advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

I have the Cassandra Wilson on CD: I might spring for that one, as it's a great recording. I also have her 'New Moon Daughter' on the original BN vinyl release which sounds fantastic, so it bodes well.

Anyone got the new ones yet, Out To Lunch and Maiden Voyage? I'm going to pass this time I think and on the coming Christmas album...

Ken Micallef seems to really like both the Maiden Voyage and Out To Lunch stating neither of his have the stitching/infill issues he heard with Midnight Blue. Two of Blue Note’s finest IMO. I’ve got decent copies of both so I’m sitting it out.

The recent QC 'issues' are far from universal but it does seem like a crapshoot. My Midnight Blue and Idle Moments (apart from an unfortunate suface mark) are more than fine but I did have a bit of distortion on one of the lockdown releases.

I passed on Out to Lunch as I have for some strange reason 3 or 4 including a CD copy including the stunning Music Matters 2x45 rpm. Some consider the AP 2x45rpm is even better? But I'm not trying any more. :p I was going to pass on Maiden Voyage as well as I have a couple of decent copies, but have always have always thought it could sound a bit better and I could not afford a Music Matters for that now. So in the end I took a punt on it. Arriving today.

I passed on all this years ones except this (late change of mind) and Chicken Shack as otherwise my copies are good for the others. I' m looking forward to a few from the new list though.

I picked up both a couple of hours ago - haven 't had a chance to play them yet. 3rd copy of Out To Lunch:rolleyes:

It may seem a bit extreme, but I think Out To Lunch is one of the great records of the C20th - regardless of genre. It's over 40 years since I first heard it and I still find it astonishing music and playing. I don't need any more copies but I hope the BNC nails it.

It may seem a bit extreme, but I think Out To Lunch is one of the great records of the C20th - regardless of genre. It's over 40 years since I first heard it and I still find it astonishing music and playing. I don't need any more copies but I hope the BNC nails it.

Graham,
What's you count so far then. ;)

Graham,
What's you count so far then. ;)

Three: MM45, McMaster vinyl and McMaster CD. The first time I heard it was probably a 60s pressing. Although the MM45 is stunning, there is something about the McMaster LP I like - in fact I think there is a bit of clipping in parts which gives the music an edge, and more compression than the MM. Wrong of me I know! The CD was for convenience, rarely played. I'll be passing on the BNC, but I'm sure it will be great.

Three: MM45, McMaster vinyl and McMaster CD. The first time I heard it was probably a 60s pressing. Although the MM45 is stunning, there is something about the McMaster LP I like - in fact I think there is a bit of clipping in parts which gives the music an edge, and more compression than the MM. Wrong of me I know! The CD was for convenience, rarely played. I'll be passing on the BNC, but I'm sure it will be great.
I think my first copy owned copy is (I think) a 1977 BN vinyl reissue. The 1999 CD is I think a Van Gelder cut (played about twice). The DeAgostini vinyl is supposed to the same Ron McMaster mastering that you have (it does sound pretty good) and as I said,the MM 2x45rpm, that is excellent and I like most, but the convenience of the DeAgostini sometimes wins.

I agree with about how important a record it is, but in terms of OG pressings of Blue Notes it is still reasonably cheap in that it can be found in Stereo NM / NM condition for about £400 and Mono (the very first release in 1964) for even less. So even today, nearly 50 years on, too far out for some. Not that I now fully understand it still either, but I do love it!

For checking convenience new releases are below.
October 1, 2021

November 19, 2021 – Hard Bop

November 19, 2021 – The 70s

December 10, 2021 – Soul Jazz

• Jimmy Smith – Home Cookin’ (1958)
  • Reuben Wilson – Love Bug (1969)
December 10, 2021 – Hidden Gems

• Herbie Nichols – The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 (1955)
  • Kenny Cox – Introducing Kenny Cox and The Contemporary Jazz Quintet (1968)
January 21, 2022 – The Avant-Garde

• Jackie McLean – Destination Out (1963)
  • Don Cherry – Where Is Brooklyn? (1966)
February 18, 2022 – Post-Bop

• Joe Henderson – Inner Urge (1964)
  • Lee Morgan – Caramba (1968)
March 18, 2022 – The Rebirth

• Cassandra Wilson – Blue Light ‘Til Dawn (1993)*
  • Geri Allen – Twenty One (1994)*
April 15, 2022 – Bebop

• Milt Jackson – Milt Jackson With John Lewis, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke, Lou Donaldson And The Thelonious Monk Quintet (1948-52)
  • Bud Powell – Time Waits: The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 4 (1958)
*mastered from a digital source

advertisement

Back