advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Not unlike Naim then. When do you think the C-2450 will be superseded? It is already pricier than the A-48.

Well, according to this

https://www.accuphase.com/history.html

..these are the dates where the respective models in the C-24XX series have been introduced to the market (Accuphase excludes current models in this listing for some reason):

C-2400 - 2003.08
C-2410 - 2007.07
C-2420 - 2012.11

.. and I think the 2450 was introduced mid to end of 2017. So I guess it still has some life left until it gets replaced if we assume a 4-5 year cycle which is usual for them. I am sure that Covid19 will have also disrupted this rhythm somewhat.

Also I noticed that they became a bit sloppy and have not updated some model categories on the list, e.g. the A-47 is missing which has been superceded about 1-2 years ago by the A-48.

Anyway this is all pretty academic since Accuphase is about as timeless as it gets (their exterior design has not changed significantly for the last 30ish years) so just buy with confidence and enjoy your time off the merry go round.

HTH!

Knowing the sum of nothing much about electronic innards, I'd like to hear the engineers opinion about pre/power vs integrated amps. 'In the old days' I understood it was to do with shielding, and component/wiring run separation, cooling and other mechanical stuff? I wonder now if, with advances in materials, this is the case? Given the two approaches using the same componentry, would they sound different, and why?

Where's Jez when you need him :)?

I think it also has to do with sheer physical size - try to shoehorn two of these:

https://www.accuphase.com/model/m-6200.html

and one of these

https://www.accuphase.com/model/c-3900.html

into 1 box!

I am in the market to buy a Accuphase Pre/Power Amp.
Is a newer 2150 a better pre then an older 2420? They are similar priced as second hand here in middle Europe. What I see on their homepage the 2420 is a better building, a mechanical better construction. But how about the sound quality? Sounds a newer, lesser in the hierarchy, better then a previous higher in the hierarchy?

Regards, Daniel

PS: Sorry about my English language, I am German speaking only.

The integrated vs separates question is a good one. Which leads me to ask if any fishie has first hand experience comparing the Accuphase E-650 with the Luxman L590AXII. Both are allegedly class A with 30WPC, but Accuphase is 50% dearer than Luxman. Is it 50% better as well?

The integrated vs separates question is a good one. Which leads me to ask if any fishie has first hand experience comparing the Accuphase E-650 with the Luxman L590AXII. Both are allegedly class A with 30WPC, but Accuphase is 50% dearer than Luxman. Is it 50% better as well?
Almost certainly not. Probably very close. I doubt it’s possible to get even 20% better at any price once you’re up at this end. A bit like running the 100m sprint, improvements are highly marginal in absolute terms…

That being said, I haven’t compared them, but struggle to imagine much that really could be improved in my amp, though there may be an element of preference in how an amp/speaker combination ticks an individual’s boxes…

Agree with JTC..the variations in sound that are typical of the two makes will be present, but 'better' is all personal preference here. Even the most stringent measurements won't show 20% difference between the two...maybe around 0.1% in some areas and even then, very unlikely to be superior in performance terms. But they will each sound different with your source and with your speakers, (and ofc one is beautiful and the other is gold and very, um, American) :)
All down to taste.

In a lot of tests, the Lux is placed, in the reviewers opinion, as about the pinnacle of what a class A integrated amp can be right now, which is some praise. I expect somewhere someone has said the same for the Accuphase and so on, round and round. You need to get to hear them in your room with your kit.

I am in the market to buy a Accuphase Pre/Power Amp.
Is a newer 2150 a better pre then an older 2420? They are similar priced as second hand here in middle Europe. What I see on their homepage the 2420 is a better building, a mechanical better construction. But how about the sound quality? Sounds a newer, lesser in the hierarchy, better then a previous higher in the hierarchy?

That's a question that can probably only be answered in a direct comparison (sry - probably not the answer you were looking for), and even then it's down to the individual whether they perceive the difference as better and worth the money. Looking at the insides, yes the 2420 looks nicer with the covers over the electronics and the more elaborate PSU is nice too, both of which will certainly drive the price up. It could also be worthwhile to check which generation of AAVA volume control they both use.

Personally I wouldn't consider moving from my 2120 to a 2150 - I'd go one level up and at least one model change forward (if you see what I mean), i.e. a 2450.

When I clicked I got a very concerning pop up. Can’t remember what, but I backed out fast.

Edit, my phone asked me if I wanted to download something. That suggests the site was trying to download something to my phone. Not good, IMHO, to do this the moment you visit a site.

No, I checked it again, the pop up was a dialog box asking me if I wanted to download an application. Pushing an executable the moment you land on a site is a bit triggering, and I didn’t linger.

advertisement

Back