised that they had this moderately priced cartridge strapped on but, it was just wonderful. Soundstage, depth of perspective, transients, tonal accuracy and most important area for me, neutral. I'm considering that as my next move, from my OC9 mk2. OR, I may just wait a little longer and go for the Ortofon Quintet MC Black “S”.
Check out Fremer's review. He's a guy in the trade I have trusted for a few decades...
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/hana-sl-mc-750-versus-ortofon-quintet-black-s-mc-999
Just seen the Ortofon at audioaffair at £649. Probably the best sub 1 grand cartridge?

Although I have since moved on I had a PT Anniversary with SME V and Karat 17d2 which was a good match at a reasonable cost although very unforgiving of a bit of dust on your vinyl.

My standard recommendation is the HanaSL. It does need a headshell weight in every that I have heard it on but sound quality is high even when compared to my Kiseki and Io. SWMBO prefers it to both!

The Grado Sonata 2 was installed yesterday and is sounding good (a decent 1/3 off discount when you trade in an old Grado Sonata in France).

It is running in fast, the initial hardness is beginning to disappear after only 8 LPs. The output is high - I have set the phono stage to 38dB gain to avoid overload on maxi singles. Good sharp imaging, great dynamics and bass, and the mid and treble are slowly settling in.

One caveat for record clamp users - the body is quite large and, when in the run out groove, only just clears the SME clamp on those LPs that are really crammed with music.

advertisement

Back