advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Giri/Haji (duty/shame) yet. It's on Netflix, a joint production with BBC 2 I believe, and it's really really good. Violent, profane, with well drawn, believable characters rather than the cardboard cutouts we're usually supposed to care about, in Netflix productions.

It takes chances, too, which is possibly why it wasn't commissioned for a second season. I'm quite happy about that. I loved the first season of True Detective, for instance, while the second and third were much less affecting, for me. Some things should stand alone.

Twee Zomers / Two Summers on Netflix
Flemish drama with a few familiar faces - one more episode to go for us.

If you enjoyed "Into The Night" on NETFLIX then you need to watch "YAKAMOZ S-245".

Good Sci-Fi mystery drama. The ideas are great the English Dub is poor in places.

If you have watched neither then start with "Into the Night' all the way from start of S1 through to S2 Ep6 'ASIL' and stop at 21:30 then watch "YAKKAMOZ S-245" through from start to S1 Ep7 41:00 (do not go further than 45:10) then watch the next part of 'ASIL' from 21:30 to 31:40 stop again then back to finish S1 Ep7 from 41:00 to end and then the last of 'ASIL' to the end; it will make sense 'honest'.

To experience this at its best use the original language and subtitles as the English Dub is poor.

From the guys who made The Wire, in UK on Atlantic/Now initially.

Yup, quite fancy that. I see there is a 2nd series of Bump appeared on iPlayer, not my usual fodder but the as is often the case (and with the other three I mentioned earlier) the leading actress was excellent.

If you enjoyed the films and ideas behind 'Ex-Machina' and 'Her' then I can highly recommend 'Archive'.

Another good watch is 'Clara'.

Just finished the second season of 'Undone', really like the rotoscoped visuals and the story is excellent.

Black Bird on Netflix is well worth your time. Has some unconvincing missteps but overall well worth it.

Also music by Mogwai.

Sorry Apple TV not Netflix. So you will need channel crime or wait for it to come to Sky.

Has some unconvincing missteps but overall well worth it.

Having read some interviews apparently the bits I found unconvincing are all actually true, so what do i know.

Anyway, if you liked the first season of Mindhunter and the portrayal of Ed Kemper, you'll like this a lot as well.

I have watched 2 episodes of "How to change your mind" on Netflix about how LSD can be used as a one dose cure for lots of mental health problems and how Regan and Nixon feared it soo much they started their war on drugs programme. The second one was about "Magic Mushrooms" and again their ability to help Mental anxiety. Both seen to work at low doses and are non addictive. MDA is up next.

I did find Breaking Bad excellent, particularly in the depth of character study for both Walter and his wife Skyler, even if the narrative lost focus towards the end.

Better Call Saul
is even better, I think. The study of Chuck is genuinely deep, with the connections between what drives both his success and his mental illness, and the nature and consequences of pyrrhic victories, being very finely observed. The effects of this resonate even in series 6. In the later series, I think Kim’s character also develops strongly, although I don’t think Jimmy / Saul is developed to anything like the same degree. I’m impatient to see the final two episodes to see if this changes.

The only other series I have seen that is similarly well written is Ozark. I don’t think it’s an overstatement to make a comparison between Wendy Byrde’s development as a character, and that of Lady Macbeth.

It’s great to see writing of this quality (and with BCS, the photography is also exceptional), which I hadn’t initially expected to find - it’s always good to find your preconceptions challenged! By contrast. I did find Narcos, and Narcos Mexico entertaining and quite thrilling at times, but not with anything approaching the same depth of character study.

advertisement

Back