advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Perhaps they need bedding in for a while?

Where do they fall short in your opinion after this short try?

What panels do you have? Perhaps not specifically the LRS?

If I recall the best results with the old MG-1's were with the Croft pre/power - now on paper the Croft should not cut it at 40 watts p/c - but it's worth trying later on ... Meanwhile after unpacking them and setting them up with the Yam 801 then shifting them about all over the place I have run out of steam.

I did take a good while choosing my regular speakers - perhaps that paid off and they are good enough to compete well with these panels ...

Have got Maggie 1.7 i .Have had them about a year now and they still give me wow ! moments.I just can't fault them they sound so natural and the sound is like a performance in the lounge.
Sometimes I think you can hear so into the mix on a track with regard instruments as their separation is astonishing and transient speed.
Sorry can't offer much advice on amps with the LRS.
Del Monaco could advice more.

Perhaps they need bedding in for a while?

Where do they fall short in your opinion after this short try?

I am comparing them in my memory with the MG-1's which seemed better (however they were a lot bigger) - and also they are very good I just expected, well, similar voicing to the MG-1's but on a smaller scale.

Anyway I haven't hooked the Crofts onto them yet - much more messin' about to do first.

I have read that they probably need hi-end amplification and that could be the key here. But I should keep changing sources etc until I come to a proper conclusion.

Don't get me wrong they are very good - just not 'astoundingly' so as such (yet).

Also I have jumped from the Croft amps coupled with Role Audio Enterprise Loudspeakers to cheaper amplification and cheaper speakers (panels) - so that isn't going to help.

I had a look on Magnepan Europe. The LRS are all sold out. HifiX states the product is no longer available ... .

IMG-20221031-WA0032.jpg

Cambridge audio 851c
Run this in now for over a week, sounds superb.
Build quality is fabulous,fit and finish lovely.
Very happy, perhaps my last cd player.

Have got Maggie 1.7 i .Have had them about a year now and they still give me wow ! moments.I just can't fault them they sound so natural and the sound is like a performance in the lounge.
Sometimes I think you can hear so into the mix on a track with regard instruments as their separation is astonishing and transient speed.
Sorry can't offer much advice on amps with the LRS.
Del Monaco could advice more.

I'm allowed to add this to this thread - the last piece of Hi-Fi I just purchased just now from eBay is as a HEGEL 190 - especially for the LRS. I can't be left wondering if the Yamaha is good enough - best be certain - the used price was very good so I jumped. Maggie dealers say that the Hegel is a good match.

I'm quite looking forward to it!!

I'm allowed to add this to this thread - the last piece of Hi-Fi I just purchased just now from eBay is as a HEGEL 190 - especially for the LRS. I can't be left wondering if the Yamaha is good enough - best be certain - the used price was very good so I jumped. Maggie dealers say that the Hegel is a good match.

I'm quite looking forward to it!!

My office/computer system is a Hegel 90 with Falcon Q7's. It's pretty great.

I've just recently bought a Yamaha A-S501 (new-ish) integrated amp, I paid £250 for it delivered sans Yamaha box or manual, absolutely fantastic amp, amazing with a pair of Totem Kin Mini speakers I also have a Totem Mini Flex speaker so can listen to all three via the Yamaha (for the TV), looking for another Totem Flex speaker but they're pretty rare (white) here in the UK now, there are some for sale in Canada and the US but I'll hang on and see if can pick one up here.

Even in the box they look good..........
They sound great. Currently I prefer the Graham more than the Harbeth (LS5/9). Perhaps the smaller box is a better fit to the smallish room. It sounds more like a Harbeth 30.2 but is less restrained ie. more open in the midrange and treble, perhaps with slightly better nuance and detail as well.

Not that new, I bought it a few months ago but I finally got round to fitting the IQ Audio rosewood plinth to my LP12 the other day;

IMG-1958.jpg

Thanks to Iain, @Woodwrangler for the plinth, all went without a hitch & it looks stunning.

Also thanks to Colin, @Mr Pig for remembering I was looking for a plinth when these became available & for the help & comprehensive advice on set up. I'm very happy with my bounce & cable dressing.

TS

They sound great. Currently I prefer the Graham more than the Harbeth (LS5/9). Perhaps the smaller box is a better fit to the smallish room. It sounds more like a Harbeth 30.2 but is less restrained ie. more open in the midrange and treble, perhaps with slightly better nuance and detail as well.
I also prefer Graham speakers to the Harbeth in general as they have that little sweetness many other speakers don’t have and they don’t bring any listener fatigue on long listening sessions.

Not that new, I bought it a few months ago but I finally got round to fitting the IQ Audio rosewood plinth to my LP12 the other day;

IMG-1958.jpg

Thanks to Iain, @Woodwrangler for the plinth, all went without a hitch & it looks stunning.

Also thanks to Colin, @Mr Pig for remembering I was looking for a plinth when these became available & for the help & comprehensive advice on set up. I'm very happy with my bounce & cable dressing.

TS

Looks fabulous!

Chord Heui phono stage. Less than a week old. Currently on a shootout against the Dynavector P75 although I think the Heui much to my surprise given how much I liked the Dyanavector has it hands down.

I also prefer Graham speakers to the Harbeth in general as they have that little sweetness many other speakers don’t have and they don’t bring any listener fatigue on long listening sessions.

That looks very nice Tony would you mind if I show off your setup to friends

Agreed. This comment may ruffle some feathers. Even though I only had a short stint with the Grahams, plonk and play with little optimisation vs. 13 years with the Harbeth painstakingly optimised, I am finding the Graham to be more accurate and truthful to the source or recording. The midrange is clearer with more detail and nuance coming through. With the Harbeth, vocals sound a little smeared as if some processing was added. With the Graham it is clean and pure..

If there is a complaint with the Graham, it would be the mid bass or upper bass. Nothing particularly serious as it sounds punchy and tight but there is a certain hollowness to the mid bass. I think it will improve with optimisation. Currently on open frame stands sitting directly on thick carpet without any spikes.

advertisement

Back