advertisement

‘Great’ Albums that you’ve never listened to?

Woodface

pfm Member
Well, quite amazingly, I’ve never actually listened to ‘All things must pass’, despite being a huge Beatles fan. How bizarre.

Yesterday I wen to the trouble of buying a copy but have still not actually played the thing.

Any similar experiences?

I looked at the first list of “50 Whatever Yadda Yadda” I was directed to by Google and the top album I don’t know at all (ie couldn’t hum you a single track) was 21 - Back In Black by AC/DC. The top one I don’t think I’ve ever bothered to listen to all the way through was 3 - Electric Ladyland.

I don’t like to admit it on pfm, but I’ve never heard Machine Gun by Peter Brötzmann either.

PS I’m willing to bet there is at least one third of All Things Must Pass you won’t listen to more than once. I certainly didn’t.

I looked at the first list of “50 Whatever Yadda Yadda” I was directed to by Google and the top album I don’t know at all (ie couldn’t hum you a single track) was 21 - Back In Black by AC/DC. The top one I don’t think I’ve ever bothered to listen to all the way through was 3 - Electric Ladyland.

I don’t like to admit it on pfm, but I’ve never heard Machine Gun by Peter Brötzmann either.

PS I’m willing to bet there is at least one third of All Things Must Pass you won’t listen to more than once. I certainly didn’t.
I never really feel like listening to Hendrix anymore & I bet I’ve barely played EL in the last 20 years.

Most of the Jazz greats I've never heard, couldn't name you a Steeley Dan track or album with a gun to my head either.

Although to be fair, I struggle remembering the names of albums and tracks I do actually like, so there is no chance for the stuff I don't!

This is true for me as well. I haven't really listened to an album with the album cover in my lap since college, and that was, uh, 43 years ago. There are albums I love, and have listened to countless times, where I only know the actual titles of one or two songs. Unless the song title is in the hook, I'm unlikely to remember it.

Rather existential thread- what are you not listening to?

I cannot think of anyone I’ve decided not to listen to. With streaming anything on your radar is so easily accessed it’s hard not to have at least cursorily heard most “great” albums.
.sjb

Rather existential thread- what are you not listening to?

I cannot think of anyone I’ve decided not to listen to. With streaming anything on your radar is so easily accessed it’s hard not to have at least cursorily heard most “great” albums.
.sjb

There aren't any that you just haven't gotten around to yet?

Great swathes of classic rock for me. Just looking at a Mojo top 100 list and it reminds me I've never listened to anything by Steely Dan (sorry Marchbanks!), Joni Mitchell, The Band, Big Star, Pere Ubu, Frank Zappa...

Never made it all the way through a Prince or Bruce Springsteen record. Never listened to Trout Mask Replica.

Shocking really. In my defence there are fewer holes in my jazz education.

On a whim I dug up a list of ‘best albums of the 21st century’ as I thought I would probably never have heard a lot of those. I was right - ninety out of 100 in fact.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/13/100-best-albums-of-the-21st-century

(and a couple of those that I do know were released in 2000, so don’t strictly qualify!)

I've not seen that list before. Glancing down It quickly, I've heard about 15 out of the 100 there, probably own ten. I can't see there are many more I'll be adding to the collection.

I have never heard an album by
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • The Ramones
  • The Band
  • Guns n Roses
  • AC/DC
  • Neil Young
  • Van Morrison
  • The Stone Roses
  • Oasis
  • The Verve
  • Coldplay
  • Bon Jovi
  • Black Sabbath
and many many more.

I don’t feel that I am missing anything.

advertisement

Back