advertisement

£100 speakers. What would you buy?

Personally ..I would go leftfield and buy something that you will find use for again and again after the decorating is long finished. It is also much more practical to move from room to room ........ or in the garden/garage/on a picnic/in a hotel when travelling........

( yes, it is over budget but is worth the extra )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XVKW0PY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Its a practical suggestion Joe, and i thank you for it.... but it just doesn't please the hobbyist in me. Does that make any sense?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'd buy whatever was on gumtree or eBay and local. Or charity shops. For loose change, use and abuse, move on.

Yea.... I know.... and you are right. But I'm having a bit of low budget fun choosing Y'know?

You're three days too late. As no-one was interested in my Musical Technology Harrier SEs, they went to the Oxfam shop in Headingley last Sunday.

Absolutely. You can have low (lower still) budget fun choosing as you trawl Fleabay too! You never know, there's always the possibility of the guy saying "Glad you like the speakers. While you're here, I've also got this Fabergé egg that I might be selling. It's pretty nice, want to have a look?"

Absolutely. You can have low (lower still) budget fun choosing as you trawl Fleabay too! You never know, there's always the possibility of the guy saying "Glad you like the speakers. While you're here, I've also got this Fabergé egg that I might be selling. It's pretty nice, want to have a look?"

Hahahah..... I guess you are aware that you can be a trifle acid at times Steve?

Hahahah..... I guess you are aware that you can be a trifle acid at times Steve?
Not usually intentionally, but it happens. On this occasion the Fabergé egg bit wasn't intended to be at all acid, just a joke suggesting that in every secondhand trawl there may be a holy grail in a wardrobe. Sometimes there are. That's what makes it interesting, if all you ever got were part worn Korean tyres and Tesco DVD players with a missing remote then it wouldn't be worth looking.

Ta Glancaster....... I love the very plain aesthetic that the Rotels of that era rock.

Mine didn't have a remote, whereas all the competitors did. I liked that about it. More of the money (which was minimal) was spent where it should be. In fact, I've never had an amp with a remote, and the Naim setup, despite comprising three boxes, has even fewer controls than the Rotel.

For detail and stunning realism in the mid range I have some Rogers LS4a that I use.

Several pairs on the bay at the moment at well under £100.

For detail and stunning realism in the mid range I have some Rogers LS4a that I use.

Several pairs on the bay at the moment at well under £100.
Thanks Minio - I've been looking at those. Ive been afraid that they would be a bit limp and constricted dynamically. Am I talking out of my hat?

get on ebay or similar, and just get two big old japanese boxes from the 70's or 80's...always good for a smile. My local auction house had a pair of old Sony speakers which went for £5 last week...horn mid inside and 12" bass driver...no idea what they were...from some 'state of the art' stack I expect :)

Thanks Minio - I've been looking at those. Ive been afraid that they would be a bit limp and constricted dynamically. Am I talking out of my hat?
I think that's more down to the amp. A Naim pre power gives them a kick up the bum, but they seem better matched to lower powered amps and might suit your Rotel.

I might be talking out of my hat but it's worth a punt maybe.

advertisement

Back