advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

@vln
Thank you very much for your answer; and yes, I understand what you mean.

Here where I live I could buy a 2420 for 5500 Euros, a unit from 2015 including remote, packaging and owners manual. This Pre I could only compare to a higher one, as the owner upgraded his pre.
Anyone else done a comparison between a 2420/2450 and a 2120/2150? Some other suggestions or recommendations? Does the sound signature over this different generations of Accuphase pres changes?

Regards, Daniel

@vln
Thank you very much for your answer; and yes, I understand what you mean.

Here where I live I could buy a 2420 for 5500 Euros, a unit from 2015 including remote, packaging and owners manual. This Pre I could only compare to a higher one, as the owner upgraded his pre.
Anyone else done a comparison between a 2420/2450 and a 2120/2150? Some other suggestions or recommendations? Does the sound signature over this different generations of Accuphase pres changes?

Regards, Daniel

Hi there,
Afraid I haven't heard all of those preamps, but I do own the C2420 and all I would say, pay for the most expensive one you can afford, you won't regret it.
Mac

Hi Mac
Thank you for your answer. I like your Accuphase amplification, I guess you are happy with it. Do you ever think or feel its not enough? Does this combo brings satisfaction? Could it be the endgame, as I look for a amplification which excited me for my last 20/30 years of my life?
More opinions are welcome and greatly appreciate.

Regards, Daniel

A general query. How is the soundstage on the upper cut Yamaha amplifiers? My older midrange model has a narrow soundstage with neither depth nor presence. Otherwise, it sounds fantastic: big, ballsy in the bass, detailed, and coherent.

As a general reply, I think that sound staging is 90% to do with loudspeaker, the placing, and the interaction with your room and the seating position isn’t it?
It's really a kind of near field setup: speakers 1.2m apart and close to the wall, seating 2m away, again close to the wall. You wouldn't expect much depth, yet compared to the Yamaha, the A60 and a Rotel create wider and deeper soundstages. Thus it seems fair to place some responsibility on the Yamaha here.

Hi Mac
Thank you for your answer. I like your Accuphase amplification, I guess you are happy with it. Do you ever think or feel its not enough? Does this combo brings satisfaction? Could it be the endgame, as I look for a amplification which excited me for my last 20/30 years of my life?
More opinions are welcome and greatly appreciate.

Regards, Daniel

Hi Dani,
I believe it gives me all I want and they sound great matched with my Harbeths, but the pre/power I have are probably on the older side now C2420 and P4200 and if an upgrade became available I would be tempted at the right price.
Keep us updated on what you decide.
Mac

As a general reply, I think that sound staging is 90% to do with loudspeaker, the placing, and the interaction with your room and the seating position isn’t it?

@Durmbo Sitting 2m away is mid-field, not near-field.:)

After reading Rockmeister’s reply last night, I tried pulling my chair to 1.2m from the speakers. And would you know, the Yamaha gave a soundstage practically identical to the A60’s. In fact, with my digital source I was hard pressed to tell them apart at all! Quite a surprise.

But I preferred my seat closer to the wall for a better bass response from my tiny speakers.

It’s always difficult with an awkward shaped room, and I am guessing by your dimensions, but yours is quite an awkward shape? I suppose one solution may be to move your speakers out from the rear wall, but perhaps you would lose bass?

It’s always difficult with an awkward shaped room, and I am guessing by your dimensions, but yours is quite an awkward shape? I suppose one solution may be to move your speakers out from the rear wall, but perhaps you would lose bass?

The room is small and narrow. My speakers are on a sideboard firing across the room. No room for stands :( The speakers must be at the front edge of the sideboard to reduce diffraction. After much jiggerypokery I have them sounding surprisingly satisfying.

I have no shortage of small speakers so will try different pairs if I’m to stay with near field listening. Or just sit back and stay with the A60, which has a more sympathetic phono capacitance for my cartridge anyway.

The integrated vs separates question is a good one. Which leads me to ask if any fishie has first hand experience comparing the Accuphase E-650 with the Luxman L590AXII. Both are allegedly class A with 30WPC, but Accuphase is 50% dearer than Luxman. Is it 50% better as well?
Hi
I tried both the Accuphase e650 and Luxman 590
Both excellent and both preferred to my Naim 300dr / 252 SC dr
At the end went for the Luxman as better VFM over the Accuphase
Both sounder excellent and very similar
Smooth as silk big open natural sound stage
Maybe the Luxman bit more micro detail and the Accuphase maybe more dynamic.
Both great

Hi
Both great
I'm glad you posted this. Short and concise which I can surely relate since I own both Luxman L-590AXII and Naim 282/250DR/HCDR. The refinement and detail of the 590AXII are on another level and preferred to the Naim as well. Similarly I find the Luxman to do micro-detail very well and this observation was also shared by Steve Huff in his review of the L-590AXII.

I find the Luxman to sound very natural and neutral in comparison to the Naim, and that may be one of the reasons it sounded slightly less dynamic. Very low colouration with the Luxman as the music just flows gracefully and with ease. The Naim sounds more dynamic and slightly forced(less refined) with a slight reduction in clarity and detail. The integrated actually sounds better than the pre/power.

Perhaps the level of refinement of the 590AXII is on par or higher than the 252/300DR?

I'm glad you posted this. Short and concise which I can surely relate since I own both Luxman L-590AXII and Naim 282/250DR/HCDR. The refinement and detail of the 590AXII are on another level and preferred to the Naim as well. Similarly I find the Luxman to do micro-detail very well and this observation was also shared by Steve Huff in his review of the L-590AXII.

I find the Luxman to sound very natural and neutral in comparison to the Naim, and that may be one of the reasons it sounded slightly less dynamic. Very low colouration with the Luxman as the music just flows gracefully and with ease. The Naim sounds more dynamic and slightly forced(less refined) with a slight reduction in clarity and detail. The integrated actually sounds better than the pre/power.

Perhaps the level of refinement of the 590AXII is on par or higher than the 252/300DR?

yes indeed
The Luxman on another level
Basically more musical more true to the music seems more natural and more real
And mostly more enjoyable

Hi
Both great
Thanks for sharing your lived experience. Sound aside, I think the silver colour and analogue meters of the Luxman swings it for me. I shall give the 590 serious consideration when I need new amps.

If Luxman had VU meters styled a bit more subtle like my Yamaha I'd be very tempted by the 590, the black and yellow colour combo is a bit too 'in your face' IMO. Despite being digital I'm actually quite attracted to the Accuphase's display, unfortunately the strong gold colour of the faceplate would stand out like a sore thumb against the rest of my kit which is all silver. I wish I wasn't so shallow when it comes to aesthetics!...

If Luxman had VU meters styled a bit more subtle like my Yamaha I'd be very tempted by the 590, the black and yellow colour combo is a bit too 'in your face' IMO. Despite being digital I'm actually quite attracted to the Accuphase's display, unfortunately the strong gold colour of the faceplate would stand out like a sore thumb against the rest of my kit which is all silver. I wish I wasn't so shallow when it comes to aesthetics!...

We lose 100 audiophile credential points for admitting that aesthetics do matter, but I’m with you.

I particularly agree that gold and silver don’t work together (unless accompanied by bronze on an Olympic podium), but I’d be happy with an Accuphase alongside my black components.

yes indeed
The Luxman on another level
Basically more musical more true to the music seems more natural and more real
And mostly more enjoyable
That's surely good to know! I too enjoy the Luxman a lot these days and totally immerse myself in the music.

I've had the champagne of Accuphase in a system with silver components over the years and it works from visual point of view. They also sound far better than the Luxman range in my experience.

advertisement

Back