advertisement

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

no one is saying that is right either. We need systems in place to catch that lot, and all the cyclists/cars/vans/lorries/etc..... that run red lights.
But we don’t so why double down on something that already doesn’t work?

All legislation needs to be justified & this just isn’t, the same amount of time/money could be much better used/targeted. Certain things should take priority, I fail to see why cyclists should be targeted in this way.

I'm a careful cyclist, always obeying the rules of the road.
The worst cyclists by far are the competitive lycra types. Riding in large groups. Arrogant, 'we own the road' cyclists. With incredibly bright LED front lights badly adjusted. Even on a bright sunny day ! Wearing dark glasses even when it's nearly dark.
MAMILs are almost as bad.
As for Shapps.
Well...
This is a joke right?

The problem is not so much the stereotyping, which as you say happens in all spheres of life, rather the way in which it is used. The ‘Lycra lout’ stereotype is used in the media (via a technique called ‘nutpicking’) to discredit cyclists in general. The same is not true of BMW or Audi drivers.

Virtually all Audi and BMW drivers I've come across are arrogant and bad drivers. Sitting on your tail if they have decided you are driving too slow. Just to mention the worst thing they do.
These drivers are almost as bad as blonde bimbos in giant four-wheel drive vehicles.
I was almost hit by one whilst cycling half an hour ago.
Bloody car drivers!

But we don’t so why double down on something that already doesn’t work?

All legislation needs to be justified & this just isn’t, the same amount of time/money could be much better used/targeted. Certain things should take priority, I fail to see why cyclists should be targeted in this way.

this is about parity with other road uses. Of course there is an alternative and that is reverse all the other road safety laws that drivers should be complying to. Remove all cycle lanes, remove all speed limits. Lower the penalty for a car driver killing a child or cyclist........

unless of course the cycling fraternity wants their cake and eats it.....

This is a joke right?

Far from a joke. Surely you have seen those groups. Hogging the road, three abreast.
And those incredibly bright led lights, which temporarily blind you. What ever are the prats thinking? Use a light if you like. But not that bright. One I saw had 3 on the handlebars.
You obviously have a completely different opinion.
Please share it...

I'm a careful cyclist, always obeying the rules of the road.
The worst cyclists by far are the competitive lycra types. Riding in large groups. Arrogant, 'we own the road' cyclists. With incredibly bright LED front lights badly adjusted. Even on a bright sunny day ! Wearing dark glasses even when it's nearly dark.
MAMILs are almost as bad.
As for Shapps.
Well...

Bingo!

this is about parity with other road uses. Of course there is an alternative and that is reverse all the other road safety laws that drivers should be complying to. Remove all cycle lanes, remove all speed limits. Lower the penalty for a car driver killing a child or cyclist........

unless of course the cycling fraternity wants their cake and eats it.....
That’s just utter nonsense. Speed limits etc have come in on the back of need, there is absolutely no need for this. For true parity cyclists would need far better infrastructure but this never happens. It’s the car fraternity that wants & gets everything arranged around them.

Far from a joke. Surely you have seen those groups. Hogging the road, three abreast.
And those incredibly bright led lights, which temporarily blind you. What ever are the prats thinking? Use a light if you like. But not that bright. One I saw had 3 on the handlebars.
You obviously have a completely different opinion.
Please share it...
I ride with a club, wear Lycra etc. The bright rear lights are to be seen by cars, I tend not to bother myself except when it’s dark. They flash generally, cyclists get a bit paranoid about being seen, funny that.

Hogging the road? What are you on about? There are far more cars & they take up far more space. Decent sized car is about the same area as 4-6 cyclists.

Why is wearing lycra such a red flag to some? Would you go for a run in jeans & clogs? If I’m doing a 50 mile ride I want to wear appropriate clothing, bloody obvious.

Rather than this load of culture war rubbish how about investing in education for all road and pavement users in how to share the space and treat other users with respect?
That’s fine. The inference always seems to be that drivers know best & everyone else is clueless.

I’d like to think that as a pedestrian, cyclist & motorist that each activity informs the other. I do believe (from my own experience) that riding a bike teaches you an awful lot about being a considerate road user.

I'm not talking about rear lights. They are absolutely necessary. It's the 'much too bright' front lights, which temporarily blind you. Like the unnecessary over-bright ones on many cars.
As for the groups of cyclists, they often tell you to move out of the way when I'm gently cycling.
Arrogance again.
To cyclists like me, it tends to be lycra clad riders who act that way.
Fortunately you appear to not be one of them. Anyway, they should respect ordinary slow cyclists like my friends and I.

FWIW if Tory authoritarianism spreads to mandated bicycle licensing etc there is no way in hell I’ll comply. Screw them. Happy to be booked by anyone who can catch me and fine me. I very much doubt I will be alone. I respect less and less Tory law by the day.

I'm not talking about rear lights. They are absolutely necessary. It's the 'much too bright' front lights, which temporarily blind you. Like the unnecessary over-bright ones on many cars.
As for the groups of cyclists, they often tell you to move out of the way when I'm gently cycling.
Arrogance again.
To cyclists like me, it tends to be lycra clad riders who act that way.
Fortunately you appear to not be one of them. Anyway, they should respect ordinary slow cyclists like my friends and I.
I only really cycle in the country, whenever I pass a slower cyclist I say hello & I always nod my head or wave when a fellow cyclist comes in the opposite direction.

I do use a very bright light in winter when out cycling on unlit roads, it has two modes & I tend to use it on the lower level. Does this make me arrogant, I just want to see where I’m going.

It depends where you are in the country, I can only speak on my own experience cycling in the Peaks & Yorkshire. If a large group passes a slower cyclist I can see that this could be interpreted as ‘aggressive’ but it never really bothers me & I don’t believe there is any intent. What is the alternative?

I’d hate to think that the simple act of overtaking another cyclist is seen as an aggressive act. I personally don't like it if someone passes me without some form of greeting.

the aggressive riding and over taking around here usually involves shouting something like "move over you f×cking c**t, we are faster than you....." I am afraid this is really common - many of my cycling commuting colleagues report similar.

the aggressive riding and over taking around here usually involves shouting something like "move over you f×cking c**t, we are faster than you....." I am afraid this is really common - many of my cycling commuting colleagues report similar.
Seriously? I don't believe you. Now either I am a cycling god and nobody is ever faster than me (unlikely) or I look like a big hard bastard and nobody would dare call me a f**ing anything (also unlikely, I'm 5ft 6).

However, it's a complete nonsense to apply the same level of legislative risk mitigation (insurance, registration, speed limits) to 100kg of rider and bike capable of going 35mph as we do to a driver and car weighing two tons and capable of 150 mph.

The causation and consequences of all such offences deal with use of respective vehicles. The end point is you can’t go and recklessly, intentionally or (by omission) go hurt someone anyway. What size vehicle it is is in proportion to skill, experience and training etc. As I’ve said before, PACE copes with this by pointing out you have to attribute the most specific offence to a given set of circumstances, and there is always the ability to escalate given and attendant aggravating factors.

On a lighter note I’m staying near the Tower in London this week. Walking all over the place. Crossing roads with vehicles and cycles passing. And I’m still alive and uninjured. Cyclists thanking me for engaging their gaze. Motorists waving me across. It’s amazing!:D

Last edited:
I’m glad I don’t live ‘round here’ then.

advertisement

Back