advertisement

fo.q tape

Agree, then you could hold your hand against the panel before application and feel it vibrate. It was simple to measure, a tangible thing.

Yeah, that’s why I treated all the internals and drawers of my 3 drawer cabinet below my desk, the sub used to make it vibrate and resonant like a tin can but 2 kg of spare dynamat extreme later and it doesn’t make a squeak

52188758168_78d7eeaef2_k.jpg

MarkieW, If you feel the need to take your experiments further then fill your boots (and house) with decent stuff

https://www.dynamat.com/applications-industries/automotive-and-transportation/

Tangentially on topic and apologies in advance if this is too much ‘keeping it real’, but I have a few bits of lovely Croft kit which have a little bit of toroid transformer vibration hum which is exacerbated when the hammerite case is on. Case off = hum barely there, case on = yep can hear it. Will any of these damping miracle cures help with that?

Only thing that's ever really worked for me is cleaning up the mains (e.g. dedicated spur). These days even upgrading cables has a minimal effect.
I thought you said 'cleaning up'... I know that works!... Tidying up and cleaning the room before a listen works every time.

Tangentially on topic and apologies in advance if this is too much ‘keeping it real’, but I have a few bits of lovely Croft kit which have a little bit of toroid transformer vibration hum which is exacerbated when the hammerite case is on. Case off = hum barely there, case on = yep can hear it. Will any of these damping miracle cures help with that?
I would think so though yours is a specific issue. Try putting something massy on top. If that works try some kind of damping material internally. Or maybe a DC blocker would work better for you.

Can’t beat a bit of comedic effect when foo is involved :)
I’ve owned a lot of kit and haven’t seen any of it with dubious foo which was there to ‘improve the sound’. No little black squares on top of caps which magically change the sound, no special fuses, no cryogenically treated anything.
I’ve been to Linns factory several times, know engineers who’ve worked in their R&D (it’s 20 miles up the road from me so convenient to visit, im not a fan of their products, vastly overpriced for what they are). Anyway, like other high end Hifi companies they spend a small fortune on R&D. If a 2p bit of deadsheet made the sonic improvements some people claim their products would be covered in it as it would save them spending £xM on R&D.
Anyone who wants to believe the king has new clothes is more than welcome to.

Comedic effect is always a bonus. Mind you, I've heard systems both with and without the presence of foo where my reaction has been 'you're having a laugh, right?' so it's not an absolute.

Here's the thing though. I've also been to the factory a couple of times and I too know a couple of former Linn engineers. It's a very well-run business, but the end result's not really to my taste either. Doppelganger moment? Or have you always had a vague feeling there's a part of you missing somehow, as though you have a long-lost twin? Spooky or what?

I realise I have made a mistake. With no experience of this product you all know better than someone who has actually tried it.

I apologise and shall now boil my head. You were right all along, your opinions outweigh any real world experience by orders of magnitude so large it would take the entire universe to fit in the number of zeros. I can not compete with this, I was mad to even think of trying. Please forgive me and guide my life back onto your righteous path

Adherents of cables, fuses, sticky tape, etc. always mention 'changes and differences.'
We've all come across them.
The bottom line is, are they nearer the real thing?
Music, I mean.
The thing most foo fans have forgotten about...
First you'd rather give the money to charity, then anyone who enjoys exploring accessories and tweaks is a 'foo fan' and has forgotten its all about the music (yawn!). Gosh Martin... you embarrass me with your purity and virtue.

@MarkieW
I'm finding your attitude in this thread quite repulsive. Almost your posts are full of haughty evangelistic fervour. I've seen posts of yours here - fortunately later moderated out - consisting solely of personal insults that give a poor (accurate?) impression of your character.

@MarkieW
I'm finding your attitude in this thread quite repulsive. Almost your posts are full of haughty evangelistic fervour. I've seen posts of yours here - fortunately later moderated out - consisting solely of personal insults that give a poor (accurate?) impression of your character.
Have you considered not reading this thread? How do feel about me being called a shill? similarly repulsive? I find your description of me "haughty evangelistic fervour." offensive. I'll live though. I am enthusiastic about it, thats what this hobby is supposed to be about, passion. I had a large uplift in performance after using this stuff. I wanted to tell people about it. So far all I've had is people throwing "foo" at me, calling me a shill, saying it cant possibly work and Im imagining it. All without trying it for themselves. So if I call them idiots who dont know what theyre talking about, I think I have some justification. If you dont like it, go elsewhere, no-one is forcing you to read and contribute on this thread

"So if I call them idiots who dont know what theyre talking about, I think I have some justification. If you dont like it, go elsewhere"

I don't think you have any idea of how arrogant you come across as. I'll read what I like, thanks.

"So if I call them idiots who dont know what theyre talking about, I think I have some justification. If you dont like it, go elsewhere"

I don't think you have any idea of how arrogant you come across as. I'll read what I like, thanks.
Right back at ya! ;)

Hi Mark,
That stuff was applied to various parts of CD players and amps a long time ago by Sicomin in France, circa 1988 I think. They modified your hi-fi component with different options. Prices were as high as expectations.

Have you considered not reading this thread? How do feel about me being called a shill? similarly repulsive? I find your description of me "haughty evangelistic fervour." offensive. I'll live though. I am enthusiastic about it, thats what this hobby is supposed to be about, passion. I had a large uplift in performance after using this stuff. I wanted to tell people about it. So far all I've had is people throwing "foo" at me, calling me a shill, saying it cant possibly work and Im imagining it. All without trying it for themselves. So if I call them idiots who dont know what theyre talking about, I think I have some justification. If you dont like it, go elsewhere, no-one is forcing you to read and contribute on this thread
The point is, though, (and remember, I’m on the same side of the argument as you here) your attitude makes it easier for people to dismiss you, and hence your argument.

advertisement

Back