advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

I'm astonished they initially only pressed up 500 copies. I guess it goes some way to explaining why releases of this nature are that much more expensive.

It perhaps also explains why the big labels aren't bothered about reissuing much of their back catalogue. Why bother when the most you're going to see from it is ~£5k before manufacturing costs?
Well back then that was the case. They thought vinyl was on the way out and CD's were the future so it wasn't worth doing themselves, but they were happy to make some money by selling limited volume licences to others who thought they could make a profit selling more expensive better quality vinyl masterings and pressings to the audiophile market.

But things have now changed CD's are now on the way out replaced by streaming to the wider market and vinyl has seen a very good resurgence. The Tone Poet's have demonstrated (a bit to there own surprise I think given they started with very limited runs and only for a year trial) to large companies, particularly Universal with great back catalogues, that while still not massive market sellers they are now able to generate a healthly profit given premium prices and sales eventually up to around 10,000 copies for each release. To make any profits from licences for streaming you need really very much higher numbers streamed or downloaded.

Joe Harley is already working on releases for 2023 so TP's seem unlikely to finish soon. Music Matters are now selling copies from a little capacity on the remainder of their licenses in the $100 -$125 range! The one year run of the cheaper BN80's sold well and has encouraged Universal further. I expect the also cheaper BN Classics are being sold in much higher numbers than the TP's, but they need to improve the quality control or they could kill 'the golden goose' like with the BN75's. Verve (again Universal) have joined this market and other big labels are reported to be interested (Decca for one).

One caviate is these pretty much all seem to be for the Jazz Market with Jazz having one of its up periods, but some of us have seen this interest wax and wane previously over the years.

A record shop manager mentioned to me the other week that they struggle to get enough Universal vinyl - so it seems the demand is certainly there at the moment.

A record shop manager mentioned to me the other week that they struggle to get enough Universal vinyl - so it seems the demand is certainly there at the moment.

Quite a few local shops don't stock it at all. There's plenty more good music out there though ;) For me though, I want a few of the classic BN albums as I've only got the RGV series CDs in many cases, because that was all that was available at the time I was buying.

In case anyone else missed out on the BN Classic Vinyl re-issue of Art Blakey - Moanin' first time around which sold out quickly, Juno has them back in stock now. My copy arrived today and is perfectly flat and free of clicks and pops.

In case anyone else missed out on the BN Classic Vinyl re-issue of Art Blakey - Moanin' first time around which sold out quickly, Juno has them back in stock now. My copy arrived today and is perfectly flat and free of clicks and pops.

Thanks for the tip :)

Donald Byrd – Places and Spaces - YES PLEASE! :)

Will be picking up Destination Out too on the basis that it contains Grachan Moncur III.

Anyone not already familiar with Herbie Nichols is in for a treat. Release says Vol.1 & 2 so I wonder if it will be similar to the Japanese issue I have which combines both volumes squeezing in 25 mins per side?

A few of interest to me this time especially better pressings of the Jackie McLean, Don Cherry and Herbie Nichols. I hope they get the QC issues sorted by the time they release these.

Anyone not already familiar with Herbie Nichols is in for a treat. Release says Vol.1 & 2 so I wonder if it will be similar to the Japanese issue I have which combines both volumes squeezing in 25 mins per side?
Should just about be OK at 25 minutes a side. Kevin will probably make a good job of it if it is that. I wouldn't mind paying for one of each though as I only have CD's for these. The covers are great as well. Another reason for one of each. I wonder how they will handle that if both on one LP? The originals were 10". That would make a nice difference if they were to reproduce that size. :) Can't see it happening though. :(
Edit:
I didn't read Theo's link properly. It does say both Herbie Nichols will be on one LP.

The covers are great as well. Another reason for one of each.

Yes the covers are great! Discogs says the cover artist Martin Craig also designed the first Blue Note label (which is a pretty iconic bit of design work!) but I don't know anything else about him.

I have a 1991 12" LP reissue of Vol.1 and it is slightly odd having an LP with such short sides. There was a 10" reissue in 1999. I agree - that would be a nice way to do it this time around.

Yes the covers are great! Discogs says the cover artist Martin Craig also designed the first Blue Note label but I don't know anything else about him.

I have a 1991 12" LP reissue of Vol.1 and it is slightly odd having an LP with such short sides. There was a 10" reissue in 1999. I agree - that would be a nice way to do it this time around.
Paul see my edit above. It is both on 1 LP. :(

That’s great to see them deliberately shifting genres. I’m certainly in for the ‘70s stuff.
I think I will pass on the Bobbi Humphrey though. Once bitten (BN80) twice shy!! I'm glad they are diversifying, but I don't think quite a few of these really qualify as 'Classics'. At least yet.

I think I will pass on the Bobbi Humphrey though.

I think I’ll have it. I had a listen to a couple of tracks on YouTube and rather liked it. I have no issue with cheesy disco funk though. I’d prefer it and the Byrd without vocal, but still an interesting addition to a Blue Note collection. I’m hoping they get to Electric Byrd at some point too.

Although my Mosaic complete Herbie Nichols LP box set is an AAA McMaster, it tends to sound a bit flat and undynamic. So very much looking forward to what Kevin Gray and co can do with this one.

Nice to see the Ornette title as well as some soul jazz.

Last edited:
I think I’ll have it. I had a listen to a couple of tracks on YouTube and rather liked it. I have no issue with cheesy disco funk though. I’d prefer it and the Byrd without vocal, but still an interesting addition to a Blue Note collection. I’m hoping they get to Electric Byrd at some point too.

I'm hoping they'll do Stepping Into Tomorrow too. I think these records are as much Mizell Brothers records as they are the stated leader. I get why they might leave a lot of Blue Note / hard bop listeners cold as they're a very different thing to the label's 1960s output but what I've heard I really like - I just wish it wasn't so expensive/hard to find!

That's an interestingly mixed bag and far less predictable than the first group of releases from this series. I'll be looking out for the Donald Byrd, Herbie Nichols, Jackie McLean, Don Cherry ,Cassandra Wilson and Geri Allen records - and may well end up picking up one or two more.

advertisement

Back