advertisement

Naim December price hike

Like tha Audi dealer said to us, they pay because they can. They will even pay for the excessive prices for services and corrections due to lack of reliability because they can. Vorsprung…..
But you are seen in the Audi and it gives a tick box for a certain status, important to some people

Is this still the case? 90% of the cars on the road are leased goods. Including Audi. The days of looking longingly at the neighbours Audi, as you climb into your lesser VW, seem like history now.

Or maybe I’ve just lost interest in cars (lowly KIA driver).

Is this still the case? 90% of the cars on the road are leased goods. Including Audi. The days of looking longingly at the neighbours Audi, as you climb into your lesser VW, seem like history now.

Now that’s given me an idea. If we want to give the Naim versus the car comparison a fair fight I suggest Naim start doing finance. We can then all have Statement amps and just pay monthly for them.

Short Offtopic: I think it is interesting, that Audi in Germany was long years more in the range of brands like VW, Opel, Ford, Mazda, etc. somehow they have managed to get into the upper class and now are called in line with brands as Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc..

Don't feel too bad. Some of KIA's models are designed by an ex-Audi designer...

Short Offtopic: I think it is interesting, that Audi in Germany was long years more in the range of brands like VW, Opel, Ford, Mazda, etc. somehow they have managed to get into the upper class and now are called in line with brands as Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc..

The Quattros performance on the rally circuit made the Audi fairly popular here but really when the introduced the A4 they started to get very popular since then they seemed to have added more 'prestige' models.
@G T Audio my dad recently bought a newish Kia hybrid, nice motor, very well equipped and comfortable, he couldn't care less what the badge says though, he's more interested in comfort and MPG

Reactions: GT
Audi "prestige" also helped by Diana (princess of Wales) leasing an A4 cabriolet at about the time of her marriage break up (lots of photo opportunities).

Reactions: GT
Oh just a note Naim have banned me from there forum because of my dislike of bullies.

Surprised you lasted long enough to become a heroic martyr -

"No Reps – any attempts by a member to promote their commercial interests will result in moderation and a ban."

Slightly off topic, but I think the Naim forum is tipping over to a negative influence for Naim. Anyone seeking rational advice there is very likely to be disappointed, and the "echo chamber" quality shines through. The attitude of many of the posters, to say nothing of the "moderators," is transparently "our way or the highway." That can work in a small subset of people, but it has also chased many away - as a cursory read of PFM shows.

Price-wise, Naim has not been competitive in the US for a long time (for new gear). That said, the price increases for what remains of the classic and Nait ranges are not, IMO, out of line - I think they average 5-10%. The 500 series increases, though . . .

We must bear in mind the Naim forum is basically there to generate sales. It’s simple but clever and no doubt it works. I found a few people on there quite unpleasant so when they changed over to the new forum I decided not to sign up. I don’t miss it. I do have a look from time to time and I think it’s improved not they’ve banned the political topics. I think the moderator does a good job and seems like a decent chap.

I suppose I'm lucky, I've never liked anything about Naim kit; its sound, its looks, nothing, so the price rises don't bother, though I enjoy threads like this.

My bet is the venture capitalists who now own the company will milk it for all its worth, and then sell it when its totally shagged.

I suppose I'm lucky, I've never liked anything about Naim kit; its sound, its looks, nothing, so the price rises don't bother, though I enjoy threads like this.

My bet is the venture capitalists who now own the company will milk it for all its worth, and then sell it when its totally shagged.

Doubt they'd be selling as long as it provide a steady profit to investors

I believe the Solstice project and upcoming amp & analog launch will need to do some earnings.

I had my first bit of Naim in 1984 with a Nait then 42-110 @ 42.5 Hicap 250 before jumping ship for a Bryston 0.5 pre @ 2B power in 1988.
The Bryston was so much better in my system then the Naim and came with a 20 year guarantee on all of it.
So I do have experience of Naim amps.

A couple of years ago I went to a Naim Statement evening and first of all it was a 552 and 300 on the end of Focal Sopra 2's with the addition of Super Lumina cables then a 500 poweramp.Then Statement.

The guy from Naim actually said " So your down your dealers and our stuff is like a drug and you say to him what does this Super Lumina speaker cable sound like ...well this is what it brings" and he then played the same track with it on.

For me the penny dropped about Naim with just those comments ....Its all about money ...upgrade ...upgrade....I know you can stop at any level.But it was just so blatant.

They love to play up to its handmade in our factory ...so what ! isn't loads of UK audio.

I had my first bit of Naim in 1984 with a Nait then 42-110 @ 42.5 Hicap 250 before jumping ship for a Bryston 0.5 pre @ 2B power in 1988.
The Bryston was so much better in my system then the Naim and came with a 20 year guarantee on all of it.
So I do have experience of Naim amps.

A couple of years ago I went to a Naim Statement evening and first of all it was a 552 and 300 on the end of Focal Sopra 2's with the addition of Super Lumina cables then a 500 poweramp.Then Statement.

The guy from Naim actually said " So your down your dealers and our stuff is like a drug and you say to him what does this Super Lumina speaker cable sound like ...well this is what it brings" and he then played the same track with it on.

For me the penny dropped about Naim with just those comments ....Its all about money ...upgrade ...upgrade....I know you can stop at any level.But it was just so blatant.

They love to play up to its handmade in our factory ...so what ! isn't loads of UK audio.
What did the fancy speaker cable "sound" like? :)

How about a £1k empty box .... Sorry flatcap power supply

FLATCAP-2-180133-13.JPG

This is starting to prove my theory naim(and linn) is getting stupid.

Just a thought. On the back of the Solstace, does it say made by Naim or made by Clearaudio?
Pretty sure it’ll say “Made by Naim.” NAD or Goldring turntables never said “Made by Rega”, not least because Rega already had enough hassle dealing with people who couldn’t get their heads a around the fact that warranty queries had to go through NAD or Goldring and not them. Once it’s out the door Clearaudio will be just the same, as any OEM supplier would be.

advertisement

Back