advertisement

Tory corruption & sleaze (lobbying, second jobs, dodgy contracts etc)

The comparison was with Sunak who is just as corrupt and morally bankrupt as Patterson, I’d argue more so, the only difference between Patterson and Sunak is that Patterson got caught.

To my mind Sunak is just yet another Tory economic illiterate. A key problem with politics in general and on all sides of the house is politicians get placed into roles they have no training or experience to cope with. Basically they get to play dress-up pretending to be managers in disciplines they are totally clueless about. Even the ones who have read a little theory only tend to have done so as part of a Eton/Oxbridge establishment continuation degree (PPE etc). Few have any real world experience in the field they are parachuted into. UK politics has always ‘had enough of experts’ to paraphrase Michael Gove. It is ‘The Peter Principle’ in action. In fact it is several steps beyond that as they are usually placed into roles they’d never stand a hope in hell of rising to in a business environment.

PS This is a key reason why as an IT contractor I wouldn’t touch any state contracts with the shitty end of a long stick!

Covert paid corporate shilling is illegal under our parliamentary system hence the outcry of recent days. To my mind he should be in jail for a very long time, as should all those who bypassed open tender and gave dodgy PPE contracts etc to friends and party funders. It is all illegal, though the Tory Party always sees itself far above the law of this land. They are a criminal entity at least as bad as the local drug gang IMHO, just far larger in scale and routing the tax payer for £bns.

I agree entirely with the above.

It is just the same reason why they don't decriminalize the purchase and consumption of the wacky baccy malarkey.

We in the know know who prevents this and profits from.

Switzerland is leading the way in Europe on this matter.

To my mind Sunak is just yet another Tory economic illiterate.

In Sunak's case it's not really about economic illiteracy as much as ideology. I am sure he understands that we have a demand spike and supply side problems and hence looming inflation and fairly sure that he understands the dilemma this gives the BoE in terms of rates. Certainly he is not as obviously wrong about all of this as Cameron and Osborne were.

But ideologically he would very much like all this not to be happening so that he could slash spending, cut taxes and usher in a massive economic boom that would sweep him into number 10 when the Tories finally get rid of Johnson.

Spoiler: The slash spending cut taxes thing never works but as long as it's at least 18 months since we last tried we can all pretend it does work.

Opinion
Owen Paterson was just the fall guy. This week’s chaos was all about Boris Johnson
Marina Hyde

The prime minister has faced multiple investigations. You can see why the obliteration of the standards commissioner might seem appealing

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...paterson-boris-johnson-standards-commissioner

Quote: I never quite understand why the Grenfell-victim-blaming, frontbench-lolling Rees-Mogg is so keen to cite his Nanny in public. It’s like someone defecating in the middle of your drawing room floor while telling you which finishing school they attended. And if Nanny wishes to sue me for saying Jacob turned out atrociously, then I’d be very pleased to see her down the Strand for four days of courtroom fun.

Not sure if she knows what she might be letting herself in for...

Been there, done that just for a day though.

Mmmm, those judiciary cretins can argue day is night and can still win, its true I'm telling you!

In Sunak's case it's not really about economic illiteracy as much as ideology.

I think this is right. He has signed along the dotted line and is committed to smashing any economic argument to fit the hole marked 'small state/reduced spending'. All geared towards maintaining the supremacy of the Tory party and its backers. If I were so-minded, I might even come to conclusion that it's class war.

Opinion
Owen Paterson was just the fall guy. This week’s chaos was all about Boris Johnson
Marina Hyde

The prime minister has faced multiple investigations. You can see why the obliteration of the standards commissioner might seem appealing

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...paterson-boris-johnson-standards-commissioner

Quote: I never quite understand why the Grenfell-victim-blaming, frontbench-lolling Rees-Mogg is so keen to cite his Nanny in public. It’s like someone defecating in the middle of your drawing room floor while telling you which finishing school they attended. And if Nanny wishes to sue me for saying Jacob turned out atrociously, then I’d be very pleased to see her down the Strand for four days of courtroom fun.

Not sure if she knows what she might be letting herself in for...

Been there, done that just for a day though.

Mmmm, those judiciary cretins can argue day is night and can still win, its true I'm telling you!

Marina said:
An edifying week in the government of Britain, a country run by the third prize in a competition to build Winston Churchill out of marshmallows.

:D:D:D

What tax do you think Sunak should be paying which he is not currently?
Who knows? If he has his money in a secret offshore tax havens, how many millions is is he has hidden is, well, secret.

So far, when asked if he has money hidden in offshore accounts, he has refused to answer hiding behind the ‘I’ve done nothing illegal’ excuse.

My only point is that if he does have money hidden away, he is, on his own terms, reducing available spending on Health Care and every other public service.

I think we should be told

Who knows? If he has his money in a secret offshore tax havens, how many millions is is he has hidden is, well, secret.

So far, when asked if he has money hidden in offshore accounts, he has refused to answer hiding behind the ‘I’ve done nothing illegal’ excuse.

My only point is that if he does have money hidden away, he is, on his own terms, reducing available spending on Health Care and every other public service.

They are a wealthy family with global business interests. They will have accountants who manage their global financial affairs and wealth. I’d be staggered if he participated in any illegal activities. Any individual or company in a similar position will be acting in the same way. Every individual and company has a duty to pay all taxes legally required. Nothing more, nothing less.

Has Boris reached peak liability yet? Just to pause for a moment- this week he tried to get a corrupt fellow politician off and in the process, remove the standards commissioner, replacing her with a party crony.
I think it’s his best performance since unlawfully shutting down parliament. In mitigation though, he was busy saving the planet this week.

Surely the Magic Money Tree means that he (and the rest of us) need not pay taxes any more?

Surely the Magic Money Tree means that he (and the rest of us) need not pay taxes any more?
No, taxes are important to control the money supply. It is true that at time when the government wants to encourage spending, then taxes would be lowered, but at other times, they might be raised

They are a wealthy family with global business interests. They will have accountants who manage their global financial affairs and wealth. I’d be staggered if he participated in any illegal activities. Any individual or company in a similar position will be acting in the same way. Every individual and company has a duty to pay all taxes legally required. Nothing more, nothing less.
You’re hiding being illegality again. When you spoke against Patterson so strongly earlier I thought is was from a moral perspective, not a merely legal one. Sunak has not broken and criminal law, neither has Patterson, what is at question here is your government’s morals.

Last edited:
“I think this could have been the Neil Hamilton moment of our age. It's the kind of Labour thinking which handed Boris his Brexit on a plate.”

No it wasn’t. It was the racist, third generation trash who believed all their woes were caused by Europeans coming over here and taking their jobs, claiming benefit (oxymoron), stopping them getting to see a doctor…
The people in the constituencies who believed that their failure in life was due to EU. That voting Brexit would get them jobs as Drs, nurses, teachers, managers, tradesmen… despite 10 years of a Tory government.

Newer Tory MPs furious at No 10 order to back Owen Paterson

Some from 2019 intake complain of being ‘hung out to dry’ for colleague who would not recognise them
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-furious-at-no-10-order-to-back-owen-paterson

Imagine an exodus walk across the aisle with the new intake to topple the tory connivers.
They were conned into providing safe passage for a crook and attempting to take down oversight of their colleagues’ corrupt pocket-lining. They’re having to face their constituents now.

To my mind Sunak is just yet another Tory economic illiterate.

This bloke was a successful banker. However much you dislike the Tory party or the economic system as it is,
you have to accept he is effective in whatever system he finds himself in. This plague on peeps that don’t share your particular take on things is not useful if we are going to get out of the mess of brexit.

advertisement

Back