advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

My 13 mile commute, by car, takes me around 20-25 minutes in rush hour, perhaps 30 if traffic is bad. It costs me around £3 for the round trip.

Are you saying a journey amounting to 2 x 13 miles only costs you £3? I assume you're only quoting the fuel cost? What are the total costs of running your car per mile. Our Skoda Fabia costs £0.38 per mile all in.

Regards

Richard

Very bad here in Hampshire.
Tried six petrol stations (Supermarket and BP and Shell) local to me at 7am Saturday all with No Fuel signs and queues of over thirty plus.
Continued on to work and passed four stations all similar.
The worst at West Meon where the Police have had to give strong 'advice' as the station is on the main crossroad junction and the queues in four directions had been causing severe problems.
Two more similar near to work NO FUEL and long queues waiting.
On the way home at 3pm to 4pm all these stations I had passed had no queues and signs up NO FUEL.
Bring on the army deliveries, I will try again Wednesday.

Are you saying a journey amounting to 2 x 13 miles only costs you £3? I assume you're only quoting the fuel cost? What are the total costs of running your car per mile. Our Skoda Fabia costs £0.38 per mile all in.

Regards

Richard
My car is 17 years old and has stopped depreciating. I’ve owned it for over 15 years. Insurance, tax and maintenance costs me around £800 per year, or 8p per mile, so added to the 10p per mile on fuel, 26 miles costs me around £4.50 so nearer £5 than £3. My bad. But yes, as I use the car for more than commuting, I tend to think of fuel costs rather than overall costs. Train is still >2 times the daily price.

Second weekend trying to retrieve the car from South East London looks like ending in complete failure.

Booked back home on the train to Newcastle to get to work on Tuesday

Another single ticket down and a couple of Travelodges booked for next weekend but more in hope than expectation.

Starting to think that forgetting it for a few weeks and hiring runabout when necessary might be the best option. I’ll need to look at the insurance implications of long term street parking.

Regards

Richard

I reckon my honda insight is about £19p a mile all in, but I did buy it second hand. Commuting would cost me another 1/3rd as much again while being slower and less convenient. Public transport has a long way to go.

I reckon my honda insight is about £19p a mile all in, but I did buy it second hand. Commuting would cost me another 1/3rd as much again while being slower and less convenient. Public transport has a long way to go.
It's very, very hard to get below 20p a mile all in. I managed it with The Indestructible Mondeo but that was 4 years at 15k miles a year on a car that cost £600.

I have seen no queues anywhere in Edinburgh since this hit the news. Local Sainsbury's had a sign saying "no diesel" the other day but that's been the only indication of any problem.

wilber, can I ask how long it took for your wife’s bus pass to arrive? I’m two months off my 60th and looking forward to free dry transport by the end if the year:D!

It was pretty slow, about 4-5 months after her 60th. Mind you, I don't know if its automatic or you need to apply for it. If the latter then she may have been slow in applying. This is in Scotland mind. Might be different in England.

It was pretty slow, about 4-5 months after her 60th. Mind you, I don't know if its automatic or you need to apply for it. If the latter then she may have been slow in applying. This is in Scotland mind. Might be different in England.

In England it’s at the state pension age - I got mine (which I had to apply for) when I hit 66 last year. In London there’s a 60+ Oyster card that’s available from the age of 60 (obviously!) to whatever a person’s state pension age is. That has to be applied for too. There may be similar 60+ cards in other areas of England - I don’t know.
Due to The Event I’ve not yet used the state provided one, but I got a hell of a lot of use from the Oyster card. Before I was 60 I had a regular Oyster which got a lot of use too, but free is nice!

Mick

Took the hire car back to Bury St Ed’s this morning, walked as fast as I could to the railway station… to see the train pulling away. Next one not due for an hour. Oh. So I took a taxi home. Time is short, at work at 1pm today.

Realistically public transport is not an option to get to my work office (~24 miles away) here in rural Somerset. I did look at it a few years back and iirc it would take over 2hrs each way by bus as the route(s) are tortuous. I do have the option to work at the Bristol office instead which opens up the possibility of going by train, but a quick google shows a peak time day return cost of £39, which is insane.

Fortunately I'm able to work from home indefinitely so my commute time and cost is now zero, but in the long term I may go slightly mad sitting here on my own all day.

In England it’s at the state pension age - I got mine (which I had to apply for) when I hit 66 last year. In London there’s a 60+ Oyster card that’s available from the age of 60 (obviously!) to whatever a person’s state pension age is. That has to be applied for too. There may be similar 60+ cards in other areas of England - I don’t know.
Due to The Event I’ve not yet used the state provided one, but I got a hell of a lot of use from the Oyster card. Before I was 60 I had a regular Oyster which got a lot of use too, but free is nice!

Mick
It’s 60 in Merseyside for the equivalent of the 60+ Oyster, I went for mine the day after my birthday. It’s handy if your travelling on the train as I buy a ticket from the last station on the network which can save a few quid.

Fortunately I'm able to work from home indefinitely so my commute time and cost is now zero, but in the long term I may go slightly mad sitting here on my own all day.

I've worked at home for ever and love it, to such a level that colleagues can be unrecognisable when I actually do meet them (fatter/thinner. grey/no hair).

However I'm not a people person, so offices have never appealed to me.

S

PS As a result I got loads of diesel, as I rarely go anywhere in the car since the world ended.

In the summer I'd be happy to cycle to work - it'd take me a bit longer than either the car or the train but it'd be doable. The problem is I'd need to shower when I arrived and there aren't facilities for that in the building. It also is a far less appealing option in the pouring rain or in the middle of winter when I just want to get to work, do my job and get home. So I have a petrol car and I drive - it's quickest, easiest and currently still the cheapest option.
Look into an electrically-assisted bike for the summer. Friends who have them say it more than doubles the distance they can comfortably cycle; or to put it another way, it’s the speed of cycling with no more effort than walking.

Look into an electrically-assisted bike for the summer. Friends who have them say it more than doubles the distance they can comfortably cycle; or to put it another way, it’s the speed of cycling with no more effort than walking.
A good idea, however space is my limiting factor - I already have a regular bike which also goes on the Wahoo Kickr over winter, I'm not sure I have the space for a second one unfortunately.

Managed to get 70 litres at Asda in Selsey, so I'm good for 435 miles now (allegedly). No queues there, but everywhere else in the area has nothing. They must have had a tanker delivery last night.
132.7 a litre too, which was nice.

Went out in the car for the first time since the great panic.
Local Tesco hyper market had no queues and I filled up with diesel.
All ready for the drive to Hampshire on Friday.

advertisement

Back