advertisement

Rather disappointing..

I’m with @Mike P on this - go for a partial refund if exterior damage is only at rear, where are you going find another set like this?

Yes. One in Scotland (collection only, I'm on the South Coast) and one other. Without feet and looking rather unloved.

The 'This Way Up" thing amuses me. I've many a time written this in 150pt Font in red on a box. The driver picks it up and straight away rotates it around 90°.

It’s simple - you must pack as if idiots are going to play football with it. I’ve have 2 transport damages; 1 a tape deck I gave to Tony…it was an Aiwa and it had a fitting mounded into back plastic for the plug prongs so I left plug on fitted into it…wrong, it got staved. Another a bloody nice L75 - I was so confident of my packing we sent it low value as gift with no insurance - someone opened the box en-route and didn’t repack properly - the rb250 counterweight was left to bounce around the inside of box, completely ruining the deck :(

on the flip side I’ve sent other stuff across the world without problem, including a Woodside valve amp from here to UK without issue.

Many moons ago I received a pair of brake discs delivered by (sh)City link, the box felt a bit too bendy, and on opening they were broken clean in two. Even the delivery driver looked genuinely shocked at that one.

Terrible packing and a real shame.

received an old Rotel amp many years ago the box was in tatters not a square edge on it plug had damaged the back and the sides were dented.

never did get compensation as seller could not prove the condition of the box prior to pick up, I now take photos of any parcel and send them to buyers to with copy of proof of postage

Belts and gears are a common problem with the transport mechanism as these players age. Both can be easily repaired but that doesn't resolve the other issues...

@k90tour I’ve no idea why you didn’t send it back within 30 seconds of opening the box. You paid lots for a collectors price of HiFi. I’d not even had bothered plugging it in or removing it from the box. Get Vickers to arrange collection and issue a full refund. This it superbly stupid and appalling service from them.

Last edited:
The worse packaging I received was from here as it goes. An ipad purchased in the ads section was sent in one of those plastic bag envelopes between to layers of card. Miraculously it was undamaged!

We took delivery of a a microwave from appliances direct the other week, it was advertised as a return and without original packaging. I think they thought they did well by putting it in a box 4 times bigger than it and just stuffing it full of bubbly wrap, but alas, apart from looking like a Flaming lips concert the front panel was totally smashed off. You do have to wonder.

@k90tour I’ve no idea why you didn’t send it back within 30 seconds of opening the box. You paid lots for a collectors price of HiFi. I’d not even had bothered plugging it in or removing it from the box. Get Vickers to arrange collection and issue a full refund. This it superbly stupid and appalling service from them.

DO NOT do this. If it 'goes missing' and they don't provide a tracking number for the return you won't be covered on eBay. Use the Ebay Managed Returns process only.

Vickers are responsible for delivering it, and should be responsible for collecting it, it’s their responsibility to insure it. Point is no insurance company will cover it without original packaging. Just because they used eBay to sell it doesn’t absolve them of responsibilities or consumer law.

Vickers are responsible for delivering it, and should be responsible for collecting it, it’s their responsibility to insure it. Point is no insurance company will cover it without original packaging. Just because they used eBay to sell it doesn’t absolve them of responsibilities or consumer law.

While this is true, in a normal point to point sale , this has been bought through a third party.

Its best to use eBays returns system, otherwise the return won't 'technically' be covered, and if Vickers decide to play silly beggars, he would then have to go down a legal route etc. Why bother with the hassle, do it properly from the start.

Yes it will mean taking it a Post Office, which is highly inconvenient considering the weight of these things and its Vickers responsibility, but nothing worse than the whole thing going tits up because there isn't a tracking number provided and they don't refund, and some kid in a call centre in the Philippines decides to close the return in the sellers favour as the 'item wasn't returned'.

Vickers HiFi have been going for 50+ years... if they plan on continuing, they should honor the return/refund.

Even if the return is issued/accepted via eBay it still doesnt stop Vickers from sending a courier to collect. I have done this before, not so long ago.

I still can't beleive any dealer who has this kind cred and pedegree to have knowing destroyed a highly collectable peice of digital HiFi history.

advertisement

Back