advertisement

Tory corruption & sleaze (lobbying, second jobs, dodgy contracts etc)

This bloke was a successful banker. However much you dislike the Tory party or the economic system as it is,
you have to accept he is effective in whatever system he finds himself in. This plague on peeps that don’t share your particular take on things is not useful if we are going to get out of the mess of brexit.
WTF?
"Effective in whatever system" A pretty effective crook until he got caught, used by the johnson then thrown under a bus.
Links to PPE too, wasn't there?
https://eastangliabylines.co.uk/exc...n-alleged-cover-up-of-government-ppe-scandal/

Your hiding being illegality again. When you spoke against Patterson so strongly earlier I thought is was from a moral perspective, not a merely legal one. Sunak has not broken and criminal law, neither has Patterson, what is at question here is your government’s morals.

It’s very clear what Patterson has done wrong. What has Sunak done wrong?

This bloke was a successful banker. However much you dislike the Tory party or the economic system as it is,
you have to accept he is effective in whatever system he finds himself in. This plague on peeps that don’t share your particular take on things is not useful if we are going to get out of the mess of brexit.

His party created Brexit after driving the country into an ideologically driven double-dip recession lasting well over a decade. His party condemned many of the poorest and least mentally able in this country to a life freezing in shop doorways or abject poverty. They created Windrush, they created Grenfell, and they are now taking the same mindset into the English Channel. They drove disabled people to suicide over benefit restrictions. Now under Johnson they adopt Trump-grade far-right popularism and line their own and their donors pockets with the money we pay for state infrastructure and social care. All the time showing utter contempt for both national and international law. Sunak, like the rest of them, are indeed remarkably effective. They do exactly what we expect Tories to do. They live life large whilst others suffer or die.

His party created Brexit after driving the country into an ideologically driven double-dip recession lasting well over a decade. His party condemned many of the poorest and least mentally able in this country to a life freezing in shop doorways or abject poverty. They created Windrush, they created Grenfell, and they are now taking the same mindset into the English Channel. They drove disabled people to suicide over benefit restrictions. Now under Johnson they adopt Trump-grade far-right popularism and line their own and their donors pockets with the money we pay for state infrastructure and social care. All the time showing utter contempt for both national and international law. Sunak, like the rest of them, are indeed remarkably effective. They do exactly what we expect Tories to do. They live life large whilst others suffer or die.

I was involved by the exceptional nature of the Patterson debacle but the above inclines me to think I’ll keep my own council to myself just in case I stray into not saying exactly the right words in the excepted order. I wonder how many others with not the same strength of feeling but with the same voting power are equally put off being involved in the political debates on here.
Witn that off my chest I’m back to DAC.

The issue is not Sunak, it’s how many are hiding in the VIP Lane that’s swallowed up billions in public money. I don’t know if he has a finger in that pie but I imagine we will find out in due course. There are two egregious sins committed by this government that each individually would be cause enough for alarm- incompetence and corruption. The fact is we have a concatenation of both and it’s utterly toxic to the economy, social cohesion and Britain’s international standing. But hey, keep voting for them.

I wonder how many others with not the same strength of feeling but with the same voting power are equally put off being involved in the political debates on here.

I’ll always use my platform to speak truth to power as best I can. I’m perfectly happy to lose any number of posters in the process. I’m simply not the personality type who can turn a blind eye to political corruption, cruelty, self-interest etc. I just can’t do it, sorry. My brain just doesn’t work that way.

I’ve spelt this out a few times now, but let’s have another go: Sunak has preached that spending on public services is dependant on revenue from tax. If he is hiding his wealth in a tax haven, he is depriving public services of funding.

Martin Rowson on a week of explosive Tory sleaze – cartoon

4852.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...on-on-a-week-of-explosive-tory-sleaze-cartoon

Rowsons finest, imv.

I’ll always use my platform to speak truth to power as best I can. I’m perfectly happy to lose any number of posters in the process. I’m simply not the personality type who can turn a blind eye to political corruption, cruelty, self-interest etc. I just can’t do it, sorry. My brain just doesn’t work that way.

