advertisement

Who's bought their last tank of petrol?

That's a load of bollox frankly.

Full of maybes and might be's

As I said above electricity power stations are terribly inefficient and that bollox above is saying that EVs need more efficient power generation ie up to date power stations which isn't going to happen anytime soon, punters will buy cheap cars from China rather than from Sweden that's just a simple fact, I mean how many people have the dosh to buy a £50k Volvo?

From that link above.

"With cars emitting a sizeable proportion of global greenhouse gases, e-vehicles are increasingly seen as the solution, and are being promoted by the EU. However, there have been suggestions that, when cradle-to-grave emissions are taken into account, including emissions from generating the electricity that powers e-vehicles, EVs perform no better than petrol and diesel cars, and sometimes worse."

Yes, I can quote out of context, but it then goes on to say?

Yes, I can quote out of context, but it then goes on to say?

I'm not quoting anything out of context the bottom line is electricity generation isn't the future of electric cars, how can it be?

There are better and more efficient ways of powering electric cars but it's not by using power stations to produce electricity however most solutions will cost an absolute fortune in infrastructure costs.

BTW this electric car 'revolution' has the solar panel feed in tariff scam written all over it.

Over £700 a month I'll have two please:)

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/care-by-volvo/cars/?filters.crossoverModels=C40

Not sure if I linked this when I watched it almost a year ago but it’s factual and Chris is asking the questions. What’s not to like.

That's a load of bollox frankly.

Full of maybes and might be's

As I said above electricity power stations are terribly inefficient and that bollox above is saying that EVs need more efficient power generation ie up to date power stations which isn't going to happen anytime soon, punters will buy cheap cars from China rather than from Sweden that's just a simple fact, I mean how many people have the dosh to buy a £50k Volvo?

From that link above.

"With cars emitting a sizeable proportion of global greenhouse gases, e-vehicles are increasingly seen as the solution, and are being promoted by the EU. However, there have been suggestions that, when cradle-to-grave emissions are taken into account, including emissions from generating the electricity that powers e-vehicles, EVs perform no better than petrol and diesel cars, and sometimes worse."

The cynic in me tells me it’s a classic bait and switch con, selling ‘green’ credentials which we are later told were false. They did it 20 years ago getting everyone switched into diesels then taxed the hell out of them. 20 years is the blink of an eye, they knew exactly what diesel did. Watch the EV tax regime soar once they’ve achieved critical mass adoption from which there’s no way back until the next ‘green’ solution. Rinse and repeat. It’s purely about consumerism and tax revenues by getting people to buy more expensive stuff more often.

I'm not quoting anything out of context the bottom line is electricity generation isn't the future of electric cars, how can it be?

There are better and more efficient ways of powering electric cars but it's not by using power stations to produce electricity however most solutions will cost an absolute fortune in infrastructure costs.

BTW this electric car 'revolution' has the solar panel feed in tariff scam written all over it.

Over £700 a month I'll have two please:)

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/care-by-volvo/cars/?filters.crossoverModels=C40

Right you are then…

i pay £400 a month, including everything. It’s cheaper to run than my aged old Volvo was. That used to cost me £250 in fuel, £80 in insurance, £20 in car tax, £10 breakdown insurance and £150 put aside for repairs and a new old one for when it died.

You failed to see that even if built in China and ran in Poland, CO2 emissions would be significantly lower than diesel or petrol vehicles over the lifetime of the car.

No-ones suggesting they’re the perfect solution, but for someone like me who commutes around an area, and does no more than 100 miles unless it’s an exceptional day they’re not far short.

I’m happy to do my bit. Get a car that’s nicer to drive as well.

I have a Tesla Model 3 works great, cheap fuel, convenient charging at home, work and on the road. Incredible to drive, the most relaxing car ever with effortless performance, single pedal driving most of the time.

Same old tropes getting wheeled out on the thread I see, usual short sighted nonsense. It is an emerging technology, not a scam. Not for everyone yet, tech not there for all you wanting 1000 miles non stop or a service engineer working Scotland or Cornwall. Might never be suitable for you, pick something else like HFCEV or keep driving your older cars, no-one is taking them away. It is brilliant for most personal car uses but home charging for flats and street parking will remain a challenge for a while.

Prices will continue to reduce, tax is clearly coming to charging sadly but inevitably. For now I will enjoy being over £4000 a year better off, possibly more depending how much mileage I end up doing.

Yes that reputable enquiring documentary Top Gear, they always let the truth get on the way of a good story don’t they?

I don’t think the original Zoe had much of a range to begin with. Mine will do 220/230 miles.

people will believe what they want to believe as long as it fits their agenda. No different to trumpism or brexit or anything else really. Facts don’t come into it.

it’s a shame really because they are missing out, but hey ho.

All I know is the only way I could afford a base line tesla was to lease at 700 a month that is many many times what I have ever spent on a vehicle and simply the cost did not add up. I dont see myself doing my job in a nissan leaf the costs are just astronomical. Its all well and good saving a few quid on petrol, but for people who have never purchased a new car electrics are right out.

Has it been an issue so far?

Well I don't know tony, but you do acknowledge batteries wear yes?

I think the leaf for instance you didn't even buy the batteries, they were 'leased'. I can only imagine swapping out a boot load of batteries for a car is going to be eye wateringly expensive. probably more than a BMW wing mirror.

I don’t have an EV yet as I just can’t afford one large enough for our needs. And that’s needs, not wants.
However, EV batteries…. Compared to… engine wear, battery, wearing alternator, rotting exhaust, clunky starter motor, failing DPF or cat, air con using R134a…

There’s a bloke where I work who, faced with 99 reasons to do/buy something will stare at the one reason not to. He’s the most miserable bloke I’ve ever met. I don’t want to be like Pat!

advertisement

Back