advertisement

fo.q tape

The thing that gets me about all these foo things , and I’m including cables and all that stuff, if they actually did anything positive don’t you think the likes of Linn, Naim, Krell, Pass Labs etc would be stuffing their products full of it? Think about it, £200 worth of electronics with some double sided tape, foo cables with bits of string wrapped round them , special fuses and a wee wooden block placed at a jaunty angle and magically it’s outperforming £10k worth of their competitors amps? Hang on , not one high end company puts ANY of this $hit in their products. I wonder why?

Hang on , not one high end company puts ANY of this $hit in their products. I wonder why?

Umm, even leaving aside the 'exaggeration for comedic effect' factor, which admittedly I deploy on the odd occasion myself, that ain't necessarily so.

As it turns out, I can think of a few examples even from kit I've personally owned.

The thing that gets me about all these foo things , and I’m including cables and all that stuff, if they actually did anything positive don’t you think the likes of Linn, Naim, Krell, Pass Labs etc would be stuffing their products full of it? Think about it, £200 worth of electronics with some double sided tape, foo cables with bits of string wrapped round them , special fuses and a wee wooden block placed at a jaunty angle and magically it’s outperforming £10k worth of their competitors amps? Hang on , not one high end company puts ANY of this $hit in their products. I wonder why?
economics and marketing for a start, time-lines, ease of manufacturing, licensing deals, contractual obligations, supply and delivery issues, the list is long...

economics and marketing for a start, time-lines, ease of manufacturing, licensing deals, contractual obligations, supply and delivery issues, the list is long...
The majority of those can be overcome by a manufacturer if the gain of market share goes up through good reviews, and hence an increase in profit,.share holders happy, board members keep their jobs Just business development, driven by cash.

I can change what I hear by turning my head slightly or not sitting in exactly the same place every time, or not having the volume set exactly right every time, how am I supposed to tell whether a bit of tape stuck on the case has made any difference?

How do I get my 60 quid back after I've tried it?

I can change what I hear by turning my head slightly or not sitting in exactly the same place every time, or not having the volume set exactly right every time, how am I supposed to tell whether a bit of tape stuck on the case has made any difference?

How do I get my 60 quid back after I've tried it?
Adjust your speaker position

Look I really dont give a shit whether you understand how it works or not. I dont give a fvck about whether you think manufacturers should use it or not. I couldnt give a cvnting toss about whether you think its foo or not. I fail to give a crap about what you think should or should not happen. Fvck off this thread and go and play with your micro penis instead.

If you want to try it for yourself its £60. Just search on ebay and you'll find plenty of suppliers. It makes an amazing positive difference to the sound of your hifi. I bet you spend more on interconnects alone. I thought this forum was about people interested in great sounding hifi. It seems it more about cock sucking retards trying to show how clever they are, who think they know what they are talking about without actually trying it for themselves
I always struggle when words like ‘amazing’ are used to describe these tweaks. I remember this kind of stuff cycling around years ago. If it’s so amazing, why don’t all manufacturers use this product?

Can’t beat a bit of comedic effect when foo is involved :)
I’ve owned a lot of kit and haven’t seen any of it with dubious foo which was there to ‘improve the sound’. No little black squares on top of caps which magically change the sound, no special fuses, no cryogenically treated anything.
I’ve been to Linns factory several times, know engineers who’ve worked in their R&D (it’s 20 miles up the road from me so convenient to visit, im not a fan of their products, vastly overpriced for what they are). Anyway, like other high end Hifi companies they spend a small fortune on R&D. If a 2p bit of deadsheet made the sonic improvements some people claim their products would be covered in it as it would save them spending £xM on R&D.
Anyone who wants to believe the king has new clothes is more than welcome to.

Only thing that's ever really worked for me is cleaning up the mains (e.g. dedicated spur). These days even upgrading cables has a minimal effect.

Can’t beat a bit of comedic effect when foo is involved :)
I’ve owned a lot of kit and haven’t seen any of it with dubious foo which was there to ‘improve the sound’. No little black squares on top of caps which magically change the sound, no special fuses, no cryogenically treated anything.
I’ve been to Linns factory several times, know engineers who’ve worked in their R&D (it’s 20 miles up the road from me so convenient to visit, im not a fan of their products, vastly overpriced for what they are). Anyway, like other high end Hifi companies they spend a small fortune on R&D. If a 2p bit of deadsheet made the sonic improvements some people claim their products would be covered in it as it would save them spending £xM on R&D.
Anyone who wants to believe the king has new clothes is more than welcome to.

Why spend thousands on R&D when you can just stick bitumen tape to everything for an instant 3 grand upgrade?

Which thread started first Markie? At Wigwam where 90% of HiFi enthusiasts told you that they didn't believe you and got called, what was it? 'Whinging cnuts'? Think thats right, or here, where things look to be heading the same way.

And still no-one has suggested you read up on the psychology of this stuff. I't amazing.

Or you might want to open your minds! Why don’t you all buy some collectively to keep costs down and try it. Too scared?

The thing that gets me about all these foo things , and I’m including cables and all that stuff, if they actually did anything positive don’t you think the likes of Linn, Naim, Krell, Pass Labs etc would be stuffing their products full of it?

Imagine if Naim started selling £600 power cables... ;-)

Which thread started first Markie? At Wigwam where 90% of HiFi enthusiasts told you that they didn't believe you and got called, what was it? 'Whinging cnuts'? Think thats right, or here, where things look to be heading the same way.

And still no-one has suggested you read up on the psychology of this stuff. I't amazing.

Yeah its pretty disheartening to be honest. This is supposed to be a fun hobby. I would guess the average spend of people on their hobby is at least 4 figures and a lot will be 5 figure total spend. But try a £60 experiment? Outrageous! Scam!

Its not unique though. Over on the US boards where I first heard about it, you get the same naysayers https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ta-102-fo-q-product-from-japan-try-these and also proper hifi enthusiasts who actually try it, and find it to be excellent. So I shouldnt be surprised. Ploughing a new furrow is always tough, entrenched views on what works are exactly that and take time to change. Enough people need to try it for it to gain traction.

I'm thinking of doing a challenge to people, but why should I bother? I have £20 worth of it left, enough to do at least 2 pieces of kit, enough to easily demonstrate what it can do, get a bit of community buy in where people can hear the before and after, but most have already made up their tiny minds, so again, why would I bother?

Hopefully 1 or 2 will be interested enough to give a cheap tweak a go, and write it up. Maybe it will snow ball from there. Maybe I need to get an influencer?!

I have no financial tie in with the product whatsoever, but as an enthusiast, I would want to know about something that makes this much difference.

I am a fan of SR fuses. I am a fan of uprated power cables. Some on here will instantly dismiss me because of this heresy. I find it amazing they cant hear the difference these things make. Sure some changes are more subtle than others. Some changes are a trade off, better this, but less of that. Some stuff works well in one system, not in another.

But this stuff is pure audio gold. Its cheap, easy if a little time consuming to apply, and gives amazing bang for the buck results. Why they dont just flipping try it I dont know? Too busy knowing better from behind their keyboard I guess and showing off how clever they are, when in fact the opposite is true

advertisement

Back