advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

4033215-80aae126-denon-dp790-with-upgraded-dynamic-damping-arm-walnut-finish-properly-serviced.jpg

Waiting for it to arrive. It will complete the drive systems; Oracle Delphi (belt), GL75 PTP6 (idler) and the Denon DP790W (direct drive).

Last edited:
Just had a set of little Mission M31i speakers arrive (£50 2nd hand), to go into the system in my sons office. Checked them out by temporarily replacing the speakers in my office system with them and they sound decent enough driven by my Krell amp.

Just switched back to my usual Wilson Benesch speakers and the improvement isn't subtle though!

Cambridge Audio 851N streamer. At the moment I'm listening to it through my Naim 62/160 combination into Sara 9s . It was a B grade refurbished unit. Looks like new to me, really impressive build quality and more important sounds great. So glad I put a saved search into eBay.

Pulled the trigger on Proac DB1s after a 3 day home demo. New ones coming next week, Billy Vee have kindly allowed me to keep the demo pair until the new ones arrive. I’m also buying the Atacama HS1.1 speaker stands, filled with atabites, that they lent me for the demo.

Cheers BB

Curiosity got the better of me and I finally found a s/h Denafrips Ares II. Underwhelmed until I remembered all the reviews, downloaded the manual and switched in o/s and the slow filter. (More haste, less speed!) I'm now enjoying a significant improvement over the Maverick (with Roksan Caspian Pre-, Meridian G57 and Quad '57s). More detail, more involving. Replaying favorite tracks all day, always a good sign. The only downside so far is the greater perceived difference between modern and older recordings, which is inevitable of course.
Already trying hard not to speculate about an Iris DDC, or a Pontus. :)

A used Chord Hugo. Other than the first Hugo TT, my favourite Chord DAC, and a bit of a bargain second-hand now, though I did replace the batteries myself, a task which might put some off. It’s just so effortlessly “analogue” sounding. Just the right amount of detail vs liquidity/smoothness and warmth. Keep finding myself raising the volume, something that with other DACs can cause listening fatigue after a while I find. Much prefer it to the technically superior TT2, of which I’ve owned several over the years. Yet to hear Dave, but short of winning the lottery, and even used, I’ll never be able to stretch to one of those. Very pleased, and it’s taught me (yet again!) to avoid the online hype train of newer models = better.

Just acquired a used NAP 250 DR to replace my trusty chrome bumper 250. The CB 250 is good and I have had it serviced and been happy with it for years and years, But this is definitely an upgrade: more transparent and the bass is better. It is altogether more musical. It's not light and day to be honest but I am very pleased.

Yes,it was certainly fluffy and dusty inside. I'm not sure who the last cat was that owned it but I'm glad they weren't a smoker.

A soft artists brush and a vacuum cleaner has got me to this:

20221031_165842 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

Looks like a Anthem amplifier ?

The amp is a Lexicon 312 which is essentially a re-labelled Bryston 5B-ST THX, so geographically you weren't far out with the suggestion of Anthem. It presently has 2 blown internal fuses and you may be able to see some charring in between the two fuse holders at one end in the second photo. I am not sure if something fell in and shorted the two fuse holders together or if something else more significant ocurred (or if it just overheated because of all the fluff inside it). I haven't tried it yet beyond briefly powering on with nothing connected, to find only the front fascia light for channel 3 illuminates. If I swap in the fuse from channel 3 to the fuse holder for channel 1, I get power light illumination on 1 and 2 on the fascia, though I expect that is only because the internal fuses are to protect speaker output, not the front panel lights so the front lights share the output. I'll get the multimeter out later and measure for DC on the output of each channel (swapping the good fuse between the channels to test one at a time), and get some more fuses on order to see if it is as simple as fuse replacement to get it running again.

Last edited:
Swapped the Demo Proac DB1s for my new ones today. They’re pretty good out of the box, missing a little bass and a little closed in at the moment. Just need to get a few hours under their belts.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back