advertisement

Rather disappointing..

Vickers HiFi have been going for 50+ years... if they plan on continuing, they should honor the return/refund.

Even if the return is issued/accepted via eBay it still doesnt stop Vickers from sending a courier to collect. I have done this before, not so long ago.

They have, so have many other companies who try to wangle out of something, using '50 years in service' is a bit of an oxymoron though considering how they packaged the items :)

A courier can be sent sure, as long as Vickers provides the returns label showing full tracking number on the returns console. This way you have to be on the 'ball' knowing what to do and what to look out for, when if you use the eBay Managed Returns option, you dont have to do anything but take it to a PO, get it scanned and obtain the receipt.

I think I'd jump in the car and deliver it back to the seller in person, get my money refunded and perhaps give them a piece of my mind.

There's damage to the rear panel, I don't know whether there's damage also to the bits that are visible when it's positioned. As has been mentioned belts and operational issues can mostly be fixed, these are beautifully made machines and made to last. I speak as a fellow owner of a CD12, it's creamy and rich tonal colour is just to die for. And they're pretty rare, you can go years without one coming up for sale (their owners know how good they are) and the Emporium one is a bit sorry with its feet removed. Mine is staying with me until I leave this earth. I heard that there were 500 made, 250 Marantz CD12s and 250 Philips LHH1000s but I never established when / how many LEs were produced or what differentiated them from the standard one.

Obviously it's not our decision what to do, personally if the machines are not too badly cosmetically affected I'd be talking to Mike P since as everyone knows he is fantastic at repairing Philips and Sony based players and like many I find it very hard to believe the company would have shipped it in that state with no protection, I wonder what must have happened. Anyway sincerest condolences to the buyer and best wishes with whatever he decides to do.

Thanks. My position is that I have no means of returning them unless replace packaging is sent first. I haven't raised a return. Yet. But the first thing I did was send an email by return to the one that they sent me ("rest assured that they will be suitably protected...") saying pretty much what I said in my opening post.
I've not yet received a reply.
These items can never be re-sold by the dealer as the feedback I will supply will be forever linked to the serial numbers.
Amazingly, the appear to have survived cosmetically, apart from the plug damage.
I am confident that Mike can get them going, even if that means purchasing a donor CD94 or CD960.
Ironically, I had these units on my watch list for at least three years and have let others go by as I don't think they would be properly shipped.

Thanks. My position is that I have no means of returning them unless replace packaging is sent first. I haven't raised a return. Yet. But the first thing I did was send an email by return to the one that they sent me ("rest assured that they will be suitably protected...") saying pretty much what I said in my opening post.
I've not yet received a reply.
These items can never be re-sold by the dealer as the feedback I will supply will be forever linked to the serial numbers.
Amazingly, the appear to have survived cosmetically, apart from the plug damage.
I am confident that Mike can get them going, even if that means purchasing a donor CD94 or CD960.
Ironically, I had these units on my watch list for at least three years and have let others go by as I don't think they would be properly shipped.

I'd suggest asking for a refund of the purchase price down to what they would sell for as "For Parts/Repair" in exchange for keeping them.

Your packaging picture is simply atrocious, particularly after the "suitably protected" phrase the seller used.

Hi Mods
Could you close this thread please? I wouldn't want the dealer entering into any discussion on here. Not the place.
Thanks.

Personally I think it would be good to hear what they have to say especially after their name has been mentioned . It’s a discussion not a monologue after all

I've been pottering around Audio forums for a few years and Vickers have never, to my knowledge, contributed to any of them - it's not their style. Even their Twitter & FB pages are like the Marie Celeste!

There isn't a dealer in their right mind who is going to enter discussion about this publically, unless it began with 'we cocked up and yes all getting sorted for you immediately'.

Censoring this is a bad move considering you've used the support and knowledge of forum members to work out your position in this, it's only fair they should see how the issue continues and how it is resolved by the dealer.

Not wanting to censor this at all, just sensitive that Tony may not wish to have a customer service issue negotiated on his website.

Last edited:
tbh, I think the thread should have been locked long ago. TonyL has always (quite rightly) resisted attempts to make pfm a location for customer complaints.

I wonder if the box has burst open in transit and the courier just casually threw the contents back.
I've had that happen to me once.

If anyone wants to know what happens in the future, they cam PM me. If this is resolved somehow and is player fixed on my terms, it will no doubt appear in a system pic one day.

I wonder if the box has burst open in transit and the courier just casually threw the contents back.
I've had that happen to me once.
It's possible, but the internal packing shows that they took zero care. Otherwise the transport and dad would still have substantial bubble wrapping around each. There was no internal impact protection against interior movement or impact from outside. The only reason not to use two boxes was to save money. And maybe a third for the remote.

Seeing as I've lead you all down here, I'll tell you where I am.
They are not going to get a second chance of trashing this. Especially as my returning it will probably lead to that happening en route.
I have opened it up. I admit this means that an Ebay return is unlikely.
The transport appears to have suffered a blow, such that the tray was displaced far enough to the left to allow it to slip out of the rail on the right.
This is why it wasn't supported and could only come out halfway at best and with coaxing.. And in coming out halfway, it was pressed to the top of the opening and suffered a loss of paint. I hope I've removed all of the paint the was pulled up.
It was a fiddly but I was able to relocate the tray once I'd removed the copper shielding to get access.
Now, when I switch it on from cold, it makes a whirring/grinding noise, a bit like wheel spin. And then stops. This can be repeated 10-15 times or so until it will open and then immediately close, with more wheel spinning as the tray withdraws fully. But this is progress. Two or three more attempts and the wheel spinning is almost gone and the tray opens and closes at my command. It will then play a disc.
if I keep the player active, I can use it. if I leave it for a few hours, it will start all over again to refuse to open.
it takes a lot of wheel spinning before something takes a grip and it opens. When it does decide to play, it reads TOC almost instantly, and on some occasions, opens quickly and silently as you'd expect. But I have to repeatedly open and close it to get to that point.
I've left two stinking reviews. If they want to make things right for me, then the outcome may be reflected in the reviews. Otherwise, they will have to suffer the reviews there forever.
We know people that can fix this. I'd rather it was done for me rather than someone else.

As you've opened it just to check if damaged I would have thought you could still return it.

Alternatively you could try to negotiate a partial refund to cover the repair costs?

advertisement

Back