advertisement

David Amess MP stabbed in Leigh-On-Sea

WTF has online got to do with anything?
Still, far be it from the tories to let an opportunity to capitalise on a tragedy go to waste.

It is absolutely repugnant. They are cynically politicising a genuine tragedy to pursue a long existing authoritarian agenda.

PS I bet David Amess would be appalled at his death being capitalised upon and exploited in this way. I clearly have very little in common with him politically, but he seemed like someone more than happy to face the public who elected him, good and bad, and I respect that. I have nothing but contempt for his party using this tragedy as a bargaining chip in their increasingly draconian right-wing agenda.

I get your point, but I do think some keyboard warriors do need some semblance of regulating. Some of the stuff I've seen sent is simply appalling.

Perhaps, but that has nothing to do with this, and they're shamelessly using this tragedy to force through more draconian bullshit.

I mean, this kind of stuff is fine? It's not even anonymous.

Cl48cHzXEAQZ2vT.jpg

Indeed. A bill seeking to absolve legal responsibility for drowning refugees hardly places them on any moral high ground in this life. The direct equivalent of derailing kindertransport. Angela Rayner is remarkably articulate at times.

a88e6dbfb2670b64015028704e2aaf09661a7728.jpeg

WTF has online got to do with anything?
Still, far be it from the tories to let an opportunity to capitalise on a tragedy go to waste.

Some opinion that the murderer's motive might be his chairing of the all party group on Qatar, and that the UK and Qatar's position on Somalia.

That last line is interesting. More info required.

I mean, this kind of stuff is fine? It's not even anonymous.

Cl48cHzXEAQZ2vT.jpg

I presume these examples are also acceptable?:
58f7047314000049001b5066.jpeg

image-20161104-25356-wae21a.jpg

5b1848bd2000004100b939c3.png

This toxic discourse from the gutter press, together with the language and attitude of Our Great Leader and many other Tories is also part of the problem. They have have done nothing to help bring the country together and pour oil on troubled waters. Rather they've poured oil on the fire. 'Divide and rule', I think it's called. Add to that social media rapidly spreading lies, misinformation and propaganda and you have a dangerously explosive mix.

This toxic discourse from the gutter press, together with the language and attitude of Our Great Leader and many other Tories is also part of the problem. They have have done nothing to help bring the country together and pour oil on troubled waters. Rather they've poured oil on the fire. 'Divide and rule', I think it's called. Add to that social media rapidly spreading lies, misinformation and propaganda and you have a dangerously explosive mix.

The Conservative Party are absolutely fine with all the far-right racist propaganda, demonisation and scapegoating above, that is their basic ideology and argument. This is all about shutting down any scrutiny, accountability or challenge.

I presume these examples are also acceptable?:

Yes. The single biggest engine of hatred and division in UK right now is the Conservative Party in tandem with the far-right press. Tory political strategy leans heavily on pushing the most divisive issues and using them to demonise and scapegoat immigrants, benefits claimants etc. and the press amplifies the message.

Last edited:
Just want to cry at the pointless death and the vitriol that follows.
I wonder what the MP who died would have reacted if he was the observer and not victim?

IIRC the Online Safety Bill proposes a 'duty of care' for online media platforms to remove hate speech, and the people who post it. This from the same people who didn't bring you Leveson 2. Couldn't make it up.
Yes, it’ll have the full backing of Fleet Street, allowing them to continue uninterrupted in their rich historical vein of hate speech and incitement.

Yes, it’ll have the full backing of Fleet Street, allowing them to continue uninterrupted in their rich historical vein of hate speech and incitement.
I believe the proposal is to make the comments sections of (e.g.) The Daily Mail exempt from the provisions of the act.

advertisement

Back