That’s fine as it is your forum. What I am saying is if some arguments are so closed and circular I doesn’t attract people to engage that might broadly agree but have a slightly different take yet not be Tory scum. Anyway, back to DAC…again;)

I guess their next trick in the week coming will be to invoke "Article 16" as a diversion tactic and blame it all on the EU for the NI Protocol collapse.

Jolly Japes, eh?

That’s fine as it is your forum. What I am saying is if some arguments are so closed and circular I doesn’t attract people to engage that might broadly agree but have a slightly different take yet not be Tory scum. Anyway, back to DAC…again;)

For clarity I have several good Tory friends. Whilst I consider the party to have jumped right off the cliff of morality, decency and even legality throughout Johnson’s third-rate Trump tribute act there are still many decent people hiding in the dark corners. I’ll do my best to point out just how far the party has moved in recent decades and just how similar it is conceptually to the new Republican Taliban in the USA, but I am not making blanket statements about voters, nor am I actively looking to fall out with anyone. Not yet anyway. Our political system is fundamentally broken and I can fully understand Labour won’t look like a credible option to a lot of people. It doesn’t to me either.

I am non-partisan. I push no political party here. I feel entirely disenfranchised, the only voice I have is this site as I have no representation in the HoC or anywhere else. I just comment honestly on the issues I see. I’m obviously in a far better position to help promote a more green and sustainable approach to audio, which is really what this site is about these days, but I’ll still try my best to help promote Good Law Project, Stop Funding Hate etc as they speak for many folk like me far more than anything on a ballot ticket.

I was involved by the exceptional nature of the Patterson debacle but the above inclines me to think I’ll keep my own council to myself just in case I stray into not saying exactly the right words in the excepted order. I wonder how many others with not the same strength of feeling but with the same voting power are equally put off being involved in the political debates on here.
Witn that off my chest I’m back to DAC.
Sorry to read this. I hope you will find a moment to reflect that it was obvious that you were talking about Sunak, but anyone who mistakenly believed that you were defending Paterson might find such a position difficult to accept.

I don't think anyone here is trying to close down debate, no matter how strongly they express themselves.

I’ve spelt this out a few times now, but let’s have another go: Sunak has preached that spending on public services is dependant on revenue from tax. If he is hiding his wealth in a tax haven, he is depriving public services of funding.

Tell me which countries have succeeded where spending on public services is not dependant upon revenue from tax. Tell me what crimes Sunak has committed. If he’s committed none, you need to stop. I think you just don’t like the bloke because he has serious wealth.

This is what I’m talking about:

https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1456219030608650243?s=21

Britain’s media liberals are incapable of naming the problem, which is the Conservative Party. It’s always something abstract and vague (“tribalism” or “partisanship” usually) or, if they have to be specific, the left.

Gawd Sean, you never learn!. Blaming the the Tories for corruption is a bit like blaming Islam for ISIS, it’s complicated and that is something you cannot deal with. It’s the corruption and prejudice that is the problem and that is much of a issue in your party as it is everyone else’s.

Gawd Sean, you never learn!. Blaming the the Tories for corruption is a bit like blaming Islam for ISIS, it’s complicated and that is something you cannot deal with.

Yes I am sure your right, but I want to ask you this. All those Tory MPs who decided to vote for the amendment rather than abstain or defy the whip, what do you think that shows about the Parliamentary Tory Party?

And the fact that this party political issue, examining this fact about conservative MPs and how they voted, is studiously avoided by James O’Brian. What do you think that shows about him?

Note also that James O’Brian did not studiously avoid reminding his listeners about the uselessness of Corbyn’s Labour Party, whom he relished mentioning by name at the start of the diatribe in that clip.

(These aren’t rhetorical questions, and I’m not attacking you. I don’t know the answers. As you say, it’s complicated.)

advertisement

Back