advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

Yup - old brain clearly mixed up the character and the actor names - fancy both having a first name and a surname!

I watched the 70s remake of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers this evening, amazing what a difference 20 odd years makes, in social attitudes that is, the original was outstanding, the best by a long shot, its depiction of small-town America was creepy as hell, its cold paranoia pitch perfect. But this 70s version was very much of its time as well, love those bits where 'they' scream at you in the street! I think the IT Crowd did a riff on that, it was quite good.
There’s a ‘nineties remake, simply called BODY SNATCHERS, which is worth a look. Meg Tilly is excellen in it, although, again, it’s not a patch on the ‘fifties film.

Watched the new Game of Thrones prequel. I think it was well made and people who liked GoT will like the new one but I mostly just let out a weary sigh at grinding through more of this stuff. I shall watch more to see if it grips me but I have my doubts.

Sandman goes from strength to strength though. "The Sound of her Wings" episode about Death was just tremendous TV.

Watched the new Game of Thrones prequel. I think it was well made and people who liked GoT will like the new one but I mostly just let out a weary sigh at grinding through more of this stuff. I shall watch more to see if it grips me but I have my doubts.

Sandman goes from strength to strength though. "The Sound of her Wings" episode about Death was just tremendous TV.

Felt exactly the same about both!

Death had such a lovely smile (not something I expected ever to say). Looking forward to meeting more of Dream's siblings.

Fingers crossed for House of Dragon. I thought the premiere was decent, and Matt Smith was well cast. Hopefully a grower.

Death had such a lovely smile (not something I expected ever to say). Looking forward to meeting more of Dream's siblings.

It turns out I like Death and don't like Desire which is also not what I expected.

An interesting campaign in the Culture War is unfolding now on Prime. The massive "The Rings of Power" prequel to "The Lord of the Rings" has premiered. And t's good, as a LOTR fan going back to my teens, I like it. But is has become the target of right wing review-bombing. Rising up like hordes of orcs, thousands of trolls and bots are seeking to cancel the series with bad ratings on Prime and IMDB.

The reason: the series features a diverse cast, so, (horrors!) we see black and brown elves, hobbits, dwarves, and men! It is pitiable and ridiculous, if you can accept an elf in the first place, it seems a smaller ask to take in a black elf. But this is the fight they are making. This has happened before; Amazon had to screen the ratings of 'A League of Their Own' because of a similar review-bombing effort.

If you are so inclined, you might drop by IMDB and fight back the Shadow by giving 'The Rings of Power' a 10.

Reluctantly watched Behind Her Eyes on Netflix, thinking it would be too girly for me, but quite enjoyed it. It's got a good plot twist that you'd never guess in a 1000 years, and it keeps you guessing right until the end.

Reluctantly watched Behind Her Eyes on Netflix, thinking it would be too girly for me, but quite enjoyed it. It's got a good plot twist that you'd never guess in a 1000 years, and it keeps you guessing right until the end.
The book was very good. Had two twists at the end (not watched the series so don’t know if both were carried over). Saw the first coming but certainly not the second.
Have chatted with the author on a couple of occasions - Sarah Pinborough - she’s a good laugh. Friend referred to her as ‘Swearah Pinborough’. If you ever meet her you’ll understand!

Mick

Just watched "Social Dilemma" (may have been mentioned already). All things one knew, in theory, but disturbing to see it so vividly described.

advertisement

Back