advertisement

£1500 which turntable?

HI,
I have a number of turntables but am currently listening to a recently purshased Technics SL120 with an Audio Origami modified Mission 774 tonearm and a (Decca) London Gold Cartridge. Bearing in mind that I also have turntable/arm/cartridge combinations costing significantly more, this combination is just indescribably wonderful.
Regards,
Jim

There's a Rega P9 in the classifieds here for £1300, which seems to be a bargain (I was pondering it myself earlier).

I think that I am about to sell my michell gyro with full orbe upgrade for £800 ex postage costs which would leave £700 for an arm and cart.

I'm somewhat biased, having owned two, but for me nothing gets close to the Funk Firm turntables. Although depending on your floor and speakers, you may want a wall shelf

A second hand Gyro or Orbe will give you the best bang for your buck. These decks are that good to start with that upgrades are minimal so you're not constantly chasing the rainbow. A friend has an Orbe with a Tabriz tonearm and AT33 and it's a very nice sounding turntable. He had a moving magnet in the Tabriz before the AT and that sounded fine too. It seems quite a nice arm and gives a very good account of itself. Jelco based I think.

Hate record decks myself. to much messing about... although the last gyro i had was alright. had a dv20 cart but was defo missing somit and can be bright

There's a nice WT Amadeus here and it's in your budget;

http://www.audio-markt.de/_markt/it...audioauktion=a71233c4be9a2c2e415b0365a399fd64

Excellent deck.

Yes, that is an excellent deck.

A lot of the LP12's on eBay seem to be cobbled together a bit out of bits - there are quite a lot of people buying LP12's, breaking them down and selling off the bits (sometimes very old bits). The Michell decks look cool and offer a lot for the money (though I'm not personally convinced by their sound - the Nottingham Audio decks don't do a lot for me either and the Technics is OK if you upgrade pretty much everything but the motor.

I'm starting to think that as I only have 30 LPs, I should divert my attention to digital and a decent DAC and USB cable...maybe even a valve amp..

advertisement

Back