advertisement

£100 speakers. What would you buy?

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
Moving house and want a pair of speakers to use while I'm decorating etc. I have a little Rotel 820BX and a Chromecast to go with them and a set of spare stands 60cm tall.

Discounting the ' I picked up a pair of Martin Logans for £40' type stories what would you buy?

I'm torn between something old or a new pair of small Missions or Wharfedales..... I've heard the Diamond 220 sound really good but is there better sound out there amongst the older stuff? Ideas, links etc much appreciated.

I bought a pair of Mission 760i's specifically as "decorating speakers"

They'll cost less than half your budget and are a pretty decent listen, and you won't be too upset if something bad happens to them such as a paint or rubble related accident.

They live on as office system speakers on the end of a NAP160 clone.

For decorating use, definitely used.
You may get (most of) your money back if you move them on when you have finished, which you will not with new. I sold a nice pair of Castle Tay last year for a bit more than your budget, but they can be had for less, and had loads of ooomph.

Kef Coda 7, fantastic bang for your buck. Normally found for 50 quid on the bay, and spend the other 50 on a curry and some cold beers, for the end of a long day decorating.

Minstrels and sell the stands...

Minstrels are too good for this, really, but, yes, perhaps in budget. (They are my main speaker. I wouldn't want to get paint on mine.)

For standmounts, Rega R1s, perhaps. A bit cheaper, some of the older Mordaunt Short speakers, of which there are many on eBay, like the MS10i. Small, tough, and still reasonable sounding: JBL Control Ones, as probably used in your local pub.

Some early 90s goodness such as JPW Sonatas, Mission 760s or Celestion 3s for no more than £50... the leftover £50, as previously suggested, on a curry and a 4 pack of cold beers. Job done!!

advertisement

Back