advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
More blatant Tory corruption with yet another donor given a peerage and a state-funded ministerial role (Guardian). Mugabe had more dignity.
The public in Scotland are going to love it- a crony of the Tory Party elected by no one, who’s bought his way into government to lord it over them in the now redundant Scotland Office along with the universally ridiculed Allister ‘Union’ Jack.

An absolute cracker in today's Times.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fcd23a234-22e1-11ec-a1fd-37d9030e4d65.jpg

Rishi Rich. Unlike Boris he has shedloads of money and is not obviously a chancer. Gove might have been the choice a few years back but his time has come and gone.
That was my guess, I think Gove is toxic- though I’ve not seen any polling in him as a leadership candidate. What would be curtains for Sunak though is if Jerry Hall says within earshot of the old cadaver, “he’s got great legs”.

What baffles me is that quite a lot of folk actually believe that toppling the leader and installing a new PM from the same front bench somehow changes the policy prescriptions. Aside from inching up the greasy poll to aim for the top job (which they all want), all those people are there precisely because they broadly agree with the course of action and the policies being pursued.

On the matter of Gove I think even the entire Tory party now recognise that this man is a veteran backstabber and social climber. Anyone making an alliance with him in an attempt to first fend-off any other opposition should expect to wake up with a knife in their back.

What baffles me is that quite a lot of folk actually believe that toppling the leader and installing a new PM from the same front bench somehow changes the policy prescriptions. Aside from inching up the greasy poll to aim for the top job (which they all want), all those people are there precisely because they broadly agree with the course of action and the policies being pursued.

Well, quite. In the case of the Tory party, if/when Boris is deposed it will be because he is seen as an electoral liability rather than an asset, not because Tories will have suddenly developed a social conscience. Indeed, the current muttering against his leadership in the Tory rags are based around him not being a 'real Tory', so his replacement will probably be even further to the Right.

Indeed, the current muttering against his leadership in the Tory rags are based around him not being a 'real Tory', so his replacement will probably be even further to the Right.
They seem to waver very broadly with this one. Sometimes a 'not a real Tory' is too watery, as was the opinion of the right-wingers with regard to Cameron, who was just right-wing with a showman veneer of 'compassion'. Other times 'not a real Tory' is a critique of lunatics like the ERG who are thought to be not 'moderate and commonsensical' as most Tories think they are.

What it tells me is that Toryism presents itself as a catch-all, shape-shifting concept predicated upon the view of it being driven by 'tried and true common sense'. These tend to actually be 'tried and true common prejudices'. I think Ted Honderich's book about Toryism was pretty accurate (if long-winded) in showing that so-called Conservatism is just a movement for maintaining age-old inequalities and unjust entitlements under the cover of cautious improvement. Its presentation though is one of its strengths; its goalpost-shifting nature appeals to many positions in at least some of their values.

Ive posted this before. Conservatism is exactly what the name says. Conserving the current system of money and privilege and it’s right to run the country to their benefit. The Tory party will blow in the wind with the one aim of maintaining its grip on government. Whatever it takes, whatever backsliding and about turn is necessary, to stay in power will be done. Dont fret about consistency of policy, there is none other than staying in power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back