advertisement

‘Great’ Albums that you’ve never listened to?

Aye, and he was a fellow Scot, Miles wiznae!

I've never heard a Stones album post Black and Blue. Did they make a great album since?

There’s whole genres I’ve never explored* and, which, given the limited time I have in which to listen to music that I know and like, I’m unlikely to explore in future.

* including, but not limited to, prog, free jazz, opera, atonal modern classical music, Broadway musicals.

There’s whole genres I’ve never explored* and, which, given the limited time I have in which to listen to music that I know and like, I’m unlikely to explore in future.

* including, but not limited to, prog, free jazz, opera, atonal modern classical music, Broadway musicals.

Take away the Broadway musicals and the rest is right up my street!

:D Think it might be too 'out there' for me and l am quite musically open minded.:D

I have to be in the mood for Trout Mask Replica, it sure ain’t a record I put on if I want to get something done.
More an album that I play when I am not in the mood for much.

One of those records that I find makes me laugh, or duck the sucker punch. Not necessarily a toe-tapping album.

Blimey!!

I'm a child of the 60s. I was 16 in 1965. Slap in the middle of it all., so you'd expect me to know the Beatles.

But whatever your age it's almost negligent to not be at least vagueley familiar with the Beatles/Stones/Beach Boys and the other major bands of the period. But the thing is, I'm also not ignorant of what went before them, from the 50s Rock and Roll, Doo-Wop etc,..to the stuff before that, such as vocal groups like the Ink Spots and Mills Bros, the swing bands of Miller, the Dorseys etc. great band singers such as Helen Forrest, Edythe Wright, Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, Keely Smith and the earlier jazz stuff by Armstrong, Ellington, etc. This is all great music.
Don't waste it!!

I was born in 1958, I know of the bands, but have had not much interest in their output, obviously heard them on the radio growing up in the 70s, I favoured Eric Clapton, Queen, Deep Purple, and the like. I have expanded my listening material as I've grown older, but still can't listen to The Beatles, Beach Boys or much of the Rolling Stones work for more than a couple of songs. I do listen to Elvis, Billie Holliday, Robert Johnson to name a few, so not ignorant of the past musicians.

For some reason I wanted to say Pink side of the Moon ( genuinely had to google it ) by that great band Moon Floyd, ..... anyway you know what I mean.

Interesting idea this thread, but I can't see a lot of point listing all the things I've missed. Bought and played my first Leonard Cohen album yesterday - kicking myself for neglecting his output now...

Thing is, from 1980 until 2005 I simply couldn't afford anything that - even by the most generous of descriptions - could be described as a hifi system. So I basically went straight from Punk to a world without a single defining musical genre: a landscape where everything had changed, TOTP meant nothing, John Peel was dead, no-one listened to the radio any more, firmware was dying and downloads rising to prominence (even if mostly dismal MP3s), 'The Charts' were now about 20 different meaningless versions of the same thing, and it seemed to take just a few thousand sales to hit #1 instead of 7-figures!

I've been backfilling ever since.

It's probably age, but a lot of mainstream success now seems to lie with rather mediocre and unoriginal acts playing it safe on the fringes of much more interesting and edgy music - and certainly far too many albums have one strong piece of music and 19 tracks of filler...

I decided long ago to stop buying things on the recommendation of magazine 'Top 10' or 'must have' lists; too many supposed 'classics' that were disappointments in the past, such as -

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Gram Parsons - nnn
Leonard Cohen - nnn
Love - Forever Changes
Joni Mitchell - various

advertisement

Back