advertisement

‘Great’ Albums that you’ve never listened to?

How can you make that assertion from a position of ignorance?

You get away with it :)

As a guide, all those bands/artists listed, I cannot abide the vocalist. Some more than others.

I will add Nice Cave as well, who I heard bits of in the eighties in The Birthday Party, and disliked from then on.

I was bought a copy of "1001 Albums to Listen to Before You Die" for my birthday which my friend had kindly taped a 256Mb USB drive to the front with all the 1001 albums on it.

I promised him I'd listen to one a day of the approx 700 I'd not heard before until I'd done them all. I have to confess I gave up after about 3 weeks. I was wasting far too much time listening to absolute shite. It did seem to have been curated by a middle aged American man trying to impress the kids whilst also dazzling them with the music of his youth. There's only so much AOR and gangster rap a man can bear.

I've never listened to Metal Machine music all the way through.
I have! I listened to it seven times in a week once just to prove it could be done, and to try to see that it isn’t just a load of random feedback (it isn’t). I think the experience went some way to making me the well-balanced individual I am today.

(Part three is the best bit, BTW.)

I have never heard an album by
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • The Ramones
  • The Band
  • Guns n Roses
  • AC/DC
  • Neil Young
  • Van Morrison
  • The Stone Roses
  • Oasis
  • The Verve
  • Coldplay
  • Bon Jovi
  • Black Sabbath
and many many more.

I don’t feel that I am missing anything.
Based on what..?

This is true for me as well. I haven't really listened to an album with the album cover in my lap since college, and that was, uh, 43 years ago. There are albums I love, and have listened to countless times, where I only know the actual titles of one or two songs. Unless the song title is in the hook, I'm unlikely to remember it.

Exactly the same here. I couldn't tell you track names, album names, band member names, music labels or producers etc. for about 99% of my most listened to music. I just put the music on and listen to it from start to finish, then the next one goes on.

Based on what..?

Based on my taste. What else could it be?

I have listened to some of the listed output, but not albums, and it is of no interest due to the vocals and the style of music.

Ain’t my bag man.

On a whim I dug up a list of ‘best albums of the 21st century’ as I thought I would probably never have heard a lot of those. I was right - ninety out of 100 in fact.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/13/100-best-albums-of-the-21st-century

(and a couple of those that I do know were released in 2000, so don’t strictly qualify!)
The only ones I know and have are,
David Bowie - Blackstar
Amy Winehouse - Frank
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
They are also played in there entirety, but not often enough

They were ‘around’ in my student days, lots of people I knew owned their albums, but I never knowingly heard them.

But I do have a Yes anecdote. Rick Wakeman had left the group, and they were auditioning/interviewing possible replacements. When they interviewed Patrick Moraz, they said to him ‘All of us are strict vegetarians. Are you a vegetarian?’ Moraz thought for a moment, and replied ‘If necessary’.

But I do have a Yes anecdote. Rick Wakeman had left the group, and they were auditioning/interviewing possible replacements. When they interviewed Patrick Moraz, they said to him ‘All of us are strict vegetarians. Are you a vegetarian?’ Moraz thought for a moment, and replied ‘If necessary’.
Ha! Swiss pragmatism. I, in turn, have a Wakeman anecdote that I have probably posted before. (Sorry thread fans, I’m sure normal service will be resumed shortly.) Rick was on a TV show and sharing a dressing room with an in-awe Miles Jupp. Miles asked “Don’t you look in the mirror every morning and think ‘I played piano on Life On Mars?’” He replied “Usually, I remind myself that I played piano on Des O’Connor’s albums.”

Never listened to the No. 1 best selling album of all time, Michael Jackson Thriller.

advertisement

Back