advertisement

The Euro 2020 (football) thread.

Football is a game where the result can often be decided by a fluke or a bad ref decision since the scoring is usually very close. That’s why we end up with all this vitriol.

No we end up with all these vitriol because football attracts people who place its importance much higher than it really is... I have another word for them, but AUP and all that!

It was a penalty because the referee, assisted by VAR, said it was. England won. End of story. Simply move on. There has never been an alternative to this being the way it works.

It was a penalty because the referee, assisted by VAR, said it was. England won. End of story. Simply move on. There has never been an alternative to this being the way it works.
I was wrong then. Until now I thought the ref had to base his decisions on rules.

indeed but you appear to be new here. PFM has its own reality, supported by self appointed experts that are glass half empty and perpetually grumpy people

I thought the ref had to base his decisions on rules

yes what the ref saw, and applied the rules. We are not in control of what the ref saw, nor their decision making. VAR looked and chose not to overturn yhe decision as they didn't think a mistake (in awarding the penalty).

Exactly!!

When asked about one of the worst ever penalty decisions against his team, the great Brian Clough replied “it WAS a penalty! because the referee said it was “.

Seems little point arguing over if it was a penalty or not. Can't we all just be happy we're in a final?

Or, if we're Scottish, have a good old moan about how unfair it all is. Being of 'mixed heritage', I get to be happy and have a good old moan about how unfair it all is.

Or, if we're Scottish, have a good old moan about how unfair it all is. Being of 'mixed heritage', I get to be happy and have a good old moan about how unfair it all is.

I would have thought your English half would have been thoroughly peed off having to listen to your Scottish half moaning all the time; a little like how the silent majority of PFM members feel.

I would have thought your English half would have been thoroughly peed off having to listen to your Scottish half moaning all the time; a little like how the silent majority of PFM members feel.

I've emailed the F.A. about Sunday's Euro final

Suggested that after taking 'the Knee', they also undertake a minute's silence to lament all the poor and unfortunate people who cannot be with us.. Like the Scottish :)

Funny enough, the thing that everyone hates Sterling for - apart from City supporters - made him now the national hero. With the same people.

Funny enough, the thing that everyone hates Sterling for - apart from City supporters - made him now the national hero. With the same people.

I get the point you are making but please do not use the word 'hate'. I have been a City supporter for 65 years and along with many other City fans we recognise his limitations. We certainly don't hate him. Yes he has his attributes (attitude, fitness and speed) and I don't think for one second that he is a cheat. My criticism of him when comparing him to the rest of the City squad (a very high bar indeed) is that he is a lightweight. No matter which half of the pitch he is playing or which direction he is running one little touch and he falls over. Although he has definatelly improved under the management of Guardiola and even as he has grown stronger he, unfortunately, is limited by his lack of balance and basic football intelligence. It is this God given and rare inate intelligence which elevates his teammates to world class status. I suggest that it is for these reasons that Liverpool sold him to City. Hate? no. Like as a person? yes. Prefer Foden? definately YES.

I get the point you are making but please do not use the word 'hate'. I have been a City supporter for 65 years and along with many other City fans we recognise his limitations. We certainly don't hate him. Yes he has his attributes (attitude, fitness and speed) and I don't think for one second that he is a cheat. My criticism of him when comparing him to the rest of the City squad (a very high bar indeed) is that he is a lightweight. No matter which half of the pitch he is playing or which direction he is running one little touch and he falls over. Although he has definatelly improved under the management of Guardiola and even as he has grown stronger he, unfortunately, is limited by his lack of balance and basic football intelligence. It is this God given and rare inate intelligence which elevates his teammates to world class status. I suggest that it is for these reasons that Liverpool sold him to City. Hate? no. Like as a person? yes. Prefer Foden? definately YES.

Wise words and similar to lots of views held about him by City fans. He should be scoring lots more goals when you consider the opportunities he has in front of goal.

He wanted to leave LFC and had some personal issues to deal with, that's why he was sold to City for a great deal of money for such a young man I recall?

I think Sterling has done pretty well, I wish he played for my team. The not picking criticism from City fans just highlights the typical entitled EPL fan I’m afraid. He’s consistently excellent for England, maybe he feels more supported?

advertisement

Back