advertisement

Classic films.

Self and Mrs again watched:
My Beautiful Laundrette.
A Room with a View.

"....for a great range of acting, note the performances (in the same year 1985) of Daniel Day Lewis"...
Yes, unbelievable! And a young, gorgeous Helena Bonham Carter. Great British film making.

Some of my favourites in no particular order, maybe not classics all of them but enjoyeable :

If.. - Probably my all time favourite.

Ring of Bright Water - Lovely story with beautiful backgrounds.

The Maggie - Quaint little film with a deserved twister of an ending.

Scool for Scoundrels - You can't beat some friendly revenge and I love Terry Thomas.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World - Pure fun all the way through, Terry Thomas just happens to be in it.

Local Hero - Lovely budget film with a nice storyline & ending.

The Bargee - Fun film about canal boat life.

I’ve never managed to past 20 minutes of ‘The bargee’, bloody awful film. I watched ‘The Trial’ earlier today, a Kafka adaptation, directed by Orson Welles. Not great by any means but some incredible photography & set design, Welles is Welles as ever, always incredibly watchable.

They’ve started showing ‘Maigret’ on Talking Pics TV, rather good.

Master and Commander : Far side of the World.
A zillion times better than Pirates of the Caribbean. Superb ship scenes.

In Bruges.
An amazing and gripping fantasy with great actors and beautiful locations.

Both recently on Film 4.

Some of my favourites in no particular order, maybe not classics all of them but enjoyeable :

If.. - Probably my all time favourite.

Ring of Bright Water - Lovely story with beautiful backgrounds.

The Maggie - Quaint little film with a deserved twister of an ending.

Scool for Scoundrels - You can't beat some friendly revenge and I love Terry Thomas.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World - Pure fun all the way through, Terry Thomas just happens to be in it.

Local Hero - Lovely budget film with a nice storyline & ending.

The Bargee - Fun film about canal boat life.

If… is great, but it is one with it’s two sequels - O Lucky Man and Britannia hospital. Together they give the impression of having wandered into a piece of mind blowingly terrific 70’s agit-theatre with endless surprises like Arthur Lowe in ludicrous ironic blackface and Luke Skywalker as a journalist chronicling the decline of the NHS. Just brilliant and collectively one of the great achievements of British creativity of the period.

The Bargee is absolutely dreadful, though. Not far off the infamous ‘Take an easy ride’ in terms of it’s sexual politics.

I never said " The Bargee " was a classic, it is just a film that I happen to like regardless of content from another era.

If… is great, but it is one with it’s two sequels - O Lucky Man and Britannia hospital. Together they give the impression of having wandered into a piece of mind blowingly terrific 70’s agit-theatre with endless surprises like Arthur Lowe in ludicrous ironic blackface and Luke Skywalker as a journalist chronicling the decline of the NHS. Just brilliant and collectively one of the great achievements of British creativity of the period.

The Bargee is absolutely dreadful, though. Not far off the infamous ‘Take an easy ride’ in terms of it’s sexual politics.
I could do with a dose of Lindsay Anderson in theses times. I was mad for it in my youth along with Stanshall’s Sir Henry Rawlinson and Peter O’Toole in The Ruling Class. Do you know if any of its on viewing platforms like Netflix/ BBC?

In no particular order:

The Searchers ( 1956 )
The Stranger ( 1946 )
The best years of our lives ( 1946 )
North by a North west ( 1959 )
Shane ( 1953 )

Regards,

Martin

Surprisingly, given the thread, the advert at the top is for "free Willy," ok Frey Wille. Shared computer must've picked up SWMBO looking at jewellery. Again. Hope it's cheaper than a new bit of stereo!

Psychomania Beryl Reid motorbike riders come back from the dead, based on a true story.

A major influence on the wonderful Graham Duff - creator and writer of the TV series 'Ideal'.

Great soundtrack by John Cameron, who, I think, also did the beautiful score for Kes.

Not sure it was based on a true story, though.

I could do with a dose of Lindsay Anderson in theses times. I was mad for it in my youth along with Stanshall’s Sir Henry Rawlinson and Peter O’Toole in The Ruling Class. Do you know if any of its on viewing platforms like Netflix/ BBC?

I would have thought the Mubi or BFI streaming services would be your best bet for that sort of thing - both worth dipping into for a month or so from time to time. Amazon Prime rentals are also suprisingly comprehensive, if not cheap.

Haven't seen 'The Ruling Class' for about 15 years. One of the rare '60's-70's counterculture movies that was actually really good - like 'Wild Angels', 'The President's Analyst' or 'Two Lane Blacktop'

advertisement

Back