advertisement

£1500 which turntable?

The Clearaudio concept is a good turntable, especially with the MC option probably the best at the price.

Agreed. The concept is a cracking turntable, I love the plug and play approach too. Either that or a Rega RP6 with a nice phono stage or a pile of records. No fuss, no temptation to upgrade things, just music. :)

I went from a Rega RP6 (which was nice but a little dull/restrained for my liking) to a Funk Firm LSD and was delighted by the difference, it boogies like a bastard. :)

I have a Rega RP8 with Apheta in the classifieds if interested. It's less than 6mths old and in A1 condition. Slightly over your budget but open to offers

Was going to suggest the Acoustic Signature Challenger, but it'd have to be secondhand as it appears it's now £2850 new.

plattenspieler_acoustic_signature_challenger_bild_1300093456.jpg

That looks nice!

The Notts Spacedeck with matching arm and goldring for £1k is very good, add a Benedict Audio Hothead M for £400 or a Hagerman Bugle 2 for £150 used and you'll have a great setup that'll need no messing with. It'll still give you scope to swap to a better MM cart. Otherwise leave the cart and get a LOMC cart and the Benedict Audio Hothead C. The C matches really well with all of the MC carts I've tried and sounds punches way, way above it's price point.

Second the Analogue Works if you want new, staggering value but arm,cart and stage to match its quality will stretch/blow your budget so you may have to compromise somewhere in the chain.

Thanks for all the advice.

Going into a dealership is a distant memory, unless I haul of of my equipment into the demo room, but a home trial is an option.

I'll keep researching.

I went from a Rega RP6 (which was nice but a little dull/restrained for my liking) to a Funk Firm LSD and was delighted by the difference, it boogies like a bastard. :)

+1.

I have heard an LSD sound more enjoyable than an RP8.

Try an LSD with the new power supply - awesome (and the arm is a work of a genius as well)

A nicely sorted, sensibly specced LP12 is an enjoyable vinyl spinner but upgradeitis and easy and extensive access to poor value upgrades (both from Linn and third parties) could be a distraction.

+1.

I have heard an LSD sound more enjoyable than an RP8.

Try an LSD with the new power supply - awesome (and the arm is a work of a genius as well)

As an RP6 owner, I really enjoyed the sound from the LSD fitted with a pretty modest 2M Blue cart.

I didn't enjoy using it though; it felt a little flimsy.

I think it's a good starting point for the OP to try though, and pretty much on budget.

As an RP6 owner, I really enjoyed the sound from the LSD fitted with a pretty modest 2M Blue cart.

I didn't enjoy using it though; it felt a little flimsy.

I think it's a good starting point for the OP to try though, and pretty much on budget.

I can understand how you may say that, however I have had quite a few issues with Rega products (RP3, two carts, RP6, TTPSU) in recent years, completely resolved by Paul Darwin in a very satisfactory manner, I've not had any issues with the LSD.

I have had reason (my ignorance) to contact Funk and Authur himself called me to explain to me. Great service.

I think it was the absence of a lift on the headshell - was this just on the dealer's model I wonder? It's funny how small things affect your perception.

It is tempting to try one though - I liked the sound.

advertisement

Back