advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

We lose 100 audiophile credential points for admitting that aesthetics do matter, but I’m with you.

I particularly agree that gold and silver don’t work together (unless accompanied by bronze on an Olympic podium), but I’d be happy with an Accuphase alongside my black components.
I used to vex over the different shades of olive when I had Naim, so that makes at least three of us.

Curiously, I did not mind the champagne gold of the Accuphase A-48 when I had one on home dem, fronted by a silver-faced preamp.

But how many Luxman amplifiers, particularly the current range, have you heard in direct comparison?

I heard the Luxman a few years ago alongside the Accuphase at my dealer, and I also listened to the current Luxman range at the NW Hifi show. To my ears they sound less engaging than the Accuphase and are not as well built. I should say that I buy my gear from the UK distributor for Accuphase and his set up gets the most from the range. As ever my advice would be to try to get a listen for yourself.

Hi, I've missed this post so thought I'd bring it back to life.
Hoping to home demo the Accuphase C2150 and P4500 in the next few weeks, sadly won't be able to afford both and maybe not even one, but I'm interested to hear which makes the biggest difference in SQ.
Mac

Hi, I've missed this post so thought I'd bring it back to life.
Hoping to home demo the Accuphase C2150 and P4500 in the next few weeks, sadly won't be able to afford both and maybe not even one, but I'm interested to hear which makes the biggest difference in SQ.
Mac

Not sure the 2150/4500 will be significantly better than your current 2420/4200. I suspect it will be a sideways move at best, but I'd be curious about your impressions if you get to compare the two combos side by side - not a lot of people are able to do that in the comfort of their own home with a system they are familiar with.

Of course if you want to reduce box count by employing the DAC board option of the 2150 I can understand why you want to explore that option.

In your situation, I'd try to get my hands on a 28XX (easier said than done I know), and keep the 4200.

Not sure the 2150/4500 will be significantly better than your current 2420/4200. I suspect it will be a sideways move at best, but I'd be curious about your impressions if you get to compare the two combos side by side - not a lot of people are able to do that in the comfort of their own home with a system they are familiar with.

Of course if you want to reduce box count by employing the DAC board option of the 2150 I can understand why you want to explore that option.

In your situation, I'd try to get my hands on a 28XX (easier said than done I know), and keep the 4200.

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. I suspect you're right, but the next step up the ladder is a lot of dough, so trying to keep it realistic.
Apologies, but I'm not familiar with the 28XX, is it an old model and is it class A?
I'm still not 100% I'll be able to pull the demo off, but the dealer is seeing what he can do.
Mac

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. I suspect you're right, but the next step up the ladder is a lot of dough, so trying to keep it realistic.
Apologies, but I'm not familiar with the 28XX, is it an old model and is it class A?
I'm still not 100% I'll be able to pull the demo off, but the dealer is seeing what he can do.
Mac

With 28XX I meant any model from that line, i.e. the C-2800, C-2810, C-2820, C-2850. Of course the C-2800 is probably getting a bit long in the tooth by now, while the C-2850 even second hand might be too expensive (it certainly would be for me).

As I stated earlier, I would consider upgrading from my 2120 to a model of the 24XX line (perhaps some upcoming successor to the 2450) as I suspect that there is not enough improvement from the 2120 to the 2150 to make this worthwhile, particularly when factoring in buying the 2150 new and having to sell the 2120.

However if you have the possibility to compare side by side then any insights coming from that are much more meaningful than the ramblings of an armchair expert like me! ;)

Mac

Or, why not leave the pre/power as is and consider an Accuphase CDP? As you may know, they also have digital inputs so they could in theory replace both your Electrocompaniet CDP and your Luxman DAC (provided you like what you hear).

Or, why not leave the pre/power as is and consider an Accuphase CDP? As you may know, they also have digital inputs so they could in theory replace both your Electrocompaniet CDP and your Luxman DAC (provided you like what you hear).

Funny you should say that, it's something I tried to explore earlier in the year, but struggled to get a home demo, still might be something to discuss with the dealer I'm in contact with now though.
The other thing about changing one of the amps, I would be able to do part exchange to lower the cost a fair bit.
I do take on board what you say and appreciate your opinions, even if they're only from an armchair aspect.

Glad to get a review on this one. I'd always read accounts of Accuphase being largely neutral erring towards warm. Perhaps they're deviating away from this - seems that's what many updates from brands means these days.

There's an Accuphase DP560 SACD in the trade classifides and the dealer has offered me a deal for my Luxman 06 DAC and Electro CDP plus cash... the problem I have is not knowing if the DAC in the DP560 will be a step up from the Luxman and I can't hear before committing myself.
Mac

The DP560 is extraordinary, I think. A truly great player. If I didn’t already have a dCS Puccini, it would have been my choice when I heard it. I prefer the Puccini, but it’s bloody close and I know friends who have it the other way round. They’re different in presentation and if I wasn’t already familiar with the dCS presentation I do think could well have preferred the Accuphase too.

There's an Accuphase DP560 SACD in the trade classifides and the dealer has offered me a deal for my Luxman 06 DAC and Electro CDP plus cash... the problem I have is not knowing if the DAC in the DP560 will be a step up from the Luxman and I can't hear before committing myself.
Mac

I suspect the Luxman 06 will be difficult to beat to be honest - a dream DAC for me (and many others I imagine) - albeit the Accuphase DP560 could offer some synergy with the rest of your equipment.

Two Official videos - WITH ENGLISH SUB-TITLES - from Luxman discussing product development (Sry, if already posted before!)

D-03X (entry-level Digital-player with DAC):

D-10X (reference level Digital-player with DAC):

Comparison Video of 4 Japanese High-End Digital Players- in Japanese with no Sub-titles :(

Comparison Video of 6 Japanese Mid-Level Digital Players- in Japanese with no Sub-titles :(

for the above videos: Does anyone here know of a tool that can create real-time subtitles/translations when the video is playing with audio in Japanese??

. . . a quick mail exchange with Luxman official:

Dear XXXXX

No new updated models relating to the 550AXII or 590AXII for 2021. There will be some new models arriving in 2022 (not necessarily related to 550/590), so stay tuned to our Facebook page and website. We have no additional information or official announcements at this time.

Best regards,
ZZZZ

Hi.

Am a long-time Luxman Fan. Simply great products; complements to the team.
I just wanted to check if a new iteration is expected anytime soon for 550 AXII or 590 AXII.
The L-550AX was launched in Feb/2011 and L-550AXII was launched in Apr/2016; so, it seems every 5 years there’s an updated model
. . .Thus, my question; is the AX’III’ expected in 2021 for 550 or 590?

Best
XXXXX

advertisement

Back